Rental Property Investor · Baltimore County Maryland and Tampa Florida · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
For those of you investing in Baltimore County Maryland--and especially with multi-units--how do you handle the water bills?
-Do you pay it yourself and "include" it in the rent? -Do you have a method of determining which unit owes what per bill if it's not separately metered? -Is it legal to say in a lease that if the water bill is above $XX amount, that the tenants owe the difference?
Call your county government and inquire if there are any programs available to assist you.
For Baltimore City residents
If you have received an incorrect water bill, contact the Department of Public Works and request an information conference.
If you have had a water leak, contact the Department of Public Works and request a credit.
If you a Baltimore City resident, 65 or older and have a maximum income of $25,000, you can qualify for a Low Income Senior Citizens Water Discount, which may reduce your water bill by 35%.
For any billing issues including obtaining credits, call the Department at 410-396-5398.
If you are having issues paying your electric bill (which does not trigger a tax sale), you can apply for energy assistance. Call BGE at 410-685-2200 or contact the Office of Home Energy Programs at 800-352-1446 (Baltimore City residents should call 410-396-5555). Grants can help with past-due amounts and future payments.
Property Manager · Windsor Mill, MD · Member since 2014 · 21 posts · 4 votes
12y
I'm in Baltimore County and my landlord spreads the entire bill across the number of tenants in that buidling. For example if the bill is $100 and there are 4 units, each will receive a bill for $25. But it may be easier and more appealing to just include it in your rent.
Wholesaler · Westminster, CO · Member since 2013 · 224 posts · 77 votes
12y
@Nicole A. I don't know the laws in Baltimore about providing water but here they don't require it. On my duplex, I pay for the water and got very concerned when the water bill exceeded $200 per month on 3 bedroom 1.5 bath each side, so I took the approach to change all the toilets to low-flow toilets (which also helps to reduce toilet overflow problems) and ensure I had all leaks fixed.
Once that happened, I then included a paragraph in my new lease that the tenants will receive a $100 water credit and if the bill exceeds $200 the the tenants will be responsible for half of the overage. I do not provide any refund of this credit what so ever as this is part of rent.
Then I noticed the water bill has been reduced to around $150 per month which encouraged each side to conserve water. I am totally amazed that this technique worked and now I make more money per month on the property and it has paid for the toilets!
Additionally, I pay for the trash service (our city does not provide trash service). The reason I do this is previously the trash pilled up outside and the property started to look run-down. By providing this as part of the rent, it helps keep the place looking much nicer. Other neighbor owners do not provide trash service and their properties look like dumps! I do not provide the trash cans as these often get damaged or become missing, so the tenants can either provide them or use trash bags - so far it has worked just fine.
Rental Property Investor · Baltimore County Maryland and Tampa Florida · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
12y
Thanks guys.
Well, this question was based on a recent bill; I just saw my water bill for this property and it was just over $250! There are two units in this property and when filled, the average bill every quarter is around $50. Only one unit is filled right now. Something has to be seriously leaking.
I called the tenants and told them about the bill and asked if they noticed anything at all leaking. They mentioned they've noticed that water is coming out of the sidewalk area out front by the water meter. Later that evening, they texted me pictures of it, and yeah, that very well is my problem.
I then called Baltimore water and they are supposed to come investigate within 24hrs.
If the water meter outside is leaking or causing this, is this my tough luck? Or are they responsible for fixing it? Can I "appeal" this latest bill?
Severna Park, MD · Member since 2013 · 47 posts · 9 votes
12y
I don't know about Baltimore City or County, but Anne Arundel county offers a credit if you've had a documented leak. Or at least they used to. It certain doesn't hurt to ask!
Investor · Raleigh, NC · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 708 votes
12y
Don't know about Baltimore either - around here you are on the hook for anything on the user side of the water meter. That said, I have heard of cases where this may have been negotiable for documented leaks, as @Kate Horrell
Call your county government and inquire if there are any programs available to assist you.
For Baltimore City residents
If you have received an incorrect water bill, contact the Department of Public Works and request an information conference.
If you have had a water leak, contact the Department of Public Works and request a credit.
If you a Baltimore City resident, 65 or older and have a maximum income of $25,000, you can qualify for a Low Income Senior Citizens Water Discount, which may reduce your water bill by 35%.
For any billing issues including obtaining credits, call the Department at 410-396-5398.
