Rental properties, how would you approach the listing and showing?

Rental properties, how would you approach the listing and showing?

Member since 2022 · 52 posts · 25 votes

Calling attention for Landlord and Realtors, how would you approached the listing the rental properties? I have just finished rennovating my duplex in central New Jersey. And have listed for a week now, only have two showings. As I am anxious to rent them out and wanted to know why there is so limited showing. Below are some of my observations and I wanted to get your opinion, and how would you have handled this to attract more showings and speed up the process. 

1) I tried to look up my rental property online ( my realtor listed this for), I am not able to find this property as an active rental on Zillow, trulia and apartment rental websites, I know it got listed on MLS. Does my agent put too much limit on where to advertise the rental property?

2) My agent has gotten approached by quite a number of potential tenants, but instead of showing them the property first. She sends application form and background check forms for them to fill out before they even get to see the property. Her rational is that she is not comfortable about showing the property without knowing much about the candidates. 

The more I think about this approach, the more I think there is a mismatch here. Number 1 proberly limited potential quality tenants finding this active listing, number 2 deters potential good tenants because of the strict process in place before showing. 

I started to wonder if this is a mis match of the project and the agent. She is a good residential agent and excels in buying and selling. But she was not extremely comfortable about taking on this rental project from the very beginning. A few things included not willing to use my contract template but realtor standard template, and told me she does not do much rental, and the time she spent on rental is just as much on buy & sell but much less commission. I also realzied she lives a little far from the rental property and possibly becasue of all of these reasons that she went with the approach 1 &2 as I mentioned above? 

Look forward to hearing your perspective and feedback. 

3Reply
48 views

Most Popular Reply

Bjorn AhlbladPro Member
Investor · Shelton, WA · Member since 2017 · 6k+ posts · 6k+ votes
2y

My goal is qualified applicants, not showings. So I won't show to anyone who is not pre-qualified. They need to earn the right to see the apartment or duplex. This has worked well for me. Do whatever you think is right for you.

See this reply in the discussion

19 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Lender · Member since 2023 · 52 posts · 18 votes
    2y

    I would try and find an agent who specializes in leasing residential rentals or a property management company.  You could also list it yourself as an alternative.  

    This being said two showings in the first week isn’t bad.  I would want to understand why they didn’t want to lease after the showings.  

  • Argyle, TX · Member since 2013 · 76 posts · 21 votes
    2y

    In my experience, people want to see it before filling out the application.  

  • Colleen F.Pro Member
    Investor · Narragansett, RI · Member since 2013 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    2y

    @Yangyang Jin They don't have to do the whole application pre-showing just some questions. I would find someone who does rentals or do it yourself. 

  • Bjorn AhlbladPro Member
    Investor · Shelton, WA · Member since 2017 · 6k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    2y

    My goal is qualified applicants, not showings. So I won't show to anyone who is not pre-qualified. They need to earn the right to see the apartment or duplex. This has worked well for me. Do whatever you think is right for you.

  • Member since 2022 · 52 posts · 25 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Rivers Fike:

    I would try and find an agent who specializes in leasing residential rentals or a property management company.  You could also list it yourself as an alternative.  

    This being said two showings in the first week isn’t bad.  I would want to understand why they didn’t want to lease after the showings.  

    Thank you Rivers. The first is looking for more property while mine is an apartment so it didn't work out for them. The second thinks the price the interior works out for them, but said they smell mold. I had a mold remediation company checked right after, they do not see any warning signs except that they see the air is old, need to open the windows more to make sure the air is fresh. 
  • Josh YoungPro Member
    Rental Property Investor / REALTOR® / Property Manager · Gilbert, AZ · Member since 2023 · 385 posts · 421 votes
    2y

    @Yangyang Jin all of the concerns you listed are valid, you need to either take this rental listing over yourself or find a professional property manager to help you.  Also, buy an air freshener (glade plug-in).

  • Rental Property Investor · Member since 2019 · 411 posts · 148 votes
    2y

    @Yangyang Jin I also tend to take the application first approach because there are a lot of people who waste time, aren't serious or don't really have the $$ for the apartment. Having said that, maybe it's worthwhile to notify all interested parties of an open house/walkthrough for one weekend. Have an application station on site.

    If exposure is an issue, you need to make sure your rental is listed on all popular sites and MLS ideally.

    If all of these occur and still no solid applicants the issue is likely the price.

