Ever had to throw a fridge off a balcony? Here's how it went…

Ever had to throw a fridge off a balcony? Here's how it went…

Real Estate Investor · Harrisburg, PA · Member since 2017 · 6 posts · 11 votes

I’ve been in property management for 20 years. I’ve seen weird, I’ve seen chaotic, and I’ve seen things that would make OSHA spontaneously combust.

But the refrigerator incident lives rent-free in my brain.

Tenant is moving in a 2nd floor unit. Everything seems normal… until we realize the fridge is completely dead and needs to be replaced. No big deal, right? Wrong.

Stairwell is too tight. Doorways are too narrow. We try every angle short of folding the fridge like a taco. Doesn’t matter — it’s not coming through.

My brother says: "We don't have the tools to take the doors off"

I Say, completely serious: "Well....can it go over the balcony"

Cue the silence.

We look at each other. We look at the balcony. We look at the fridge.

A plan is formed that would absolutely never pass a workplace safety audit. Two straps, two brothers, questionable upper body strength, and one prayer to Saint Landlord of Impossible Appliances.

We get it to the railing. The fridge tips forward.
Time slows down like a movie.
WHAM.

It lands in the backyard with enough force to make a crater and my soul leave my body. No casualties, no police report, no Yelp review. Just a very dead fridge.

To this day, every time someone says “property management is easy,” I think about that fridge falling like it was late for a rent payment.

Your turn — what’s the craziest thing you’ve had to do in property management or landlording?

6Reply
192 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · New Braunfels, TX · Member since 2021 · 289 posts · 256 votes
8mo
Quote from @Jade Miali Everett:

Okay, story time! My scenario is no where near as funny as yours, but I've spent some time going over it and I've tried to at least make it interesting. Enjoy!

I’ve been in property management long enough to develop a very specific sixth sense.
Not danger. Well, sometimes.
Not lease violations. Okay well yes, I do sense that generally too.
Not even drama. Okay who am I kidding... the sixth sense is...

Smell!

One fine late July day, I pulled up for a routine post move-out unit inspection and the air itself felt… thick… and I already knew that I was about to earn my paycheck in a way no spreadsheet could ever justify.

Door opens.

Immediate sensory assault.
Imagine if a fast-food dumpster and a gym sock had a baby and raised it inside a humidifier. I vividly remember walking into the unit, looking to the left through an open bedroom door and my co-worker gasping "Jesus! NoOoOoOo!"

Trash everywhere. Not just “messy tenant” trash. This was archaeological. Layers. Eras. You could carbon-date the pizza boxes. The entire pile of refuse in this college student's bedroom stood knee high and pervaded every inch of space on what used to be the floor.

I’m mentally preparing for the usual: photos, documentation, a very professional follow-up email that will absolutely not convey the emotional damage that I'm currently enduring just sizing up the mess.

Then I heard scraping.

I turn the corner to the kitchen and see one of the tenants doing what can only be described as a heroic but wildly misguided cleanup attempt.

They had pulled the actual dumpster from the curb into the unit.
Like… fully committed. Wheels and all.
There’s a shovel involved. A real shovel. Snow-shovel-meets-crime-scene energy.

They’re scooping trash off the floor and tossing it into the dumpster one sad shovel at a time, like they’re trying to bail out the Titanic with a teaspoon.

We make eye contact.

There’s a long, silent moment where we both silently acknowledge what doesn't need to be spoken.
This is not going to end well for anyone.

After about ten minutes of discussion it becomes apparent that "Roger" is the only tenant who cared living there and is feebly trying to undo months of horrid neglect.
Every trash can on the property is full.
The unit still looks like a landfill reboot.

I gave Roger my okay to quietly abandon the mission.

And leave.

Just… leave the entire mess for us like a cursed offering.

So I did what I always do in these situations... suited up emotionally, spiritually, and with industrial-grade gloves — and start hauling.

One bag.
Five bags.
Ten bags.
I stop counting because my arms are shaking after moving the couch and of course it gets stuck in the door at an awkward angle and I’m questioning every life choice that led me here.

Final tally:

42 contractor-sized bags of trash.

Forty. Two.
That’s not cleanup. That’s a hazmat evacuation.

By the end, I smelled like regret, sweat and unresolved trauma.

That's why anytime a client calls me and warns me that their project is dealing with a situation that "is not for the faint of heart", I assure them... we've got this. Surely it cannot be THAT bad.

