I am looking for a bank that holds tenants security deposits and automatically pays the interest directly to the tenant annually, see the rest for description.
Hello, I am a first time property owner and am trying to figure out where it is best to deposit security deposits, I am aware that it must be deposited in an interest bearing account per MASS law but also the tenant needs to receive the interest annually and I do not want to have to manually perform this task. A high yield or higher than average interest rate would be ideal but that is my main concern.
Rental Property Investor · Member since 2023 · 1k+ posts · 922 votes
2y
You must deposit to a trust account at a Mass bank. You will need to have your banker set up a business checking account under your name, next line should say MASS. SECURITY DEPOSIT TRUST ACCOUNT In the bank's system the banker needs to set you as Trustee.
Within 30 days of depositing the security deposit, the landlord must give the tenant in writing:
The name and location of the bank where the deposit is
I am looking for a bank that holds tenants security deposits and automatically pays the interest directly to the tenant annually, see the rest for description.
Hello, I am a first time property owner and am trying to figure out where it is best to deposit security deposits, I am aware that it must be deposited in an interest bearing account per MASS law but also the tenant needs to receive the interest annually and I do not want to have to manually perform this task. A high yield or higher than average interest rate would be ideal but that is my main concern.
Thanks
you will not find a bank that does that. YOU will need to send the money to the individual and do this manually. No way around it.
I am looking for a bank that holds tenants security deposits and automatically pays the interest directly to the tenant annually, see the rest for description.
Hello, I am a first time property owner and am trying to figure out where it is best to deposit security deposits, I am aware that it must be deposited in an interest bearing account per MASS law but also the tenant needs to receive the interest annually and I do not want to have to manually perform this task. A high yield or higher than average interest rate would be ideal but that is my main concern.
Thanks
you will not find a bank that does that. YOU will need to send the money to the individual and do this manually. No way around it.
My mom was a property manager for 20 years and she said Sovereign bank used to do it but they are no longer around.
You must deposit to a trust account at a Mass bank. You will need to have your banker set up a business checking account under your name, next line should say MASS. SECURITY DEPOSIT TRUST ACCOUNT In the bank's system the banker needs to set you as Trustee.
Within 30 days of depositing the security deposit, the landlord must give the tenant in writing:
The name and location of the bank where the deposit is
The amount of the deposit
The account number
Thanks for sharing your knowledge, what I'm really looking for is what specific banks do this and if any of them automatically pay the interest annually, I was already familiar with the laws, thanks!