Tenant asking landlord for home insurance copy?

Tenant asking landlord for home insurance copy?

Real Estate Agent · Malden, MA · Member since 2019 · 50 posts · 13 votes

Hi,

I have tenant asking for a copy of home insurance. Tenant is saying their car insurance company requires them to have proof of home insurance for the home they live in so they can renew their car insurance. They park car on the street as their is no onsite parking. I have landlord insurance policy which does not cover any tenants belongings. I do not intend to cover any of their belongings. I find that the request by tenant is weird, not sure if I should give them the copy of my insurance. Any suggestion on if landlord should give tenants copy of home insurance?

Thanks,

Yuzi

0Reply
42 views

Most Popular Reply

Jason BottPro Member
Insurance Agent · Nationwide · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
2y
Quote from @Yuzi Stha:

Hi,

I have tenant asking for a copy of home insurance. Tenant is saying their car insurance company requires them to have proof of home insurance for the home they live in so they can renew their car insurance. They park car on the street as their is no onsite parking. I have landlord insurance policy which does not cover any tenants belongings. I do not intend to cover any of their belongings. I find that the request by tenant is weird, not sure if I should give them the copy of my insurance. Any suggestion on if landlord should give tenants copy of home insurance?

Thanks,

Yuzi


 Yuzi, your tenant is confused.  The insurance carrier is asking for the Tenant's Homeowners policy (if they are home owners) or Renters insurance if they are renters.  Your Landlord policy will not give them what they need.

See this reply in the discussion

5 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Boston, Massachusetts (MA) · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    2y

    I haven’t heard of that and I’m struggling to come up with a legitimate reason it would be needed. 

    It sounds a bit like they might be trying to pass your homeowners insurance off as theirs to get a rate or worst case get their car on yours somehow? at the least they are trying to scam the insurance company to keeping their rate low?

  • Alecia LovelessPro Member
    Member since 2019 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    2y

    @Yuzi Stha I’d call your policy holder and see if there is any legitimate reason to do this before doing it.

  • Corby GoadeBusiness Member
    Investor · Boise, ID · Member since 2014 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Yuzi Stha:

    Hi,

    I have tenant asking for a copy of home insurance. Tenant is saying their car insurance company requires them to have proof of home insurance for the home they live in so they can renew their car insurance. They park car on the street as their is no onsite parking. I have landlord insurance policy which does not cover any tenants belongings. I do not intend to cover any of their belongings. I find that the request by tenant is weird, not sure if I should give them the copy of my insurance. Any suggestion on if landlord should give tenants copy of home insurance?

    Thanks,

    Yuzi


     We manage almost 300 doors and I've never heard of a request like this. I'd tell them to have their agent contact you directly. 

  • Jason BottPro Member
    Insurance Agent · Nationwide · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Yuzi Stha:

    Hi,

    I have tenant asking for a copy of home insurance. Tenant is saying their car insurance company requires them to have proof of home insurance for the home they live in so they can renew their car insurance. They park car on the street as their is no onsite parking. I have landlord insurance policy which does not cover any tenants belongings. I do not intend to cover any of their belongings. I find that the request by tenant is weird, not sure if I should give them the copy of my insurance. Any suggestion on if landlord should give tenants copy of home insurance?

    Thanks,

    Yuzi


     Yuzi, your tenant is confused.  The insurance carrier is asking for the Tenant's Homeowners policy (if they are home owners) or Renters insurance if they are renters.  Your Landlord policy will not give them what they need.

  • Insurance Agent · Norwalk, CT · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    2y

    Yuzi,

    The confusion probably comes from their agent referring to a Homeowners policy.  In the industry we know that a Condo Unit owners policy and a Renters policy are both types Homeowners policy forms. Outside the industry, people generally only use the term Homeowners for a policy for an owner occupied home.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.