Can I keep part of a security deposit for a broken garbage disposal.

Can I keep part of a security deposit for a broken garbage disposal.

Gina CabellPro Member
Marina Del Rey / Philadelphia · Member since 2018 · 16 posts · 5 votes

I had a brand new garbage disposal installed in my rental property 2-3 years ago.  I recently had a mid term renter call me last month to tell me that it was broken.  When he moved in, I gave him written instructions not to put large food items down the sink.  He just moved out.  Can I charge his security deposit for the broken garbage disposal?

0Reply
90 views

Most Popular Reply

Honolulu, HI · Member since 2008 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
3y
Aloha,

Define "broken". If it just needs the reset button pushed, and/or a typical unjamming of the cutter blades, that's about three minutes work, and I would not bother. If, on the other hand, they have dumped multiple screws into it, or somehow managed to physically break the housing, there isn't much to break. Older ones often rust out and start leaking out of the housing, but that is clearly an age issue.

If the drain was left clogged AND the disposer jammed/reset tripped, then charge them the cost of clearing the line and disposer.  In any event, you cannot just arbitrarily pick a dollar amount to charge, you need to actually have an invoice for your expenditure, with notes as to findings by the person repairing (or clearing) the issue. Assuming it was operating properly at move in, and dependent on exactly what your Rental Agreement states with regard to plumbing stoppages and/or proper use of fixtures and appliances, yes, you should be able to deduct your actual cost to make it operational.

One additional note, there are some REALLY cheap disposers available, and you definitely get what you pay for. Stick with a midline Badger or InSinkErator, 1/2 horse or larger, and they will generally last until they DO rust through the housing.
See this reply in the discussion

12 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Severna Park, MD · Member since 2013 · 7k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    3y

    Avoid this problem in the future , get rid of the garbage disposal .

    Can You charge them ?   Sure ...  If they dispute it then you have to deal with that .

  • Honolulu, HI · Member since 2008 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    3y
    Aloha,

    Define "broken". If it just needs the reset button pushed, and/or a typical unjamming of the cutter blades, that's about three minutes work, and I would not bother. If, on the other hand, they have dumped multiple screws into it, or somehow managed to physically break the housing, there isn't much to break. Older ones often rust out and start leaking out of the housing, but that is clearly an age issue.

    If the drain was left clogged AND the disposer jammed/reset tripped, then charge them the cost of clearing the line and disposer.  In any event, you cannot just arbitrarily pick a dollar amount to charge, you need to actually have an invoice for your expenditure, with notes as to findings by the person repairing (or clearing) the issue. Assuming it was operating properly at move in, and dependent on exactly what your Rental Agreement states with regard to plumbing stoppages and/or proper use of fixtures and appliances, yes, you should be able to deduct your actual cost to make it operational.

    One additional note, there are some REALLY cheap disposers available, and you definitely get what you pay for. Stick with a midline Badger or InSinkErator, 1/2 horse or larger, and they will generally last until they DO rust through the housing.
  • Gina CabellPro Member
    OP
    Marina Del Rey / Philadelphia · Member since 2018 · 16 posts · 5 votes
    3y

    I know, everyone says to get rid of them.  My question is this something I have a leg to stand on if the tenant were to contest it?

  • Gina CabellPro Member
    OP
    Marina Del Rey / Philadelphia · Member since 2018 · 16 posts · 5 votes
    3y

    @Richard F. It had to be replaced - cost $360 for the new disposal and installation.  

  • Investor · Hyattsville, MD · Member since 2012 · 822 posts · 441 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Gina Cabell:

    @Richard F. It had to be replaced - cost $360 for the new disposal and installation.  


    Disposals can fail after 3 years due to no fault of the resident (especially the cheap insinkerator units from HD) You have to prove that it failed due to tenant negligence vs. from regular use or even just rusting out from the bottom. The really cheap ones use regular steel blades and materials that are prone to rust and or the motor could also easily crap out. The badger 1s only come with a 1 year warranty for good reason:) Were there obvious signs of foreign objects in the unit to suggest it wasnt wear and tear? Some of the nicer units come with 5 or 10 year warranties. Did yours have one that you might have been able to leverage for replacement? I wouldnt automatically deduct deposit without getting more feedback on the cause of failure from the contractor.
  • Honolulu, HI · Member since 2008 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    3y

    OK, so who said it needed to be replaced, and for what reason? What were their qualifications?

