Rental Property Investor · Skaneateles, NY · Member since 2013 · 23 posts · 2 votes
I plan to renovate one of the kitchens in the duplex i own but i have to do it while my tenants are still living there...and in one weekend. Has anyone had experience with this situation? I'd like to do the cabinets, counter top and back splash by myself to save money. I have to relocate the gas range and refrigerator so I think i should probably hire a plumber and/or electrician for that part. Would i call the utility company to re-route the gas line?
Investor · Arlington, MA · Member since 2014 · 83 posts · 29 votes
12y
My question is why are you even doing this renovation in the first place? You already have tenants that are willing to pay you rent every month without the renovation. Are you going to raise rent when the renovation is done? If not, why are putting good money into a unit when the return won't be realized until they move out? Doesn't seem like a good return on investment to me.
Just my two cents,
-Clinton
Fairbanks, AK · Member since 2014 · 3 posts · 0 votes
12y
I will be installing a new boiler in my duplex this summer. I have coordinated with my tenants to find out if they had any vacations planned. Turns out, they will be gone on several occasions. You probably have already discussed this but if not it is definitely worth your while.
Investor · Tallahassee, FL · Member since 2014 · 246 posts · 89 votes
12y
@Account Closed I wish you all the luck my friend. Some very sound advice on here. I have been remodeling since 2007 and can tell you that your determination will be necessary for what you are trying to accomplish. It is favorable that you have the other side of the duplex available. Please post pics! :)
Rental Property Investor · Skaneateles, NY · Member since 2013 · 23 posts · 2 votes
12y
I think ill cash in on some favors and have a couple buddies help me. When i said i want to do it by myself i really just meant without hiring anyone i can't pay in beer and pizza. Definitely great advice on here. I like the curtain idea so my tenants cant bother me and i'm thinking of a way to avoid getting a plumber and electrician...maybe just shutting off gas completely and going with electric oven range. That way i can hire one guy and have him update my panel board while he's there. I know I have a lot to learn but the best way to gain experience is just to do it and learn from your mistakes. I'm still deciding what to do with the floor. I think my plan Is to demo the kitchen completely Friday night & get it clean. Then Saturday morning do drywall touch up and paint. While i'm doing that the electrician can do his thing assuming there aren't major issues. Then when hes done ill tile my floor. Sunday ill have appliances delivered, layout where my cabinets will go on the wall then start putting them in. Once they're in ill layout and cut the counter top and put in sink and faucet. Then ill do the back splash and install appliances. Am I on track with the order of things?