We bought this house on Mar 3 2020 at a tax sale. Covid shuts down the world a week later. There were people living in here and my lawyer says I can’t charge them rent and we can’t kick them out. Six months later, we took literally “tons” of trash out of this place before we could start gutting it to the studs. $90,000 profit though😬 
See this reply in the discussion

12 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Kerry BairdPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Melbourne, FL · Member since 2011 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    8mo

    Oh my goodness!  Hilarious! I see "writing a book" in your future endeavors.  :D 

    • Real Estate Investor · Harrisburg, PA · Member since 2017 · 6 posts · 11 votes
      8mo
      Quote from @Kerry Baird:

      Oh my goodness!  Hilarious! I see "writing a book" in your future endeavors.  :D 


       Thank you. I always said I was going to write a book. : ) 

  • Bruce WoodruffPro Member
    Contractor/Investor/Consultant · San Diego / Phoenix · Member since 2021 · 12k+ posts · 15k+ votes
    8mo

    Lol, great story!! Not a Landlord story, but a remodel one....I had million+ dollar condo in a SoCal beach town, you can imagine the HOA board, right? So to get all of the large beams up there, I rigged up a rope system manned by my erstwhile bunch of carpenters. Imagine 20 ft long 6 x 12's dangling and swaying 30-40 ft off the ground....I grew a few gray hairs that day for sure!

    Another time I had client (horrible lady) who designed her kitchen and ordered appliances without my input - because she knew it all of course....:-) When the cabinets had been installed and the fancy 4 ft wide fridge arrived, it appeared that she had only left 3-1'2 ft between the island and other counters. No way that fridge was going in there, and it weighed about 350lbs! So, just wanting to be done with this job that had turned nasty, I got about 8 of my guys to lift the Fridge over the island and slide it in. When that fridge failed it was never coming out.....

    • Real Estate Investor · Harrisburg, PA · Member since 2017 · 6 posts · 11 votes
      8mo
      Quote from @Bruce Woodruff:

      Lol, great story!! Not a Landlord story, but a remodel one....I had million+ dollar condo in a SoCal beach town, you can imagine the HOA board, right? So to get all of the large beams up there, I rigged up a rope system manned by my erstwhile bunch of carpenters. Imagine 20 ft long 6 x 12's dangling and swaying 30-40 ft off the ground....I grew a few gray hairs that day for sure!

      Another time I had client (horrible lady) who designed her kitchen and ordered appliances without my input - because she knew it all of course....:-) When the cabinets had been installed and the fancy 4 ft wide fridge arrived, it appeared that she had only left 3-1'2 ft between the island and other counters. No way that fridge was going in there, and it weighed about 350lbs! So, just wanting to be done with this job that had turned nasty, I got about 8 of my guys to lift the Fridge over the island and slide it in. When that fridge failed it was never coming out.....


      I can certainly understand that "knows everything" client.  Crazy stories, lots of fun. 

  • Drew SygitBusiness Member
    Property Manager · Royal Oak, MI · Member since 2012 · 12k+ posts · 9k+ votes
    8mo

    and then there was the tenant who answered the door naked and wanted to trade "something" for rent...

    • Real Estate Investor · Harrisburg, PA · Member since 2017 · 6 posts · 11 votes
      8mo
      Quote from @Drew Sygit:

      and then there was the tenant who answered the door naked and wanted to trade "something" for rent...


       I have had the naked door answering situation, crazy situations in this field 

  • Real Estate Broker · Atlanta · Member since 2024 · 1k+ posts · 605 votes
    8mo

    @Drew Sygit That is one tenant who doesn't believe in living rent free.

  • Jade Miali EverettBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Sebastopol, CA · Member since 2017 · 41 posts · 17 votes
    8mo

    Okay, story time! My scenario is no where near as funny as yours, but I've spent some time going over it and I've tried to at least make it interesting. Enjoy!

    I’ve been in property management long enough to develop a very specific sixth sense.
    Not danger. Well, sometimes.
    Not lease violations. Okay well yes, I do sense that generally too.
    Not even drama. Okay who am I kidding... the sixth sense is...

    Smell!

    One fine late July day, I pulled up for a routine post move-out unit inspection and the air itself felt… thick… and I already knew that I was about to earn my paycheck in a way no spreadsheet could ever justify.

    Door opens.

    Immediate sensory assault.
    Imagine if a fast-food dumpster and a gym sock had a baby and raised it inside a humidifier. I vividly remember walking into the unit, looking to the left through an open bedroom door and my co-worker gasping "Jesus! NoOoOoOo!"

    Trash everywhere. Not just “messy tenant” trash. This was archaeological. Layers. Eras. You could carbon-date the pizza boxes. The entire pile of refuse in this college student's bedroom stood knee high and pervaded every inch of space on what used to be the floor.

    I’m mentally preparing for the usual: photos, documentation, a very professional follow-up email that will absolutely not convey the emotional damage that I'm currently enduring just sizing up the mess.

    Then I heard scraping.

