First steps to becoming a landlord, and questions we currently have.

First steps to becoming a landlord, and questions we currently have.

Member since 2022 · 7 posts · 4 votes

Hey all! 

My wife and I are currently renovating my 3 bed 2 bath house in San Diego. We have gotten done with almost all of our renovations needed to rent out our rooms. We are expecting to have tenants renting out the extra 2 bedrooms in the house by late November. We have had roommates before but have never been landlords before, as this will be our first time actually giving someone a lease. 

A few questions I have is where can I find a lease? I have found a few websites that will generate them, but there are a lot. Are any better than the other, is there a specific site anyone recommends? 

 How much does it cost to have an attorney look over it, and is that necessary?

 Does anyone have any tips or tricks as to what to put in the lease to keep ourselves in a good legal position? By that I mean any addendums, additions, extra paperwork that needs to be signed, and where to sign it? 

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! 

Thanks!

1Reply
24 views

Most Popular Reply

CPA and Attorney · San Diego, attorney · Member since 2022 · 301 posts · 219 votes
2y

@Regnor VonDedenroth

Congrats on jumping into the next step in your RE journey!

The question of whether you need an attorney really depends.  A terrible answer, but true.  It depends on the quality of the lease as your starting point, your risk tolerance, and the possible risk inherent in your property and/or tenants.  If you can get access to the CAR forms, that may be an excellent starting point for you.

*This post does not create an attorney-client or CPA-client relationship.  The information contained in this post is not to be relied upon.  Readers are advised to seek professional advice.

See this reply in the discussion

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • CPA and Attorney · San Diego, attorney · Member since 2022 · 301 posts · 219 votes
    2y

    @Regnor VonDedenroth

    Congrats on jumping into the next step in your RE journey!

    The question of whether you need an attorney really depends.  A terrible answer, but true.  It depends on the quality of the lease as your starting point, your risk tolerance, and the possible risk inherent in your property and/or tenants.  If you can get access to the CAR forms, that may be an excellent starting point for you.

    *This post does not create an attorney-client or CPA-client relationship.  The information contained in this post is not to be relied upon.  Readers are advised to seek professional advice.

  • Real Estate Agent · San Diego, CA · Member since 2014 · 338 posts · 176 votes
    2y

    @Regnor VonDedenroth

    I've always recommend using the standard California Association of Realtors lease forms. This was also what Katie mentioned.

    I personally have not hired an attorney to review any of my leases. You could but likely not necessary. 

  • Investor · Member since 2023 · 118 posts · 61 votes
    2y

    @Regnor VonDedenroth

    Checkout your local apartment association for forms.  With all the landlord/tenant litigation in CA I'm sure their forms have been scrutinized very closely by the legal eagles.

    You might also, as suggested, want to look into CAR forms. Coincidently, I spoke with CAR the other day, $999/yr for electronic form access, pretty sure you don't have to be a licensee or Realtor. If you are a broker, or sales person through your broker, you get form access for free by joining your local MLS and CAR, the cost of joining is about the same $999/yr.

  • Nate MeekerBusiness Member
    Real Estate CPA | California · Member since 2020 · 544 posts · 251 votes
    2y

    @Regnor VonDedenroth I agree with Katie. I've seen myself and other benefit greatly from an attorney. In my opinion, it is always better to be proactive... especially when it comes to CA law.

    The CPA Realtor 570 Reviews
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.