Tenant wants to put up a Fence - SFR

Tenant wants to put up a Fence - SFR

Rental Property Investor · Worcester, MA · Member since 2013 · 137 posts · 36 votes

In my KCMO rental which is a SFR in a nice suburb the tenant is requesting to put up a fence in the backyard. What are you thoughts? Has anyone allowed a tenant to have a contractor install a fence on their rental property?

My thoughts are that I would allow it if the lot was surveyed and a fence contractor came in to install the fence, I would not allow the tenant to perform any work. And of course I would not be paying for this, the tenant would be responsible for the costs.

Thanks!

Mike

0Reply
6 views

Most Popular Reply

Dick RosenPro Member
Property Manager · Gilbert, AZ · Member since 2009 · 1k+ posts · 451 votes
11y

Besides overseeing the project you'll want to make sure he actually pays the contractor and you should get a lien waiver from the contractor. I here too often of these projects taking place, don't pay, contractor slaps a lien on your property. Doesn't affect the tenant at all but now you have a lien on the property making you responsible to pay the bill.

See this reply in the discussion

10 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Flipper/Rehabber · Rochester, NY · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    11y

    If it is professionally installed with the proper set-back and adds value to the property, absolutely I would let them put it in!  Besides, they will likely be long term tenants!  Just be fair about not raising the rent anytime soon.

  • Investor · Middletown, NJ · Member since 2008 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    11y

    Make sure they're responsible for any maintenance or damage repair. Also let them know it's a permanent fixture, and you will not reimburse if/when they move...it stays with the property. Whatever you do, get it in writing. Do they plan on getting a pet, or do they already have one?

  • Syracuse, NY · Member since 2014 · 143 posts · 35 votes
    11y

    Abolustely! Add cost to the property without a dime from your pocket? Sounds like the perfect situation to me. I would just make sure to closely oversee the performance of this installation.

  • Dick RosenPro Member
    Property Manager · Gilbert, AZ · Member since 2009 · 1k+ posts · 451 votes
    11y

    Besides overseeing the project you'll want to make sure he actually pays the contractor and you should get a lien waiver from the contractor. I here too often of these projects taking place, don't pay, contractor slaps a lien on your property. Doesn't affect the tenant at all but now you have a lien on the property making you responsible to pay the bill.

  • Real Estate Agent · Southington, CT · Member since 2008 · 5k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    11y

    @Dick Rosen  brings up a great point.

  • Contractor · Raleigh, NC · Member since 2014 · 651 posts · 510 votes
    11y

    Maybe I'm weird but I wouldn't feel right letting them pay for it since it would then be a permanent part of my property.  I'd either offer to pay for it or else say no. 

  • Investor · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 688 votes
    11y
    Nope. If its there and can break and will be your responsibility
  • Minooka, IL · Member since 2013 · 353 posts · 85 votes
    11y

    Absolutely not. When they're gone you're still stuck maintaining it. I don't let my tenants alter anything in any of my rentals.

  • bennett, CO · Member since 2014 · 225 posts · 122 votes
    11y

    If i had the extra money, I would allow it as long as they paid for half of it. I would also need them to share the work with me. If I could not afford to pay for half, I would not allow it.

  • Real Estate Agent · WA · Member since 2014 · 10 posts · 3 votes
    11y

    I would let them put a fence in, but it is one more thing to maintain.  Make sure you document everything for your records and have them request in writing to you including what you want...ie survey, pay contractor, ect.  Also, don't forget to discuss the type of fence if they put in the cheapest fence it will end up costing you money in the long run.  One other thought, once you have a fence, you are more likely to have tenants with pets apply in the future, so if you don't like pets in your rentals say no.  Good luck 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.