Tenant is requesting to get a cat

Tenant is requesting to get a cat

Investor · Mission Viejo, CA · Member since 2013 · 48 posts · 14 votes

Hi,

I have a tenant that has leasing my property for over a year and has been good at making their payments on time (in other words a pretty good tenant). They asked if they could get a cat. We currently have a no pets stipulaton in the lease. They are renting a 2000sqft SFR.

I have read some of the posts with the issues with cat urine and trying to clean up after the tenant leaves.

I'm debating what to do. I'm thinking that I could say:

1) No. Have an upset tenant.

2) Yes and ask for a pet deposit. How much is the typical amount? I doubt it would cover re-carpeting the house though.

3) Yes and ask for a pet deposit and monthly pet rent adjustment. Is this allowable?

4) Any other options?

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks,

Dean

0Reply
112 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2013 · 922 posts · 336 votes
12y

James is Correct

If the cat stays the cat needs to pay. sad, but true.

See this reply in the discussion

37 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2013 · 348 posts · 111 votes
    12y

    @Jon K. good to know then. I will be more strict on my leases.

    Can you explain a bit more how cats destroy crown molding? I can't really think of it without letting my imagination run wild.

  • Investor · Nashville, TN · Member since 2014 · 21 posts · 2 votes
    12y

    I am not sure if the 'problem' has been fixed. Just to let you know I am not a landlord (not yet) and am not a 'cat lover.' I know from personal experience that cats urine can linger for a LOOONG time. My sister had a cat growing up in my parent's house and the cat has not lived there for around 8 years. WE CAN STILL SMELL THE URINE. My wife is allergic to cats and every time we go to my parent's she gets affected by it. Just a thought. I liked to hear tons of different views. Thanks.

  • Investor · Apple Valley, MN · Member since 2013 · 281 posts · 94 votes
    12y
    One thing that hasn't been brought up is the smell that cats leave behind, especially in a carpeted home. I have allergies an asthma to the dander on cats. If I walk in a home, in 90% of the homes I enter I can smell immediately how bad he problem is and how clean the person keeps their home with pets. But almost all homes smell real bad with pets sky me as a landlord don't want the smell that pets add.
  • Chicago, IL · Member since 2014 · 710 posts · 200 votes
    12y

    @Jon K. I've had a few cats in my rentals and never had an issue. Guess I got lucky.

  • Member since 2011 · 798 posts · 216 votes
    12y
    Originally posted by @Rafael Floresta:
    @Jon K. good to know then. I will be more strict on my leases.

    Can you explain a bit more how cats destroy crown molding? I can't really think of it without letting my imagination run wild.

    For some reason they like to scratch crown molding. And wood window blinds.

    Also, they can pee/spray/mark on baseboard molding, carpet, and everything else. And the fur everywhere. And litter box... literally tracking crap around. Ick.

    Some people are responsible with well-trained pets who clean up promptly after pets. Even then, pets can get sick (from agedness, stomach "flu", bladder infection, etc.).

  • Investor · Northwest, PA · Member since 2013 · 107 posts · 24 votes
    12y

    "just say no to cats"

    We have looked at a few potential properties that had cats in them prior...they reaked...bad.

    Nothing against cat owners, but we do not allow them.

  • Investor · Northwest, PA · Member since 2013 · 107 posts · 24 votes
    12y

    we do allow dogs, but charge an extra $20/month.

  • Joel OwensBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Canton, GA · Member since 2010 · 15k+ posts · 11k+ votes
    12y

    What happens if the dog doesn't get walked?? Pee and crap everywhere.

    If the owner puts the cat or dog on vinyl floors in the kitchen then easy cleanup or on tiles while they are gone. This all goes back to not a dog or a cat but the tenant. You give me a tenant where the place was trashed by a pet and I will trace back to an inept tenant caring for them. If the cat is young and does not have toys and scratch pads they will claw everything. A dog will gnaw at things just the same if they can't get out energy. If crappy cat litter is used and the litter box not cleaned they will go outside the box. If they are not fixed they will spray the walls to mark territory.

    Even if you say you do not allow pets they can still get a pet against your will and it can trash the place before you find out from inspections. So do not think just because you say no you are now protected. The only difference now is you are not collecting a deposit and monthly money for it.

    When you get into more than one rental and scale you will find many tenants want pets. If you have a larger apartment complex you will run into this issue. Even if no pets there are tenants that are older that can't take care of themselves as well and these tenants run down the units more. The seniors also tend to be on fixed budgets so you can't increase rents as often.

    Every choice an investor makes has a plus and minus to it from type of tenants to allowing pets etc. Damage to units is just part of being a landlord over the long haul. Bullett proofing your rentals helps them take a bunch of abuse and minimal rehab costs for re-renting again.

    I love the old kitchen cabinets because the old wood takes a beating. Sand down, repaint and go again. The particle board crap they sell today is one and done composite board where if any water hits it then it goes 5 times it's size.

  • Investor · Middletown, NJ · Member since 2008 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    12y

    In our condos, we allow 1 cat or one dog under 25 pounds. This is also the association rule for each complex. We get a pet deposit and do periodic inspections. Most of the condos have tile/wood floors, not carpet. I would never allow a cat in a house that is fully carpeted. That said, a friend of mine at one time had 4 cats and 20 birds in a rental apartment. She kept it immaculate. Each cat had its own litter box and a lot of her time was spent cleaning.

    She was a rare case for a tenant, but they do exist. My deciding factor would be how much carpet would I have to replace. If more than one bedroom, no way.

    And a friend just posted this on Facebook:

    "One of the cats just threw up behind my computer desk -- a massive tsunami of hairballs and other nastiness that somehow managed to avoid landing on any wires or electric cords. I have to admit, that took skill."

  • Real Estate Broker · Cleveland Dayton Cincinnati Toledo Columbus & Akron, OH · Member since 2013 · 30k+ posts · 20k+ votes
    12y

    Where did she fit 20 birds? Separate cages, one big one?

  • Nicole A.Pro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Baltimore County Maryland and Tampa Florida · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    12y

    Instead of a hefty deposit upfront, you could simply add a pet fee, treated as additional rent, each month of whatever you think is fair. $30/month? More/less?

    Write up an addendum allowing the cat and stating the fee. But be sure you word it that the fee is "additional rent"!!

    Most cats want to use their litter box. There is hardly any "training" about it. You show them where the box is.

    Are your tenants clean people? If they seem to keep a clean house, then they will keep a clean litter box...and kitty will want to use that litter box. No problems.

    Cats really don't want to pee everywhere like the stories seem to suggest.

    I would require that they show proof the cat is fixed and has shots. And don't let them get away with that "oh the vet won't fix the cat until he/she is 6 months." That, in my opinion, is BS. I let a tenant do that and they kept dragging on getting that cat fixed. You do not want one cat to turn into litters of cats.

    They indeed CAN be fixed before 6 months old. If they adopt from a shelter (I hope they do), shelters fix them before letting them go home anyway.

  • Colorado Springs, CO · Member since 2012 · 39 posts · 12 votes
    12y

    I told the neighbors that I had just rented the house to a young couple who had one dog and no children. They told me that they'd rather live next to a dog or cat than a house full of kids.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.