    A lot of plumbers work on a "flat rate" basis, and the easy, and more profitable thing for them to do, especially if the Owner, or someone knowledgeable is NOT watching/questioning them in the moment, is to replace it, and take the old one with them. A lot of handy persons are very poor at troubleshooting and just take the easy way out too. If you have a long standing relationship with the plumber/handy person, and know them to be looking out for what is best for you, and know them to truly be knowledgeable about their work, then no problem. But managing an average of well over 100 units for the past nearly 30 years, I have not seen a disposer "broken" by a Tenant. I have seen many fail due to age, either due to severe corrosion of the housing, or, ultimately, the windings of the armature became unwound, due to internal wear. I have seen many jammed pretty severely, and with metal screws or other bits in the rotating portion. All were unjammed and made operational, generally with only a few minutes effort. Sometimes, it takes a specialty tool to be able to reach in to retrieve something, especially metal, that has jammed the cutter, but even so it is a simple process. There have been a couple cases where I asked them to leave the old disposer at the unit (or drop it by my office) to see first hand, and to show our Client when THEY asked the question!

    If I had what I knew to be (and we note brand/color on move in condition forms) a typical disposer less than three years old, and a plumber wanted to replace it because it was broken, I would ask him to tell me (I always have service call vendors call me from site for approvals once they determine the problem) what is broken, and I would ask him to text me a photo to see for myself what he is looking at. Then I have a good response for MY Client!

    You might also revisit your instructions to incoming Tenants to include more complete instructions on what they should/should not put down it, and more importantly the proper procedure(s) for doing so to avoid many blockages. (Turn on water full blast and start the disposer BEFORE putting anything significant into the drain) It is not really meant to dump LOTS of food waste down, most should be scraped directly off of dishes into the trash. Bones of any kind, stringy vegetables, rice and similar products that can expand when soaked, are primary to avoid. I am often surprised that this far into the 21st Century, there are a lot of people that have never used a disposer before, especially younger Tenants and new Families, as well as people from many other countries. I always ask if they know how to reset and clear a jam, if not, I show them and tell them they can save an easy $150 doing it themselves. They are always appreciative. A six dollar disposer wrench should always be kept under the sink.

  • Rental Property Investor · Fayetteville, NC · Member since 2014 · 884 posts · 670 votes
    3y

    @Gina Cabell - “brand new” three years ago…… So just to be clear - it’s not anywhere near new. It’s three years old and likely 100% your responsibility.

  • John UnderwoodPro Member
    Investor · Greer, SC · Member since 2014 · 13k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Gina Cabell:

    I know, everyone says to get rid of them.  My question is this something I have a leg to stand on if the tenant were to contest it?

    Probably not. This seems like normal wear and tear.
  • Nathan GesnerBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes
    3y

    It depends on whether you have evidence they've misused or abused it.

    Sometimes devices fail on their own. A garbage disposal can easily last 7-10 years if used properly, but sometimes things break due to poor design and it's nobody's fault.

    If you have evidence the Tenant broke it, then you can charge them a depreciated value. If you assume the disposal should last seven years, it's three years old, you can charge for the remaining four years of life.

    $300 / 7 = $42.86 per year

    $42.86 x 4 = $171.44

    The Tenant can always challenge your charges which is why you should only charge if you have evidence to back your claim.

    The DIY Landlord Book4.7248 Reviews
  • Property Manager · Phoenix, AZ · Member since 2023 · 101 posts · 77 votes
    3y

    Adding to the already sufficient answers, yes you can charge it against the deposit and the tenant does have a right to contest it. However, no one has mentioned yet that the tenant is highly unlikely to contest it outside of making an angry phone call to you. In practice, a tenant formally challenging a deposit withholding will have to file a small claims suit against you. Generally, this will cost way more than the value of the disposal charge, so they don't bother. Still though, you should have your justifications documented either way. Best of luck!

  • Ned J.Pro Member
    Investor · Manteca, CA · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    3y

    You have to prove that it was the tenants fault it failed.... it cant just be "well it worked when you moved in and now it doesnt work, so you have to pay full price for me to replace it". 

    Stuff breaks even when its used properly.... things have an average lifespan even with proper use.

    If you feel pretty confident on tenant abuse, you can charge the depreciated value of the unit and see what happens. As stated, many with pitch a fit and then let it go since its not worth pursing. 

  • Real Estate Agent · Austin, TX · Member since 2020 · 1k+ posts · 941 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Gina Cabell:

    I had a brand new garbage disposal installed in my rental property 2-3 years ago.  I recently had a mid term renter call me last month to tell me that it was broken.  When he moved in, I gave him written instructions not to put large food items down the sink.  He just moved out.  Can I charge his security deposit for the broken garbage disposal?


     It'd be hard to prove. I would probably just have it be a cost of doing business.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.