Tenant hardships, asking for rent reduction. Thoughts???
Hi just want to get people's thoughts on this matter. I am currently house hacking a duplex, as well as mid term renting my side when not in use. I bought the house with the understanding that it is a business and have been treating it as such. My first tenants have been renting from me since I bought the house 3 years ago. They are A+ tenants, always pay on time, quiet, respectful, take care of the place, even shovel the snow in the winter here and there. I was just informed of a soon to be situation that will make it hard for one of them to make payments on her own and she asked for a rent reduction if possible. She was telling me that her ex husband that recently passed left her an apartment with lower rent and utilities included. She would like to stay here renting from me, however she doesn't know if she could pay full rent on her own once one of her kids leave in the summer. She's asking for a $300 reduction. I know it is a business, but I am debating just because I travel a lot for work, they look after the house and they are great tenants I don't want to lose. Anyone lower rent before for good tenants? Would love any and all advice or thoughts on the matter?
Thank YOU!