    I turn the corner to the kitchen and see one of the tenants doing what can only be described as a heroic but wildly misguided cleanup attempt.

    They had pulled the actual dumpster from the curb into the unit.
    Like… fully committed. Wheels and all.
    There’s a shovel involved. A real shovel. Snow-shovel-meets-crime-scene energy.

    They’re scooping trash off the floor and tossing it into the dumpster one sad shovel at a time, like they’re trying to bail out the Titanic with a teaspoon.

    We make eye contact.

    There’s a long, silent moment where we both silently acknowledge what doesn't need to be spoken.
    This is not going to end well for anyone.

    After about ten minutes of discussion it becomes apparent that "Roger" is the only tenant who cared living there and is feebly trying to undo months of horrid neglect.
    Every trash can on the property is full.
    The unit still looks like a landfill reboot.

    I gave Roger my okay to quietly abandon the mission.

    And leave.

    Just… leave the entire mess for us like a cursed offering.

    So I did what I always do in these situations... suited up emotionally, spiritually, and with industrial-grade gloves — and start hauling.

    One bag.
    Five bags.
    Ten bags.
    I stop counting because my arms are shaking after moving the couch and of course it gets stuck in the door at an awkward angle and I’m questioning every life choice that led me here.

    Final tally:

    42 contractor-sized bags of trash.

    Forty. Two.
    That’s not cleanup. That’s a hazmat evacuation.

    By the end, I smelled like regret, sweat and unresolved trauma.

    That's why anytime a client calls me and warns me that their project is dealing with a situation that "is not for the faint of heart", I assure them... we've got this. Surely it cannot be THAT bad.

    Intuitive Property Consulting.
    • Rental Property Investor · New Braunfels, TX · Member since 2021 · 289 posts · 256 votes
      8mo
      Quote from @Jade Miali Everett:

      Okay, story time! My scenario is no where near as funny as yours, but I've spent some time going over it and I've tried to at least make it interesting. Enjoy!

      I’ve been in property management long enough to develop a very specific sixth sense.
      Not danger. Well, sometimes.
      Not lease violations. Okay well yes, I do sense that generally too.
      Not even drama. Okay who am I kidding... the sixth sense is...

      Smell!

      One fine late July day, I pulled up for a routine post move-out unit inspection and the air itself felt… thick… and I already knew that I was about to earn my paycheck in a way no spreadsheet could ever justify.

      Door opens.

      Immediate sensory assault.
      Imagine if a fast-food dumpster and a gym sock had a baby and raised it inside a humidifier. I vividly remember walking into the unit, looking to the left through an open bedroom door and my co-worker gasping "Jesus! NoOoOoOo!"

      Trash everywhere. Not just “messy tenant” trash. This was archaeological. Layers. Eras. You could carbon-date the pizza boxes. The entire pile of refuse in this college student's bedroom stood knee high and pervaded every inch of space on what used to be the floor.

      I’m mentally preparing for the usual: photos, documentation, a very professional follow-up email that will absolutely not convey the emotional damage that I'm currently enduring just sizing up the mess.

      Then I heard scraping.

      I turn the corner to the kitchen and see one of the tenants doing what can only be described as a heroic but wildly misguided cleanup attempt.

      They had pulled the actual dumpster from the curb into the unit.
      Like… fully committed. Wheels and all.
      There’s a shovel involved. A real shovel. Snow-shovel-meets-crime-scene energy.

      They’re scooping trash off the floor and tossing it into the dumpster one sad shovel at a time, like they’re trying to bail out the Titanic with a teaspoon.

      We make eye contact.

      There’s a long, silent moment where we both silently acknowledge what doesn't need to be spoken.
      This is not going to end well for anyone.

      After about ten minutes of discussion it becomes apparent that "Roger" is the only tenant who cared living there and is feebly trying to undo months of horrid neglect.
      Every trash can on the property is full.
      The unit still looks like a landfill reboot.

      I gave Roger my okay to quietly abandon the mission.

      And leave.

      Just… leave the entire mess for us like a cursed offering.

      So I did what I always do in these situations... suited up emotionally, spiritually, and with industrial-grade gloves — and start hauling.

      One bag.
      Five bags.
      Ten bags.
      I stop counting because my arms are shaking after moving the couch and of course it gets stuck in the door at an awkward angle and I’m questioning every life choice that led me here.

      Final tally:

      42 contractor-sized bags of trash.

      Forty. Two.
      That’s not cleanup. That’s a hazmat evacuation.

      By the end, I smelled like regret, sweat and unresolved trauma.

      That's why anytime a client calls me and warns me that their project is dealing with a situation that "is not for the faint of heart", I assure them... we've got this. Surely it cannot be THAT bad.

