College Student Housing - what if a student moves out and stops paying?

College Student Housing - what if a student moves out and stops paying?

Member since 2018 · 6 posts · 2 votes

Hi all, I have been a LTR landlord for a long time, but I am new to renting to college students.  I got the place so my daughter would have a place to live for her last 2 years of college.  She had one of her "friends" move in (She and her parents signed the year's lease - Aug-July).  In December, the girl reached out saying that she wanted to do a sublease.  My lease says that all existing students must approve any subleasee moving in, since they will be the roommates and we don't want young girls living with 40 year old men and we require LGBTQ friendly.  So, the girl, T, goes ahead and moves out before she finds anyone, and signs a new lease in addition to ours.  She paid for January, but now hasn't paid for Feb.  We have been looking (in fact, I have spent many hours trying to help her; we had one ready to go and she changed her mind at the last minute), her last text to me said she "can't pay 2 rents."  I was guessing that her parents (who I try to keep out of it and let the 'kids' adult) were probably not told everything from their daughter.  The parents did co-sign.  I messaged the Dad today (he doesn't speak much English, so communication is harder) and his message suggested that the daughter had told him, it was done and she didn't have to pay anymore.  Ugh!  So, if I can't resolve this in a friendly manner and have to take them to court, do I continue to wait until the lease period ends (and continue to try and find a replacement during that time) - or do I evict her and then if I can't re-rent it out (which is hard since it is mid-semester), then go back to court asking for the funds to cover the lost time?  I am really hoping not to go there and will do everything I can to try and work this out, but the girl decided to sign 2 leases for the same time period, and I am left holding the bag. :(

0Reply
19 views

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Richmond, VA · Member since 2023 · 459 posts · 474 votes
    2y

    Sadly they made it unfriendly. In Virginia I would submit a suit for unlawful detainer to get a judgement against both the parents and the child (essentially an eviction). Explain to them that in order to avoid having a court judgement on their records they need to pay the rent.

    We did the same thing when our kids were in college and it worked out great but I did not have the other kids approve a new roommate. That seemed to be too likely to result in vacant rooms.

  • Cory J ThorntonBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Raleigh, NC · Member since 2021 · 240 posts · 281 votes
    2y

    @Lynne Gregorio - Sorry to hear about your current situation. In all cases, my first recommendation is to manage to the terms of your lease. Our process, supported by our lease, is If they have stopped paying rent, we notify them that a late fee is due after the 5th of the month. If we get to the 10th without collection, we automatically send or deliver a pay rent or quit notice. This initiates our eviction process. 

    If the person in question has communicated that she has moved out of the property and has in writing indicated that she is turning it back over to you, then I would not hesitate to get the place back on the market. If she has communicated that she is out of the property, then I would read your lease and see if there is a clause dealing with abandonment. 

  • Investor · Chico, CA · Member since 2015 · 12 posts · 5 votes
    2y

    I rent to college kids and always make sure the parents or someone is a guarantor and check their credit as well.  Some kids don't understand what a contract is and it really helps to reach out to their guarantor in situations like this.

  • Property Manager · San Diego, CA · Member since 2024 · 65 posts · 42 votes
    2y

    Her parents cosigned for her, so they are on the hook. Find someone who speaks the language of the father and ask them to translate for you. It might help.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.