Violation of HOA rules: Pass fine to tenant?

Violation of HOA rules: Pass fine to tenant?

Member since 2024 · 5 posts · 4 votes

Rookie question, hope someone can help. I received a letter from the HOA about a violation of the rules - there is an oil spill in the property driveway. I got a $75 fine and need to clean up within 2 weeks.

Is it legal for me to pass on the fine to my tenant? I assumed it is but want to be sure. The lease agreement has a clause that acknowledges that the property is part of an HOA and that tenant indemnifies the landlord from non-performance ("hold harmless" clause). How would I do that - send them a formal invoice or request, or can it be less formal like a simple email?

Thank you!

0Reply
49 views

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Severna Park, MD · Member since 2013 · 7k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    1y

    Pass it on to the tenant , by letter and email . ( This is why I wont buy in a HOA )

  • Chris SeveneyBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Investor · VA · Member since 2015 · 21k+ posts · 19k+ votes
    1y
    Quote from @Calvin Rappard:

    Rookie question, hope someone can help. I received a letter from the HOA about a violation of the rules - there is an oil spill in the property driveway. I got a $75 fine and need to clean up within 2 weeks.

    Is it legal for me to pass on the fine to my tenant? I assumed it is but want to be sure. The lease agreement has a clause that acknowledges that the property is part of an HOA and that tenant indemnifies the landlord from non-performance ("hold harmless" clause). How would I do that - send them a formal invoice or request, or can it be less formal like a simple email?

    Thank you!


    Along with the lease saying its in a HOA, did you provide them with the HOA rules and regulations. That is two different things. If you did not, they could argue they were not aware they could be fined for this (hard argument but one an attorney could still argue).

    I would call them first, let them know you are sending it and then send it via email and regular mail. 

    7e investments53 Reviews
  • Real Estate Agent · Chicago, IL · Member since 2018 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    1y

    @Calvin Rappard

    Depends, did your tenant cause the oil spill or did it come from someone else? What does your lease say regarding maintaining common areas or the property in general?

    If you provided the tenant the HOA rules & regulations prior to moving in, then I think they should be responsible for paying the fine.

  • Attorney · Pensacola, FL · Member since 2023 · 178 posts · 106 votes
    1y

    Your state laws may have a provision on point but maybe not. Then it's up to your lease agreement. Notifying the tenant about an HOA may not be enough. The lease should state that the tenant is obligated to comply with HOA rules. That said, if the tenant caused damages, the tenant can be held liable for the repair costs. The $75 fee may small in comparison to repair costs. Best wishes.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.