Help/Advice for New Landlord - Potential Eviction Situation
Hello all!
For context I am in Greensboro, NC. Small time landlord, just have one LTR right now.
I have 2 tenants with kids in my LTR (3br 2ba). A while back, the main breadwinner lost his job as an HVAC tech and decided to start his own HVAC business. It was going well until his partner simultaneously screwed him over and ran off with 5 figures in equipment, and my tenant also severed a nerve in his left arm so he can't do the work anymore. He didn't keep very good books so apparently he doesn't qualify for disability.
The good thing is that he has been very forthcoming and communicative throughout this entire process and has not tried to dodge me at all, in fact he always reaches out first and is very transparent.
Main Q: He asked if we could re-do the lease and bring in another person to help pay the rent. Im uncertain around the legalities here of breaking a lease and re-doing it. If I was going to re-do the lease, I would probably do it month-to-month. The other choice would be an eviction which he is well aware of.
Personally - As a small time landlord with a very modest income (65-70k/year from all sources) the expenses in this situation scare me a bit. I just have about 15k of cash reserves but it does take a long time and a lot of frugality (which im used to) to build that on my income.
For those more experienced - What would you do in this situation? Try to re-do the lease with an additional tenant to help them pay the rent and make it month-to-month? Or go forward with the eviction?
Thanks a bunch. This situation is stressing me out a good bit.