Using Vacancy rate as monthly KPI

Using Vacancy rate as monthly KPI

Justin R.Pro Member
Rental Property Investor · San Anselmo · Member since 2015 · 659 posts · 600 votes

I have several properties throughout a handful of states, all professionally managed. I usually glance as the vacancies but don't actually create KPIs for this metric.  Of course all 5 managers use different software and portals, each with their own style of reports. 

Im looking for ideas from other investors that are requesting Vacancy rates from their property manager. I just don't see me sifting through leases and figuring out move in/out dates as a good use of my time.

Perhaps I will just send an email to each PM requesting the current vacancy rate,  and their associated units along with the rest of my monthly reports.

Thanks to anyone that wants to share their experience in this tracking.

Cheers.

0Reply
31 views

3 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Bradley BuxtonBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · NV · Member since 2023 · 1k+ posts · 713 votes
    2y

    @Justin R.

    It's an important metric because it can kill your cash flow especially if you only have a single investment. Property managers need to be able to tell you the overall vacancy rate for all their properties and the rate for your specific properties. In my area there are some that seem like they keep track of rentals on napkins. If your PM companies are using software it should be an easy number to pull. 

  • Justin R.Pro Member
    OP
    Rental Property Investor · San Anselmo · Member since 2015 · 659 posts · 600 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Bradley Buxton:

    @Justin R.

    It's an important metric because it can kill your cash flow especially if you only have a single investment. Property managers need to be able to tell you the overall vacancy rate for all their properties and the rate for your specific properties. In my area there are some that seem like they keep track of rentals on napkins. If your PM companies are using software it should be an easy number to pull. 


     Yes thanks for your input. I understand the importance that why I am going to start having my PMs give me this monthly. My question is regarding how investors are obtaining their vacancy rate from their PMs. None of my PMs send a monthly vacancy rate, but some have the leases I a review in their portal. I am playing with the idea of asking them to create a monthly vacancy rate for my properties as part of THEIR job. 

    Cheers

  • Michael SmytheBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Metro Detroit · Member since 2023 · 4k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    2y

    @Justin R. we have live reports for our owner clients on their portal that cover this.

    Logical Property Management4.9454 Reviews
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.