French Drain Install - Labor and Materials - am I getting ripped off

French Drain Install - Labor and Materials - am I getting ripped off

Member since 2022 · 12 posts · 3 votes

I need to install an L-shape French drain that I would say needs to be around 3 feet or so deep. The total linear feet would be around 120’. I was quoted by a 2-man team around $350 for labor as it would take them around a day to finish if they pick up materials (I am paying for materials).

Is this a reasonable cost for this type of job?

0Reply
48 views

Most Popular Reply

Nathan GesnerBusiness Member
Moderator
Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes
1y

If they can do the job for that price, you should hire them immediately!

A french drain typically costs around $25-$30 per linear foot. Your job should cost a minimum of $3,000.

The DIY Landlord Book4.7248 Reviews
See this reply in the discussion

9 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Theresa HarrisPro Member
    Member since 2019 · 15k+ posts · 11k+ votes
    1y

    I don't know, but 2 people digging (well using equipment to dig) a 3 foot deep 120 foot trench for $350 and installing the drain doesn't seem that bad.  Make sure you get the utilities mapped before they start to dig.

  • Coupeville, WA · Member since 2016 · 93 posts · 73 votes
    1y

    You are talking about 22$ an hour per individual for an 8 hour day plus whatever equipment costs they need to cover. In addition to that they are having to pick up and deliver the materials. 

    Another way to look at it is that it would cost less than 3$ a foot ( for 120' ) Why only 3' feet deep? How long a stretch does it run to provide proper slope to drain the water effectively? Have they ever done this kind of work before?

    I am not qualified to say how it should be done. I just know that when we had french drains installed around the house foundation and redid all the drainage systems in the yard they were 4' deep and they made sure that the slope was sufficient for the task. We had two others installed later to divert water from coming downslope into our yard to protect a drain in front of the garage. The soil here was clay so the digging even with excavators where they could use one was challenging. 

    I most definitely 2nd getting the utilities mapped first before digging.  

  • Member since 2022 · 12 posts · 3 votes
    1y
    Quote from @Chris Wilson:

    You are talking about 22$ an hour per individual for an 8 hour day plus whatever equipment costs they need to cover. In addition to that they are having to pick up and deliver the materials. 

    Another way to look at it is that it would cost less than 3$ a foot ( for 120' ) Why only 3' feet deep? How long a stretch does it run to provide proper slope to drain the water effectively? Have they ever done this kind of work before?

    I am not qualified to say how it should be done. I just know that when we had french drains installed around the house foundation and redid all the drainage systems in the yard they were 4' deep and they made sure that the slope was sufficient for the task. We had two others installed later to divert water from coming downslope into our yard to protect a drain in front of the garage. The soil here was clay so the digging even with excavators where they could use one was challenging. 

    I most definitely 2nd getting the utilities mapped first before digging.  


    I am using rough numbers on the depth but around an average of 3 feet. No equipment was needed. I average 2 guys at around $25 an hour. Seemed reasonable - but was not sure if $250 would have been more realistic.

  • Theresa HarrisPro Member
    Member since 2019 · 15k+ posts · 11k+ votes
    1y

    I find it hard to believe two guys with shovels can dig that long of a trench in a day and install the drains without equipment.  I'm in a different area, but I just paid a plumber ~$200 an hour to do some work....clearly I am in the wrong profession, but I know equipment and skills are needed.  If you think it is high, call and get a second quote.

  • Nathan GesnerBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes
    1y

    If they can do the job for that price, you should hire them immediately!

    A french drain typically costs around $25-$30 per linear foot. Your job should cost a minimum of $3,000.

    The DIY Landlord Book4.7248 Reviews
  • Handyman · Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2018 · 5k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    1y
    Quote from @James Landsford:

    I need to install an L-shape French drain that I would say needs to be around 3 feet or so deep. The total linear feet would be around 120’. I was quoted by a 2-man team around $350 for labor as it would take them around a day to finish if they pick up materials (I am paying for materials).

    Is this a reasonable cost for this type of job?

    This is a FANTASTIC price for a 120-foot 3-foot ditch in Pittsburgh. Almost certainly too good, even for pickup labor in the slow season. And the fact that these people are willing to fetch your materials from wherever makes the whole thing even more questionable. Is this going to be an exterior French drain? Because anyone quoting you this price for anything inside a basement with the need to haul the dirt elsewhere is clearly getting ready to rob you. But to dig the ditch, lay the canister assembly in gravel, and fill in the ditch for an exterior French drain? I'd take that price any day and I would assume they're using a small excavator.

  • Severna Park, MD · Member since 2013 · 7k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    1y

    Way too cheap , 

  • JD MartinBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Rock Star Extraordinaire · Northeast, TN · Member since 2015 · 10k+ posts · 16k+ votes
    1y

    The only question is are you getting ripped off because they're not going to do the job, because that's comically cheap for any kind of work like that. Would you dig 120 feet of trench 3 feet deep, and get the material, for $350? Assuming the ditch is a foot wide that's almost 14 yards of dirt, which is a full size dump truck worth of material. 

    My guess is these guys have no idea what they are doing, will dig about 30 feet and then drop off the face of the earth when they figure out they vastly underpriced the job, and especially will do so when you tell them you were thinking $250 was closer to the value 🤣

    Skyline Properties
    View Page
  • Russell BrazilBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Agent · Washington, D.C. · Member since 2012 · 17k+ posts · 30k+ votes
    1y

    This is an insanely low price. I dont see how its possible to do it that cheap. There is no way these are licensed and insured contractors. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.