      We bought this house on Mar 3 2020 at a tax sale. Covid shuts down the world a week later. There were people living in here and my lawyer says I can’t charge them rent and we can’t kick them out. Six months later, we took literally “tons” of trash out of this place before we could start gutting it to the studs. $90,000 profit though😬 
    • Jade Miali EverettBusiness Member
      Real Estate Consultant · Sebastopol, CA · Member since 2017 · 41 posts · 17 votes
      8mo
      Quote from @Mike Kirby:
      Quote from @Jade Miali Everett:

      Okay, story time! My scenario is no where near as funny as yours, but I've spent some time going over it and I've tried to at least make it interesting. Enjoy!

      I’ve been in property management long enough to develop a very specific sixth sense.
      Not danger. Well, sometimes.
      Not lease violations. Okay well yes, I do sense that generally too.
      Not even drama. Okay who am I kidding... the sixth sense is...

      Smell!

      One fine late July day, I pulled up for a routine post move-out unit inspection and the air itself felt… thick… and I already knew that I was about to earn my paycheck in a way no spreadsheet could ever justify.

      Door opens.

      Immediate sensory assault.
      Imagine if a fast-food dumpster and a gym sock had a baby and raised it inside a humidifier. I vividly remember walking into the unit, looking to the left through an open bedroom door and my co-worker gasping "Jesus! NoOoOoOo!"

      Trash everywhere. Not just “messy tenant” trash. This was archaeological. Layers. Eras. You could carbon-date the pizza boxes. The entire pile of refuse in this college student's bedroom stood knee high and pervaded every inch of space on what used to be the floor.

      I’m mentally preparing for the usual: photos, documentation, a very professional follow-up email that will absolutely not convey the emotional damage that I'm currently enduring just sizing up the mess.

      Then I heard scraping.

      I turn the corner to the kitchen and see one of the tenants doing what can only be described as a heroic but wildly misguided cleanup attempt.

      They had pulled the actual dumpster from the curb into the unit.
      Like… fully committed. Wheels and all.
      There’s a shovel involved. A real shovel. Snow-shovel-meets-crime-scene energy.

      They’re scooping trash off the floor and tossing it into the dumpster one sad shovel at a time, like they’re trying to bail out the Titanic with a teaspoon.

      We make eye contact.

      There’s a long, silent moment where we both silently acknowledge what doesn't need to be spoken.
      This is not going to end well for anyone.

      After about ten minutes of discussion it becomes apparent that "Roger" is the only tenant who cared living there and is feebly trying to undo months of horrid neglect.
      Every trash can on the property is full.
      The unit still looks like a landfill reboot.

      I gave Roger my okay to quietly abandon the mission.

      And leave.

      Just… leave the entire mess for us like a cursed offering.

      So I did what I always do in these situations... suited up emotionally, spiritually, and with industrial-grade gloves — and start hauling.

      One bag.
      Five bags.
      Ten bags.
      I stop counting because my arms are shaking after moving the couch and of course it gets stuck in the door at an awkward angle and I’m questioning every life choice that led me here.

      Final tally:

      42 contractor-sized bags of trash.

      Forty. Two.
      That’s not cleanup. That’s a hazmat evacuation.

      By the end, I smelled like regret, sweat and unresolved trauma.

      That's why anytime a client calls me and warns me that their project is dealing with a situation that "is not for the faint of heart", I assure them... we've got this. Surely it cannot be THAT bad.

      We bought this house on Mar 3 2020 at a tax sale. Covid shuts down the world a week later. There were people living in here and my lawyer says I can’t charge them rent and we can’t kick them out. Six months later, we took literally “tons” of trash out of this place before we could start gutting it to the studs. $90,000 profit though😬 

      I am in disbelief that it only took six months for you to regain possession! What a miracle. Those pictures are surely not a laughing matter. O.O

      Intuitive Property Consulting.
  • Homeowner · Western Slope, CO · Member since 2023 · 42 posts · 21 votes
    8mo

    @Keith Bentzel, thanks for the chuckle. I appreciated this!

  • Investor · Beaver Falls, PA · Member since 2015 · 275 posts · 82 votes
    8mo

    @Keith Bentzel My buddy had a large bat nest sealed up in a property in Pennsylvania. The next day the bats could only exist the next but couldn’t get back I into it so the result was over 50 bats stuck all over the house. Many of the bats were all around the front door and under the shutters. The tenants would not exist the house because they were afraid and no company could get out to take care of it for a couple of days. My buddy put on a tyvek suit and armed himself with a hammer, a razor knife, a 5 gallon bucket and a ladder. Played whack-A-Bat for over an hour. Looked like a scene from Texas chainsaw massacre.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.