real estate agent for rental

real estate agent for rental

Member since 2024 · 13 posts · 4 votes

I hired an agent to rent out my condo. I had hoped to meet potential tenants during showings to get a sense of who they are, but the agent suggested I step out during those times. I feel a bit uneasy not being able to get a personal impression before making a decision. Is it standard practice for agents to handle showings this way?

1Reply
70 views

Most Popular Reply

Denise SuppleeBusiness Member
Realtor · Willow Grove, PA · Member since 2017 · 979 posts · 642 votes
1y

Hi @Mary Witt nice to meet you and yes, it’s actually pretty common for agents to ask owners to step out during showings—it helps potential tenants feel more relaxed and open. That said, it’s your place, and it’s completely fair to want a say in who lives there. You could ask your agent if you can meet serious applicants afterward or join discreetly for a few showings. It’s all about finding a balance that feels right for you.

Spark Rental Co-Investing Club577 Reviews
See this reply in the discussion

14 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Ryan KellyBusiness Member
    Real Estate Broker · Austin, TX · Member since 2018 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    1y

    Yes, this is a most common practice. Buyers and tenants want to be able to tour a property privately and speak freely while in a unit. They want to be able to imagine themselves living there. If an owner is present, they feel like they are being spied on and it also creates a sense they are in barging in on someone else's property, not their future home. You want the  tenants to first approve of the property and apply. Then, you can always find a time to arrange a second visit with them in person once you already know they are interested to live there.  

    Ryan Kelly Group - Keller Williams5110 Reviews
  • Denise SuppleeBusiness Member
    Realtor · Willow Grove, PA · Member since 2017 · 979 posts · 642 votes
    1y

    Hi @Mary Witt nice to meet you and yes, it’s actually pretty common for agents to ask owners to step out during showings—it helps potential tenants feel more relaxed and open. That said, it’s your place, and it’s completely fair to want a say in who lives there. You could ask your agent if you can meet serious applicants afterward or join discreetly for a few showings. It’s all about finding a balance that feels right for you.

    Spark Rental Co-Investing Club577 Reviews
  • Member since 2025 · 45 posts · 47 votes
    1y

    An agent is your representative.  Just like if you had hired an attorney, they shield you from dealing with the other party directly.  You still are the decision maker.  Once tenants are engaged in the property and you plan to move forward on paper, meet them at the property (with the agent).  Yes it only 10 minutes, but I do one other thing.  I arrive after the agent and clients and peek in their car as I walk by it.  The car will tell you exactly how the house will be (messy car, messy home). Your agent should do most of the vetting and provide all the contracts. They serve a good purpose. Just let the process work.

  • David PeschioBusiness Member
    Richmond, VA · Member since 2019 · 358 posts · 181 votes
    1y

    I agree with everything here.  Agent is sheilding you from fair housing issues as well.

  • Real Estate Agent · Chicago, IL · Member since 2018 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    1y

    @Mary Witt

    If you want to meet the potential tenants, maybe you shouldn't hire an agent. The point of hiring an agent is to have a professional handle that for you.

    I self-manage and understand the importance of meeting people in person to get a feel for them. There are obviously qualitative factors that go into assessing a potential tenant like overall demeanor, punctuality, communication style, personality, and what they say at the showing. If that's all important to you, maybe you should self-manage.

    I agree with the other replies here and think @Denise Supplee suggestion is the best balance. Only meet with the serious, qualified applicants

  • Real Estate Agent · Washington, DC · Member since 2025 · 157 posts · 77 votes
    1y

    Just like everyone said it's very common practice for the owner/tenant to vacate for showings. Your agent is doing their best to prevent any fair housing violations.  If you live there and happen to be home during the showing you could always say hello and then step out.  

  • Real Estate Broker · San Diego, CA · Member since 2016 · 187 posts · 117 votes
    1y

    Hi Mary,

    I'm a broker in San Diego and also an investor in SFH with a portfolio of rentals in Lansing, MI.

    Don't ever for get that this house is yours and you have every right to meet the tenants. 

    Let them walk through the house alone.  When there done you introduce yourself and get a feel for that applicant.  If you don't feel good about the applicant you can tell your pm I don't want to lease to them 

    Remember even though you have a pm, you're still the boss lady!

