Do I need to give a 10 notice to quit?

Do I need to give a 10 notice to quit?

Dennis PulscherPro Member
Member since 2024 · 3 posts · 1 vote

I have a rental house on a month to month lease. I gave them a 90 day notice that I was going to sell the house and they would need to vacate after 90 days. They immediately stopped paying rent and stopped communicating. The 90 days will be over on the 22nd of Oct. Do I need to give them a 10 day notice to quit? Any advice and guidance is appreciated..

1Reply
28 views

3 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Realtor · Hanover Twp, PA · Member since 2018 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    2y

    @Dennis Pulscher, why have you waited this long?

    I would have already taken action when they stopped paying and simply done an eviction for nonpayment of rent which should be cookie-cutter to do.

  • Dennis PulscherPro Member
    OP
    Member since 2024 · 3 posts · 1 vote
    2y

    Well it's my 1st experience with this. They were talking about buying the property so in this real estate climate I figured it would be a good win. They then became hard to communicate with. No response to messages. In hindsight you are probably right. To non renew a lease in Colorado you have to give them 30 days to move out.

  • Greg WeikBusiness Member
    Property Manager · Denver, CO · Member since 2020 · 263 posts · 327 votes
    1y

    Hi @Dennis Pulscher, I agree with @Kevin Sobilo - your best bet here is to deliver a 10 Day Demand Notice for non-payment.  Double check with an attorney to make sure you've completed it correctly.

    You will need to attempt to deliver it, by hand, to one of the tenants.  If you cannot, you must make another attempt on another day, and if that attempt is unsuccessful, you may then post the notice in a conspicuous place. 

    Either way - whether the tenants fail to vacate based on the notice you provided or whether they fail to pay, it sounds like you are headed towards eviction.  

    Non-payment of rent evictions are usually easier.  Best of luck to you. 

    Real Estate Solutions4.4387 Reviews
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.