Do you suggest renting PO Box to collect rent?

Do you suggest renting PO Box to collect rent?

Real Estate Investor · New York, NY · Member since 2014 · 15 posts · 2 votes

Hi,

I have a question for investors out there. Do you suggest renting a PO Box to collect your monthly rental checks? I will not be living in the building so I would like to avoid physically collecting these checks in the beginning of each month. Any pros and cons to renting a PO Box (other than the yearly fee)? Thanks in advance.

2Reply
161 views

Most Popular Reply

Involved In Real Estate · Houston, TX · Member since 2009 · 49 posts · 27 votes
12y

Hi,

I suggest you create a bank account with one of the bigger banks in your area that has many locations.  Then it is up to your tenants to stop by and deposit the rent money/check in the account by a certain date.  It will be easy for you to check if they paid on time, as you can check instantly online.  Make sure this is in your lease agreement.  This is what I do with my rentals and it is great! Speaking of whic, rent is due on one of my units today, and I got to log in and check right now.

Hope this helps.

Leon

See this reply in the discussion

32 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Hagerstown, MD · Member since 2014 · 299 posts · 140 votes
    12y

    @Tiffy W. I use SparkRent to collect my rents online. Since they are deposited directly into my bank account, I don't have to drive around picking up checks and depositing them, and waiting for them to clear. However, this may be a problem if you have tenants that don't have a bank account or the internet.

    I had considered using a PO Box for all business mail and use it also on the leases. But for now I use my physical address, since the thought of driving to the PO Box every day to check it is unappealing.

  • Real Estate Investor · New York, NY · Member since 2014 · 15 posts · 2 votes
    12y

    Thank you, Beth, for your suggestion.

    Majority of my tenants are older folks so I highly doubt they have it all set up via internet.

    On the physical address, do you mean your home mailing address?

  • San Francisco, CA · Member since 2014 · 345 posts · 281 votes
    12y

    I have a UPS box, also capable of receiving shipments (I get an e-mail when a package has arrived, for example). 

    There are lots of folks Bigger Pockets who feel they have to carry a gun to show vacant units.   That is over-the-top for my business, but I don't think it hurts to have an anonymous PO box in case you stumble upon a crazy person.   Though, if your client base is nice retired people, it probably won't matter.  

  • Real Estate Investor · New York, NY · Member since 2014 · 15 posts · 2 votes
    12y

    Thanks, Tom!

  • Involved In Real Estate · Houston, TX · Member since 2009 · 49 posts · 27 votes
    12y

    Hi,

    I suggest you create a bank account with one of the bigger banks in your area that has many locations.  Then it is up to your tenants to stop by and deposit the rent money/check in the account by a certain date.  It will be easy for you to check if they paid on time, as you can check instantly online.  Make sure this is in your lease agreement.  This is what I do with my rentals and it is great! Speaking of whic, rent is due on one of my units today, and I got to log in and check right now.

    Hope this helps.

    Leon

  • Real Estate Investor · New York, NY · Member since 2014 · 15 posts · 2 votes
    12y

    Thank you for your suggestion, Leon.

  • Bill S.Pro Member
    Moderator
    Rental Property Investor · Denver, CO · Member since 2013 · 4k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    12y

    @Tiffy W. relying on the PO is so last century. I highly recommend an ACH service. Tenants need a bank account and an email. The ACH service debits the tenants account for rent. You can set it up so that it happens pretty much any schedule. It's far superior to something that they must do each month. Having them deposit the funds in your account each month is the only other viable method IMO.

  • Chris K.Pro Member
    Investor · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2012 · 1k+ posts · 655 votes
    12y

    I don't suggest a P.O. Box solely for the purpose of collecting rent but I do suggest having one and if nothing else works use it for rent collections but I would Electronic payments or bank deposits before doing mail.

  • Dallas, TX · Member since 2013 · 4k+ posts · 744 votes
    12y

    The reason most tenants don't have a bank account, they don't trust the banks.


    Joe Gore

  • Nicole A.Pro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Baltimore County Maryland and Tampa Florida · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    12y

    I, too, suggest having your bank account with a bank that is popular and easy to access in your tenants' town. Then they can go to the bank and deposit it into your account with the teller. I do this with some of my tenants.

    Also, you could try PayNearMe. It is a $3.99 for the tenant to use, but they take their rent money to a nearby 7-eleven, Dollar Store or Ace and present a barcode/number that you'd send to them. The PayNearMe service will then immediately notify you of the payment and it'll go into your bank account in a few days. I have used this as well for tenants who don't use the internet and/or don't have a checking account of their own.

    Otherwise, yes, you could do the PO Box. It's cheap and doesn't give them your house address. UPS box is more expensive, but can do more things such as used as a business entity's main address on record. You can't use a PO Box for a business entity. Maybe you're not using a business anyway, but just saying the difference. :-)

  • Specialist · Toronto, Ontario · Member since 2012 · 2k+ posts · 891 votes
    12y

    Build a relationship with a banker from your home bank. Most will be happy to accept the check and deposit them for you. Only thing is it won't be easy to track especially if you have a 10 unit and all the rents are all $450 a month. You won't know who paid or didn't. If it is multiple units but all the rents are different amounts then it will be easier to track. My banker is too busy for me to hassle her on that.