  • Member since 2019 · 104 posts · 72 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Yangyang Jin:

    Calling attention for Landlord and Realtors, how would you approached the listing the rental properties? I have just finished rennovating my duplex in central New Jersey. And have listed for a week now, only have two showings. As I am anxious to rent them out and wanted to know why there is so limited showing. Below are some of my observations and I wanted to get your opinion, and how would you have handled this to attract more showings and speed up the process. 

    1) I tried to look up my rental property online ( my realtor listed this for), I am not able to find this property as an active rental on Zillow, trulia and apartment rental websites, I know it got listed on MLS. Does my agent put too much limit on where to advertise the rental property?

    2) My agent has gotten approached by quite a number of potential tenants, but instead of showing them the property first. She sends application form and background check forms for them to fill out before they even get to see the property. Her rational is that she is not comfortable about showing the property without knowing much about the candidates. 

    The more I think about this approach, the more I think there is a mismatch here. Number 1 proberly limited potential quality tenants finding this active listing, number 2 deters potential good tenants because of the strict process in place before showing. 

    I started to wonder if this is a mis match of the project and the agent. She is a good residential agent and excels in buying and selling. But she was not extremely comfortable about taking on this rental project from the very beginning. A few things included not willing to use my contract template but realtor standard template, and told me she does not do much rental, and the time she spent on rental is just as much on buy & sell but much less commission. I also realzied she lives a little far from the rental property and possibly becasue of all of these reasons that she went with the approach 1 &2 as I mentioned above? 

    Look forward to hearing your perspective and feedback. 

    If she's actually requesting a full background check just to see it, that's a little much. Most people will balk at paying $60 just to see a place. Obviously you need a full background check once you extend an offer, but a quick pre-screen, either online or over the phone, that doesn't cost them anything should be enough. Yes, a few people, or a lot if you are unlucky, will lie during the pre-screen, but most of them won't actually pay to get the screening where you will find their evictions and felonies. Some will though, and that will waste your time... but you can't fix stupid.

    Also, you should list on multiple places. I'm not saying just throw it on FB marketplace (where you'll get a LOT of leads, but most will be trash) or Craigslist (where you'll have a lot of leads that actually follow up, but it will be trashy people), but you probably want to at least be on Zillow (even if their screening is trash).
  • Andrew FreedBusiness Member
    Investor · Worcester, MA · Member since 2020 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    2y

    @Yangyang Jin Personally I prefer to show my units to qualified tenants. Why waste everyones time if the person won't even pass the rental criteria? With that said, I like to use a questionairre approach and ask them information about the rental criteria prior to showing. To have them complete a full application with a background check / credit pull is a big ask if they don't think they have a high liklihood of getting the apartment. 

    Additionally, the listing should we visible on all platforms including facebook marketplace, zillow, apartments.com and the MLS. If it isn't, you should have this corrected ASAP.

    Lastly, make sure to employ patience in renting the unit. Don't rush the rental to a bad tenant to save yourself 1 month of vacancy..... this has caused way more frustration down the road in my opinion. Especially if it turns into  an eviction that will cost you a lot more money than 1 additional month of vacancy. Best of luck in filling the unit. 

  • Theresa HarrisPro Member
    Member since 2019 · 15k+ posts · 11k+ votes
    2y

    I agree with the others.  She should let them know the rental requirements before showing to avoid tire kickers wasting her time, but completing a full application will deter quite a few people (because people don't want to do anything extra).

    For advertizing, find out what is the best couple of rental platforms to use for your area (because they do differ by city) and make sure she posts the ads there.  You could always have a friend contact her to say they are interested in looking at the place and see what response they get.

  • Investor · NJ · Member since 2017 · 46 posts · 24 votes
    2y

    I'm a landlord in the Central Jersey area too. I only use Zillow and it usually gets at least 50 responses. I always pre-qualified people when they call me or email me. I'll pre-qualify them for income and usually try to get to know a little bit more about why they're moving. I always make sure that they have references from a previous landlord before I show. I tried to reduce the number of people I'm going to show it to. My time is valuable just like yours. I've never asked an agent to lease my apartment for me so I'm not sure what that's like but sometimes I'll get a call from a realtor that wants to show it for their client. I always let them know that I'm not going to be paying any commission. I'd rather they didn't show it anyway because like you said they do need to use their own rental lease agreement for their agency. It just makes things more complicated. If they want to apply now I use the Zillow application for their background check and the tenant can keep using that background check with other landlords for 30 days for about $30. That way I don't feel guilty about having them to pay an application fee where they may be unlikely to get accepted.