If you are having issues paying your electric bill (which does not trigger a tax sale), you can apply for energy assistance. Call BGE at 410-685-2200 or contact the Office of Home Energy Programs at 800-352-1446 (Baltimore City residents should call 410-396-5555). Grants can help with past-due amounts and future payments.
Rental Property Investor · Baltimore County Maryland and Tampa Florida · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
12y
Thank you, I will keep you posted.
So far, someone from B'more County water came and looked and the notes in their system says it's related to my neighbor. I did a quick search of his water bill and they only owe about $14.
So I called the billing department and told them about the situation. They set up another ticket for someone to come out and look at my meter within 10 business days. Then they will call back with the findings. If something is wrong that requires their repair, they let me know and give me a confirmation number, which I pass along to the adjustments department.
Real Estate Agent · Catonsville, MD · Member since 2013 · 25 posts · 15 votes
12y
Hi, I was able to get a water bill credit last year from Baltimore City. I had a leaky toilet, replaced the toilet, then sent them a copy of the receipt from the repair. Call and ask for it, I had no trouble getting it.
Baltimore, MD · Member since 2012 · 71 posts · 18 votes
12y
Like Kirsten S. I discovered after a large water bill that I had a leaky toilet that was repaired. After I sent them the receipt they credited my acct. for a certain amount with no problems.
I had a situation where my house was vacant several months in between tenants for rehab and advertising and I got a $300 water bill for that quarter! I wrote to the city and they reduced it by $100 or so. Not much, but better than nothing from Baltimore City?
Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2014 · 28 posts · 6 votes
12y
The Mayor sent out a letter stating that they are offering a private water and sewer service line protection program due to the frustration of customers discovering they are responsible for costs to leaking water line or blocked sewer laterals on their property.
Rental Property Investor · Baltimore County Maryland and Tampa Florida · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
12y
Update: After lots of back-and-forth with Baltimore Counter water, they came out a few times. Once to simply say my meter was working and not even mention the stream of water going down the road after flowing out of the meter well.
Then again to simply say it's "on the consumer's side". No explanation how they came to that finding of course.
I just paid $900 this morning for a plumber to come out and he started digging closest to the meter well and found that the leak is indeed on the County's side of responsibility! There is apparently an 18 inch amount of line after the meter that they are responsible for and that's where the problem is.
He called them to try to have someone come out right then while he had the problem exposed. They simply said "1-5 days". He had to refill the hole because we're not going to have someone fall in and get hurt obviously.
I called and they wouldn't budge from the "1-5 days". I said I understand that, but isn't this a bit important? No one cares that a STREAM is going down the road? Nope. Apparently not.
Also, why should I be responsible for this $900 bill? I seriously want to send it to them.
Investor · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2008 · 17k+ posts · 13k+ votes
12y
Originally posted by @Account Closed:
The Mayor sent out a letter stating that they are offering a private water and sewer service line protection program due to the frustration of customers discovering they are responsible for costs to leaking water line or blocked sewer laterals on their property.
I just paid $900 this morning for a plumber to come . . . There is apparently an 18 inch amount of line after the meter that they are responsible for
Also, why should I be responsible for this $900 bill? I seriously want to send it to them.
Seems to me based on what you said you are not responsible, the county is. Sadly it may not be worth the trouble to fight but I would certainly give it a try.
Rental Property Investor · Baltimore County Maryland and Tampa Florida · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
12y
Now the City (who runs County water) won't turn the water back on. They went back out there last night and said "the plumber doesn't know what he's talking about. It's on consumer side. And we're turning the water off until it's fixed because it's potentially causing damage."
My plumber had an inspector out there that said it's County side and plumber can't touch it. City doesnt care. The guy is like "we have investigators, not inspectors" and then said "i know what an inspector is" when i explained difference.
The number of times they came before, they turned the water back on. Now all of a sudden they refuse to?? I feel like they're trying to force my hand to fix it myself. My husband and I are getting ready to go down there now and make someone show up while we're there. They didn't even bother to look anywhere than the meter well...not the hole dug by plumber.
My renters went without water. I need to get them water or I'll have to put them in a hotel.
Something is going to happen today. I've had enough. My husband may be better at making that something happen.
Rental Property Investor · Baltimore County Maryland and Tampa Florida · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
12y
Okay! Another update! Finally got a City crew out there...a bunch of people. Everyone was there. The plumber explained his findings. Then the City dug up another hole just outside the meter well and I guess apparently this leak is indeed on my side.
