Got a awesome job offer Need advice Rent or Sell ;)

Got a awesome job offer Need advice Rent or Sell ;)

Slidell, LA · Member since 2014 · 2 posts · 0 votes

Dream job just accepted weeeeeeee the bad is the broker market analysis just came in on my home at about 39k less than my mortgage. Oh the woes of the housing market lol. It might even appraise for less who knows.

I'm okay with it because I'm so happy I got my dream job. So, after talking to 4 property management companies locally that know my subdivision well they all said "$1400-1600/mo".

It looks like after property management fees, increased ins cost, and assuming a 90% occupancy rate I will be losing about $220/mo. The house is pretty new (8 years) and everything works well. The property management company is strict dti of 27%, no lates on the credit report in the last year, and verified income/background check.

I feel okay since my raise is more than that it's about double that after tax, so essentially they (tenants) are paying my mortgage and that's after fees and assuming 90% occupancy.

It might be easier if I had tons of money saved, but I only have about 12k in savings and would hate to eat all of that plus more in a sale.

Seems okay to me what do you guys think?

0Reply
11 views

2 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Brandon TurnerPro Member
    Investor · Maui, HI · Member since 2009 · 13k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    12y

    Hey @Bob Bailey yeah it sucks to have to pay in every month on your property, but it's not the end of the world if you can cover it. Hopefully appreciation will bail you out eventually, and the losses on your tax return will lighten the burden some. You could always do a short sale, but I think you are on the right track.

    My only thought: what if you managed yourself, and then you won't be negative?

  • Rental Property Investor · Brookline, MA · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 777 votes
    12y

    @Bob Bailey

    I'd lay out the numbers exactly so you know what your strategy is for getting back to even.

    $1400-$1600 is quite a range. I'm not sure which number you used to calculate your $220/month loss. I hope it is the $1400 :)

    I'd look at his like any other investment. To @Brandon Turner 's point, you might get away without a PM company because it's a single family home.

    What are your expenses actually going to be for the following items:

    Taxes

    Sewer and Water

    Trash

    Heat/Utilities

    HOA

    Cap Ex and Ops

    Insurance

    Mgmt Fee - as a % (general consensus here on BP is 10%)

    Vacancy- as a %. (8% represents 1 vacant month/unit/year)

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.