  • Dan H.Pro Member
    Investor · Poway, CA · Member since 2015 · 7k+ posts · 8k+ votes
    1y

    If you reject a qualified tenant because of some feeling or interaction that could be hard to defend especially if they are a protected class.   

    Seeing you are the owner and the PM works for you, they should do what you want.  However, you are paying the PM in large part for their expertise.   It can be frustrating for the expert to be told to do things that he believes (and in this case I agree with him) are not n your best interest.

    Here are some scenarios:

    - a prospective tenant likes the place in spite of your presence and you like the tenant.  Most likely your presence did not hello or hurt.

    -- a prospective tenant likes the place in spite of your presence and you do not like the tenant for some reason other than their financials/credit score, LL reference, steady job, no evictions, and salary 3x rent.  Then what?  Do you not rent to a qualified tenant?  How do you justify this?  If they are a protected class, you may have put yourself into a tough to defend position if you do not rent to them

    - perspective tenant feels uncomfortable and is (possibly rightfully) with an over bearing LL and choses not to apply in spite of liking the unit.

    What is the upside?  I believe your PM should do what you ask, but in this case I believe you should listen to your PM and rely on his expertise.

    Good luck


  • Realtor · Member since 2025 · 26 posts · 7 votes
    1y

    As an owner I would never, ever want to meet a tenant. Too much liability. Fair housing is no joke. Best case scenario, you get the warm and fuzzies and it works out exactly the same as if the agent told you they were good to go. The key here is find an agent you trust.  Worst case scenario you don't get the warm and fuzzies and do not rent to someone who then sues you and makes your life hell and a lot more expensive. OR you do like a tenant, and they just conned you. You let the low credit score or new job status at a place you couldn't verify slide which leads to eviction and more $$ out of your pocket.

    Even if you are managing yourself, leave the initial leasing to a professional to protect yourself!! 

    Just my two cents. Good luck!

  • Real Estate Broker · San Diego, CA · Member since 2016 · 187 posts · 117 votes
    1y

    Your other option if you want to self manage. Form a c-corp or LLC and make that entity the owner and you are the property manager.

    This is my strategy, my tenants think Balboa Management (which is my C-Corp) is the owner and I work for them.  To my tenants Balboa seems like a big company. 

    When my tenants ask me for something like can I waive the late fees or complain because I'm raising the rent. I always tell them Balboa is raising the rent this year or let me check with Balboa and I will get back to you. I blame Balboa for everything, it's great!

    • OH · Member since 2022 · 75 posts · 23 votes
      1y
      Quote from @Tony Savage:

      Your other option if you want to self manage. Form a c-corp or LLC and make that entity the owner and you are the property manager.

      This is my strategy, my tenants think Balboa Management (which is my C-Corp) is the owner and I work for them.  To my tenants Balboa seems like a big company. 

      When my tenants ask me for something like can I waive the late fees or complain because I'm raising the rent. I always tell them Balboa is raising the rent this year or let me check with Balboa and I will get back to you. I blame Balboa for everything, it's great!

      Lol, this is the strategy.
    • Member since 2025 · 45 posts · 47 votes
      11mo
      Quote from @Tony Savage:

      Your other option if you want to self manage. Form a c-corp or LLC and make that entity the owner and you are the property manager.

      This is my strategy, my tenants think Balboa Management (which is my C-Corp) is the owner and I work for them.  To my tenants Balboa seems like a big company. 

      When my tenants ask me for something like can I waive the late fees or complain because I'm raising the rent. I always tell them Balboa is raising the rent this year or let me check with Balboa and I will get back to you. I blame Balboa for everything, it's great!


  • Real Estate Agent · Washington, DC · Member since 2025 · 157 posts · 77 votes
    1y

    @Tony Savage "I blame Balboa for everything, it's great!"  That's hilarious! 

  • Member since 2025 · 45 posts · 47 votes
    11mo

    Love it.  IAt my open rental events I tell everyone I am the agent for the owner, even when it is one of my homes.  Eliminates a lot of poor me stories.  I also have other family members review and evaluate the applications as independent (they do not meet the applicants) reviewers.  I can show that meeting the persons was not part of a decision.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.