Both sides were so adamant that they were right so I'm glad that I raised a little hell to get everyone out there in person. No more phonecall games. So the water is back on (temporarily) and my plumber is bringing his crew out in an hour to start the job.
My renters have been so nice and understanding about all of this. I'm just happy we all got down to the bottom of this. The City doesn't exactly give you the vibe that they care on the phone and with a plumber and inspector saying it's not my side, something had to give. Now my bill will be bigger, but at least this will be over with soon. The original $900 goes towards the whole job.
The City doesn't exactly give you the vibe that they care on the phone
Glad to see you're finally getting this thing resolved. Your statement is 100% correct. I was on the phone with them yesterday trying to get a status on a tax appeal that I sent in 7 months ago and the lady told me word for word "we haven't gotten to it yet because we've got more important things to take care of". Then told me that I was still responsible to overpay them by $2000 and that once they finalize it they will refund me. It really sucks being at the mercy of the government sometimes.
Rental Property Investor · Baltimore County Maryland and Tampa Florida · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
12y
You won't believe my luck. Now, we have serious electrical issues.
When the plumber started his job, sparks literally started flying. Light bulbs went out and outlets too. Some appliances and surge protectors are fried. I possibly have at least one dead fridge (this is a two unit building).
The theory is/was that the house was no longer grounded when the original copper/metallic water piping was removed because back in the day, they'd ground a house to these pipes. We now have the plastic (for lack of the correct term) water piping coming into the house.
My husband and our electrician friend went yesterday and grounded the house for each meter using grounding rods. They replaced bulbs and outlets and thought all was okay. But after they left, more things were burning out.
I called BGE (our power company) and someone came this morning and said everything in the basement looks good. He went ahead and replaced some things outside on BGE's side and suggested we replace our "service line". The voltage seems strong (obviously for burning out things).
I called another electrician who will hopefully come out tomorrow. This is very stressful. My renters are such good sports about it. The 2nd unit is empty. The plumber is also very helpful about it and said he'll do whatever he can to help as in take some money off the bill.
Investor · Savage, MD · Member since 2014 · 20 posts · 10 votes
12y
@ Nicole W
Take a trip to the county offices. Ask for them to print a history of the water consumption for the last 6-8 quarters. Clearly there will be an anomaly in the last quarter. Combined with your pictures, you have a case. Ask what your recourse is. If the clerk can't answer, ask to speak to a supervisor, then a manager. Half the challenge in these situations is finding out who to talk to and finding someone willing to help.
In Baltimore City, they have a process called an "informal hearing." I've been through it with some multi-family properties we used to manage. I'm not familiar with the County procedure but suspect they have one. I"m sorry you paid $900 for a plumber, hopefully you got some good pictures while the hole was dug. If they have a hearing process, perhaps you'll have an opportunity to argue for some credit against future water bills considering you had to come out of pocket to provide evidence of the county responsibility.
- wow, you are getting slammed right now but my feeling is once this burst of bad luck is over, you'll have a settled period. Sound like you have great tenants and your contractors are good people. As frustrating as it is, it could be that much worse. Here - to lift your spirits - at least you didn't go look at a house today where there were gaping holes in the ceiling and a non-existent kitchen area but somehow this is worth 50K more - in the seller's mind - than what I offered. I.E., rejection . . . and in the absence of reason as well - stinks!! lol!!
Rental Property Investor · Baltimore County Maryland and Tampa Florida · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
12y
Thanks, @Christina R. . That did make me smile. Sorry to hear about your not getting a deal.
I think things may be better now. Since BGE replaced some things on their end, everything seems fine again. In fact, some of the items that seemed fried are working again such as the renter's microwave.
We thought the fridge was good too because it started cooling, but it sounds like it's not fully cooling. :-( I just bought that fridge in March 2013 too... perhaps I can get it replaced with my receipt? ;-) I might as well look into it.
Then all day yesterday Matt and I were clearing out the main line from our kitchen sink in our own home. The blockage was far down the line. So we had to snake from the clean-out point in the basement....which of course was drywalled over. And we knew water would come flying out when we opened it so we had the wet-vac going to suck it all up as it flew out. It was crazy. What a weekend. I'm glad this is (seemingly) over.
Next step is to turn in paperwork on the waterpipe repairs to get my water bill adjustment.