Installing shower bars in the tub - landlord obligation

Installing shower bars in the tub - landlord obligation

Member since 2023 · 6 posts · 1 vote

In Los Angeles city, we have a tiled tub enclosure. Tenant is requesting installation of shower bars. I am ok to accomodate this request, as long as tenant pays for it, and ensures the work is done to thier satisfaction. Do I have a legal obligation to purchase the hardware and get it installed at my own expense? Or me willing to accomodate the request is sufficient?

0Reply
26 views

2 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · The Vampire State · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    1y

    If they are asking for a "reasonable accomodation" under the ADA, then I believe they are required to pay for the change, and - if necessary - pay for its removal after they vacate.  There is something in the law that says reasonable accomodations cannot place a finanacial burden on the property owner or something similar - search it up to see the exact wording.

    So, unless your municipality has a statute that places more responsibility on you (based on where you are, that would not surprise me one bit), I think it's on them.  Again, do your research before answering them because if you misstate your obligation they will probably legally rub your nose in it.

  • Nathan GesnerBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes
    1y
    Quote from @AJ Mulani:

    The law requires you to make a "reasonable accommodation" for someone with a disability. I think their request is reasonable, and it's also reasonable for you to require them to cover the installation costs. I would also require a licensed contractor. You don't want to do it wrong and be responsible for a fall.

    When they leave, they have to leave the bars installed or have them removed and repaired professionally.


    The DIY Landlord Book4.7248 Reviews
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.