Rental Property Investor · Everywhere, USA · Member since 2012 · 689 posts · 525 votes
12y
I would be interested to know what the gross rents were from each option, then use that to help gauge a rate of return.
That aside, my quick answer is a duplex. I love multi-family and like the fact that even if one unit is empty, the property is still generating income.
Wholesaler · Holiday, FL · Member since 2013 · 571 posts · 221 votes
12y
I would say that the 2/1/1 would be in the $750. range. The 1/1/0 is tougher for me to project - but let's say $450. to be on the safe side.
The 4/2/1 rent is pretty much impossible for me because I haven't owned one for many years and have never owned one in Florida.
But let's say that the gross was the same: As a SFH - $1200. As a Duplex - $750+$450= $1200.
BTW: I like hearing your multi-family opinion - because I am the opposite. I avoid multi because I find the hassle and vacancy factor substantially less with SFH'ing. <g>
So now with the gross the same - what is your preference? Still the duplex I am guessing? <g>
I would be interested to know what the gross rents were from each option, then use that to help gauge a rate of return.
That aside, my quick answer is a duplex. I love multi-family and like the fact that even if one unit is empty, the property is still generating income.
Rental Property Investor · Seattle, WA · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
12y
If it is that close to the beach, would vacation rental make sense? In that case I'd do the SFR option.
I'd do more research on the volume and market rent of the 4 and 1 bedroom. In our market 4 BR is rare, making it easy to rent but had to get market rent. In general our duplexes cash flow better but SFR are less hassle due to higher caliber tenant and more space between neighbors. Seems like younger smaller family sizes would put more premium on being near the beach, the SFR could attract roommate situations with similar headaches.