How to enforce Water Sensors on lease agreement?

How to enforce Water Sensors on lease agreement?

Phoenix, AZ · Member since 2022 · 2 posts · 0 votes

I have a rental property that'll be going on the market soon but it has a water heater that's on the older end. I want to place wifi water sensors in all the major potential leak areas around the house. So my question is, how do you enforce that the tenant keep those sensors up and active? Most sensors need to be connected to wifi and checked on every once and a blue moon.

Is the best move to mandate in the contract that the tenant maintain those connected sensors and connect them to the wifi they pay for? Seems like something that would be hard to enforce and I've never seen that on a lease before.

0Reply
45 views

3 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Chris SeveneyBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Investor · VA · Member since 2015 · 21k+ posts · 19k+ votes
    2y

    @Brian Bardzik

    I would find it difficult to enforce a tenant to have to have WiFi

    What if it goes down and then there is a leak?

    I would use leak detection that auto shutoffs the water heater and dishwasher

    7e investments53 Reviews
  • Colleen F.Pro Member
    Investor · Narragansett, RI · Member since 2013 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    2y

    @Brian Bardzik don't they just make stupid water detectors anymore?  You know there is water and they start blaring a loud sound?   You can set them up with sensors and some might be good with it but you might want to have you accessing the app.  I know we have a furnace sensor like that. 

  • Phoenix, AZ · Member since 2022 · 2 posts · 0 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Colleen F.:

    @Brian Bardzik don't they just make stupid water detectors anymore?  You know there is water and they start blaring a loud sound?   You can set them up with sensors and some might be good with it but you might want to have you accessing the app.  I know we have a furnace sensor like that. 


     That's actually a great middle-ground solution! It won't necessarily notify me when a leak happens but at least it will wake up and alert any tenants that something is wrong.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.