    If you have a multi unit you can nominate 1 tenant to collect all the rent and mail it to your bank or PO Box. Just reduce there rent by $5 and they will be happy to do it. Save stamps and they can keep track.

    Hope this helps

  • Real Estate Investor · New York, NY · Member since 2014 · 15 posts · 2 votes
    12y

    These are all very good suggestions. I now have a few options to consider. Thank you guys!

  • Specialist · Toronto, Ontario · Member since 2012 · 2k+ posts · 891 votes
    12y

    Also I did inquire on a PO Box with companies do provide a service where they can scan all mail and redirect them. This service was made for investors. I was going to use the service to redirect the checks to my banker. It was kinda pricey so I swallowed the bullet with a property manager to avoid headaches.  

  • Investor · Hagerstown, MD · Member since 2014 · 299 posts · 140 votes
    12y

    @Tiffy W. Yes, I use my home address since that is also my business address. However, I don't like giving it out to tenants. May have to do something else soon.

    You could install a locked drop box at the building for the tenants to put their checks in. And then drive by to pick them all up. Also you can give the property a look over while you are there. Especially if you don't drive by often.  

  • Dawn BrenengenBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Raleigh, NC · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    12y

    @Tiffy W. I absolutely recommend having a PO box for rent checks.  My first line of accepting rent is through ACH payments online.  Some tenants won't use it, so some deposit straight to my account.  I don't like that because then I have to match up the amounts with who pays what in rent.  Lastly, I accept checks through the PO box.  I don't like tenants dropping off checks to my house, but some do it anyways.  I've been caught in my PJs, chasing my kids around in the front yard, drinking with a neighbor, etc.  It's a bit of an invasion of privacy.

  • Rehabber · Smyrna, GA · Member since 2013 · 864 posts · 510 votes
    12y
    I still get all my mail at a PO Box, but check it every month or two. Everything important to me is done online. Only government and insurance companies insist on not letting go of mail. It's good asset protection. Hard for someone to sue you if they can't serve you. I intentionally keep mine in a different county than I live in too, just in case they do notorious serious or something. I don't own many rentals these days, but if I did, id have one of the online pay services or set up an ACH on their paydays. If they can't do that you don't want them as tenants.
  • Dallas, TX · Member since 2013 · 4k+ posts · 744 votes
    12y

    @Darrell Shepherd

    If you are dodging the processor server, they can just post it in the local newspaper and consider you been served.


    Joe Gore

  • Real Estate Investor · Encinitas, CA · Member since 2013 · 225 posts · 91 votes
    12y

    I would get a UPS Store (or similar) box instead of a PO Box.

    It costs more but is much more flexible (is an actual physical address, can receive UPS and FedEx etc.)

    I had a PO Box for a while and got rid of it for exactly those reasons.

  • Chris K.Pro Member
    Investor · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2012 · 1k+ posts · 655 votes
    12y
    Originally posted by @Mark Whittlesey: 

    I would get a UPS Store (or similar) box instead of a PO Box.

    It costs more but is much more flexible (is an actual physical address, can receive UPS and FedEx etc.)

    I had a PO Box for a while and got rid of it for exactly those reasons.

     Just so you know you can use a USPS PO Box as a physical street address now and receive UPS and Fedex there also. 

    https://ribbs.usps.gov/index.cfm?page=mtcsa

  • Involved In Real Estate · Winston-Salem, NC · Member since 2013 · 277 posts · 188 votes
    12y

    @Tiffy W. Since I work out of a home office (for now), I use a PO Box as my business mailing address.  I also give it to tenants so they could send rent checks and any other correspondence to me.  Once I gave them the online option, however, and the bank didn't deliver one tenant's check causing a late fee, they've all used the online option.

  • Real Estate Investor · Encinitas, CA · Member since 2013 · 225 posts · 91 votes
    12y

    @Chris K. 

     Cool. Thanks for the update. USPS specifically forbade from doing anything like this years ago. At least they woke up...

  • Multi-family Investor · Tyler, TX · Member since 2010 · 26 posts · 1 vote
    12y

    I have a PO Box that i used for that purpose and any other business mail but since converting to ACH i am not sure when its the last time I went by the post office.  There are quite a few solutions out there so that even the most tech challenged person can pay electronically. I would definatley not go back to snail mail/checks again.  You can offer an incentive such a discount on rent if the pay online or via bank draft. Maybe  $25. tenants like the convience and they also feel like they are getting a deal.  Once they get used to it they will never want to write a check again.  

  • Real Estate Broker · Cleveland Dayton Cincinnati Toledo Columbus & Akron, OH · Member since 2013 · 30k+ posts · 20k+ votes
    12y

    @Tiffy W. I've used a UPS store box before. Worked out pretty well.

  • Real Estate Broker · Cleveland Dayton Cincinnati Toledo Columbus & Akron, OH · Member since 2013 · 30k+ posts · 20k+ votes
    12y

    I do prefer having them take it to the bank tho.

  • Real Estate Investor · Panama City, FL · Member since 2012 · 265 posts · 58 votes
    12y
    You can now use the address of the post office followed by unit #xxx instead of PO Box #. I'm using one now for all my mail. Also on my rents I have all my amounts set different so that I know which unit it is. 1 may be 600.00 and the other 1 will be 601.00. Just enough so I know and can reconcile my books later.
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.