My tenant is paying for half of her lease monthly. Her ex-husband is paying the remaining half in one payment up-front. How do I craft this lease language to protect myself?
Investor · Richmond, VA · Member since 2023 · 459 posts · 474 votes
2y
This sounds like a potential headache, so many ways it can go wrong or get complicated. I would keep the lease language specifying monthly rent payments. If they pay more up front that is fine, you can credit the balance.
Investor · MD · Member since 2023 · 71 posts · 45 votes
2y
Hi Sandra, great question! I know this was posted a while ago, so if you already made a decision I’d be curious to see what you did.
My first question would be if the woman qualifies for the unit on her own? You don’t want to be stuck in a situation where she can only afford it with her ex husband helping, so she stops paying you after a year. If she doesn’t have the credit score and income to pay for it herself, don’t rent to her.
I personally wouldn’t get involved or take the money from the ex husband. He can pay her the lump sum, and she can pay you rent in full each month like she normally would. You don’t want to be stuck in the middle of them.
Investor · Richmond, VA · Member since 2023 · 459 posts · 474 votes
2y
This sounds like a potential headache, so many ways it can go wrong or get complicated. I would keep the lease language specifying monthly rent payments. If they pay more up front that is fine, you can credit the balance.
Tenant is the ex-wife. Ex-husband is the guarantor of the lease.
In some states accepting pre-paid rent is not permitted. In that case either create an escrow account for the lump some and draw from it monthly OR 12 post-dated 1/2 monthly rent checks provided by the guarantor at signing would seem to work.