Windows in property

Windows in property

Member since 2024 · 11 posts · 0 votes

Hi everyone i purchased a property and found out from the tenant that all of the windows are sealed shut. I’m not sure if this was done on purpose or because they had been repainted and dried shut over the years. The tenant says she had someone to break in the front window recently but for reasons unspoken I feel like that may have been someone she knew that couldn’t get in she has a family member staying with her. However, should I replace all of the windows in the house? I’m concerned that it’s a fire or safety issue? 

0Reply
90 views

Most Popular Reply

Nathan GesnerBusiness Member
Moderator
Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes
2y
Quote from @Shaunta M.:

1. You shouldn't buy a property without a home inspection. A home inspector would have identified the non-functional windows and that should have been addressed immediately.

2. Your tenant broke a window. Make them pay for the repair.

3. Yes, you should replace the windows as soon as financially possible. However, I recommend getting rid of this tenant first.


The DIY Landlord Book4.7248 Reviews
See this reply in the discussion

14 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Nathan GesnerBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Shaunta M.:

    1. You shouldn't buy a property without a home inspection. A home inspector would have identified the non-functional windows and that should have been addressed immediately.

    2. Your tenant broke a window. Make them pay for the repair.

    3. Yes, you should replace the windows as soon as financially possible. However, I recommend getting rid of this tenant first.


    The DIY Landlord Book4.7248 Reviews
  • Real Estate Agent · Lansing, MI · Member since 2020 · 171 posts · 91 votes
    2y

    In the grand scheme of things, yes, you should eventually replace the windows so 

    1) They operate properly. 
    2) It doesn't turn away potential tenants or cause maintenance hassles when a new one moves in.
    3) Tenants have proper egress in case of an emergency (like fire).

    Now, windows are expensive, so you'll have to decide how much you're willing to spend, based on how much income the property is bringing in. Windows are also a nice value-add to the property once it comes time to sell. 

    - Troy 

  • Member since 2024 · 11 posts · 0 votes
    2y

    Hi Nathan, I got an inspection but they didn’t find that issue. It was known before closing due to the tenant mentioning it, the same time she mentioned the window was broken into the seller dropped the price to compensate. I assumed that her family member got locked out and broke the front window to get in because she didn’t seem fearful at all about it. But she told the last owner it was a break in. After closing I heard that the area is known for the windows to be sealed to prevent break ins. So I was unsure if I should replace them. 

  • Member since 2024 · 11 posts · 0 votes
    2y

    Thanks Troy this helped me decide. The property hasn’t pulled in a lot to cover the cost but for safety I can manage fixing some within budget. 

  • David NilesBusiness Member
    Property Manager · DeLand FL · Member since 2012 · 860 posts · 243 votes
    2y

    Wooden or vinyl windows? Very common for old wooden windows to have many years of paint on them sealing them shut. A razor knife around it cutting the paint and some elbow grease usually get it moving, then address springs or weights on them plus some soap on side helps it slide. 

  • Member since 2024 · 11 posts · 0 votes
    2y

    Hi David they’re wood windows. The house was built in 1958. I’ll see if I can get a contractor to try that to see if some will lift. Good thing is new windows increase value if I just have to buy new ones. 

  • Investor · Raleigh, NC · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 708 votes
    2y
    Quote from @David Niles:

    Wooden or vinyl windows? Very common for old wooden windows to have many years of paint on them sealing them shut. A razor knife around it cutting the paint and some elbow grease usually get it moving, then address springs or weights on them plus some soap on side helps it slide. 


     I agree, stuck windows are not a reason for full bore replacement.  Of course, if they are ancient single pane windows, it may make sense to replace them, but by itself a stuck window can usually be fixed quite readily.

  • Kenneth GarrettPro Member
    Investor · Florida Panhandle/Illinois · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Shaunta M.:

    Hi everyone i purchased a property and found out from the tenant that all of the windows are sealed shut. I’m not sure if this was done on purpose or because they had been repainted and dried shut over the years. The tenant says she had someone to break in the front window recently but for reasons unspoken I feel like that may have been someone she knew that couldn’t get in she has a family member staying with her. However, should I replace all of the windows in the house? I’m concerned that it’s a fire or safety issue? 

    All windows are required to operate per the building code.  Bedrooom windows are considered emergency windows.  I would repair the windows so they operate.  You could replace them on a replacement schedule.  You don’t necessarily have to replace them all at once.  Old windows will be a maintenance problem.  If there sealed shut it makes me think your location of the property is in a rough area.  I only invest in C+ or better areas.
  • Real Estate Broker · San Diego, CA · Member since 2016 · 187 posts · 117 votes
    2y

    First, do what you can to salvage/repair the existing windows before you consider buying new ones. Windows are expensive!

  • Preston DeanBusiness Member
    Realtor · Fort Worth, TX · Member since 2021 · 779 posts · 368 votes
    2y

    @Shaunta M.

    Not sure I can agree with replacing the windows. This happened to our first investment property. The paint sealed the windows shut & the only way to open them was to get a razor blade and scrape the edges of the windows. It eventually worked and the windows opened and closed fine. But yes, the tenant needs to replace the window 

    United Real Estate DFW Properties 565 Reviews
  • Investor · WNY/CNY/Adirondacks, New York State · Member since 2024 · 151 posts · 133 votes
    2y

    Windows are really expensive.  If you can't repair them, you should start replacing them.  Don't think you have to do the whole house at once.  You can replace one or two windows at a time.

    I wouldn't assume the tenant broke the window.  However, if you are worried that tenants are getting locked out and need to break in, there are some great keyless entry locks.  Tenants love them!  You just have to remember to put the battery changes on your annual maintenance schedule.

  • Member since 2024 · 11 posts · 0 votes
    2y

    Thank you Kristine.

  • Member since 2024 · 11 posts · 0 votes
    2y
  • Member since 2024 · 11 posts · 0 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Kenneth Garrett:
    Quote from @Shaunta M.:

    Hi everyone i purchased a property and found out from the tenant that all of the windows are sealed shut. I’m not sure if this was done on purpose or because they had been repainted and dried shut over the years. The tenant says she had someone to break in the front window recently but for reasons unspoken I feel like that may have been someone she knew that couldn’t get in she has a family member staying with her. However, should I replace all of the windows in the house? I’m concerned that it’s a fire or safety issue? 

    Thanks for you help Kenneth!

    All windows are required to operate per the building code.  Bedrooom windows are considered emergency windows.  I would repair the windows so they operate.  You could replace them on a replacement schedule.  You don’t necessarily have to replace them all at once.  Old windows will be a maintenance problem.  If there sealed shut it makes me think your location of the property is in a rough area.  I only invest in C+ or better areas.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.