  • Real Estate Agent · Parsippany, NJ · Member since 2013 · 186 posts · 71 votes
    2y

    @Yangyang Jin Where is your property located? Depending on where, I might be able to give you better insights as to how showings should be progressing.

    To answer your questions, we, as realtors, do not get to limit where our listings are getting syndicated to. There is however, some places that you need to list it separately in order to get traffic there as well.

    I do not agree with filling out paperwork prior to touring a unit. There are several ways in which landlords want their perspective tenants apply for a rental and it doesn't make sense to go through the application process prior to seeing a property. Plus, there's a ton of scammers out there that ask the same of renters, so I advise anyone that calls me to avoid filling out anything prior to actually touring.

    You can very easily vet everyone over the phone, which is what I do with everyone that calls me prior to scheduling a tour. 

    You may want to look for someone else to list your rentals. Depending on where it is, I may be able to help and if can't personally, I can probably refer you to someone who can.

  • Matthew Irish-JonesBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Buffalo, NY · Member since 2017 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    2y

    @Yangyang Jin

    We market the heck out of our rentals to drive demand and get people in units quickly. Our system allows for open house style showings at the tenants convenience. Once one tenant scheduled a showing more can pile on. All of our systems for showings are

    Automated and we make it easy to apply and easy to show.

    If Your Realtor wants applications before doing a showing they should also be offering an open house style showing. No one wants to spend $20 applying for something they have not seen. You cannot

    Have your cake and eat it to.

    We rent 20+ units a month of all different price points. We have to strike a balance between accessibility and efficiency. Property marketing units and getting the most people in ASAP has been what as worked best for us.

    Irish Jones Realty4.947 Reviews
    View Page
  • Member since 2022 · 52 posts · 25 votes
    2y

    thank you Cheryl, for your feedback information. My property is in Bernardsville, NJ. I have sent you a connection request, look forward to having a discussion with you. 

  • Real Estate Agent · Parsippany, NJ · Member since 2013 · 186 posts · 71 votes
    2y

    I received and sent you a note. I could totally help you with that should your agent want to let it go since it's not in her wheelhouse and out of her area of coverage. Let's chat!!

  • Investor · Northern NJ · Member since 2022 · 30 posts · 7 votes
    2y

    Seems like your realtor is not putting the time or attention needed for this rental which is likely due to the small commission for a rental as compared to the sale of a home. More important to work with a realtor who knows the area and focuses on rentals. 

    In terms of completing application and background checks before seeing the property, I would not recommend doing this unless rent is at the higher end of the market. This will certainly deter people from looking. Your realtor should be able to weed out unqualified candidates by asking a few questions over the phone. 

  • Investor · Toledo, OH · Member since 2020 · 28 posts · 16 votes
    2y

    @Yangyang Jin

    I only use Zillow. We have used then for the past three years and there are plenty of leads. I too only show the property once a lead has filled out an application.

    On my listing, it clearly states, we only show properties to qualified applicants.

    BTW, you can download the Zillow Rental Manager App and can completely handle all of your contacts/leads/applications and conversations from there.
    Hope this helps..
    Victor

  • Member since 2022 · 52 posts · 25 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Victor Soni:

    @Yangyang Jin

    I only use Zillow. We have used then for the past three years and there are plenty of leads. I too only show the property once a lead has filled out an application.

    On my listing, it clearly states, we only show properties to qualified applicants.

    BTW, you can download the Zillow Rental Manager App and can completely handle all of your contacts/leads/applications and conversations from there.
    Hope this helps..
    Victor

    Thank you Victor, it's really good to hear your experience and makes me firm up the idea of listing on my own now. 
  • Corby GoadeBusiness Member
    Investor · Boise, ID · Member since 2014 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    2y

    Your realtor might be doing a great job or they might be lazy, honestly no way to tell. Each MLS syndicates diffrently to different sites, so you might ask them what sites their MLS syndicates to. Zillow is weird also- our MLS and personal website syndicate to Zillow, but sometimes if you search the address it will bring up a listing from 10 years ago. Who knows why.

    I can tell you from 20+ years experience doing this, showing a rental to anyone who asks is a HUGE waste of time. I know its stressful for you as an owner, but your agent presumably has experience pre screening and vetting potential tenants, so you either need to trust their expertise or let them go. 

    If you show the property to anyone with a pulse, your showings will go great and on the way out the door, every prospective tenant will ask "is it cool if we are unemployed? Do you rent to convicted murderers? Our credit score is 7, but that's becasue of medical bills." etc. There has to be some sort of vetting before you show a property. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.