Tacoma, WA · Member since 2026 · 28 posts · 29 votes
5mo
For me it has been keeping up with maintenance requests across multiple units without things falling through the cracks. I self-manage a 4-plex and a duplex in Tacoma and the volume of small stuff adds up fast. A tenant reports a leaky faucet, another one has a garbage disposal issue, and then you have the bigger stuff like HVAC maintenance coming due. For a while I was just using texts and a notebook which worked fine with 2 units but once I hit 6 doors it got messy. The other thing that gets me is expense tracking at tax time. Keeping receipts organized and categorized for Schedule E across multiple properties is tedious but if you don't stay on top of it all year you are scrambling in March.
For me it has been keeping up with maintenance requests across multiple units without things falling through the cracks. I self-manage a 4-plex and a duplex in Tacoma and the volume of small stuff adds up fast. A tenant reports a leaky faucet, another one has a garbage disposal issue, and then you have the bigger stuff like HVAC maintenance coming due. For a while I was just using texts and a notebook which worked fine with 2 units but once I hit 6 doors it got messy. The other thing that gets me is expense tracking at tax time. Keeping receipts organized and categorized for Schedule E across multiple properties is tedious but if you don't stay on top of it all year you are scrambling in March.
That’s exactly the tipping point—when a few units turn into multiple, the small stuff starts piling up fast. Sounds like it’s less about effort and more about needing a system.
Are you still managing everything manually or using any tools?
Alex — the 6-door threshold is real. Almost everyone I talk to says the same thing: 2-3 units you can manage in your head, but somewhere between 5 and 8 it stops working. The notebook and texts system isn't the problem — it's just not designed to scale past a certain volume.
Two things that made the biggest difference for us operationally: (1) getting every maintenance request to come through a single channel instead of scattered across texts, calls, and emails — even if that just means training tenants to text one number, and (2) having a simple way to log what happened and who handled it, so at tax time you're not reconstructing everything from memory.
The Schedule E scramble in March is genuinely painful. What are you using now to track expenses — just bank statements or something else?
Tacoma, WA · Member since 2026 · 28 posts · 29 votes
5mo
Yeah the notebook and texts system worked fine at 2 units but once I hit 6 doors it just wasn't sustainable. To answer both of your questions - I was doing the bank statement thing for expenses for way too long and it was brutal at tax time. I switched to a tool called Rental Manager maybe 4 months ago and honestly the Schedule E categorization is what sold me. It's free for a single property which is how I tried it, and now I use it for everything. Not perfect but way better than the spreadsheet I was limping along with before. The maintenance request tracking is decent too - tenants text a number instead of texting me directly which helps keep things organized when you have multiple units.
Yeah the notebook and texts system worked fine at 2 units but once I hit 6 doors it just wasn't sustainable. To answer both of your questions - I was doing the bank statement thing for expenses for way too long and it was brutal at tax time. I switched to a tool called Rental Manager maybe 4 months ago and honestly the Schedule E categorization is what sold me. It's free for a single property which is how I tried it, and now I use it for everything. Not perfect but way better than the spreadsheet I was limping along with before. The maintenance request tracking is decent too - tenants text a number instead of texting me directly which helps keep things organized when you have multiple units.
That’s a solid setup—especially getting everything into one channel and having Schedule E handled early.
What I’ve been seeing is once things are organized like this, the next challenge becomes knowing what actually needs attention across properties before it turns into something bigger.
Alex — good call on Rental Manager, the Schedule E categorization alone is worth it. The 'tenants text a number instead of me directly' piece is where the real time savings show up — once that's working you stop being the human router between tenant and vendor.
Curious — at 6 doors are you self-managing everything including vendor coordination, or do you have someone local handling the on-site piece?
Chris is right that people are the hardest part — but operationally, I'd say the gap between 'organized' and 'proactive' is where most landlords get stuck. You can have every maintenance request logged and still be reactive because the system tells you what happened, not what's about to happen. That's the piece most tools haven't solved yet.
The Schedule E pain is real — that's actually the thing I hear most from landlords around the 5-6 unit mark. Chasing receipts in March because nothing was categorized all year is brutal.
I built a tool called RentBase specifically for this range (1-10 units). It handles rent tracking, gives tenants a portal to submit maintenance requests (so they stop texting you at 11pm), and exports a Schedule E-ready CSV at tax time. Free 14-day trial at rent-base.com if you want to check it out.