Downstair condo owner compaling about squeaky sound from above

Downstair condo owner compaling about squeaky sound from above

Redwood City, CA · Member since 2014 · 2 posts · 0 votes

Folks, need help here.

I have top floor condo rented out in last one year. The downstairs neighbor has complained about squeaky sound and heavy foot steps constantly in last ten months. I have worked cooperatively with him and the tenants in the last ten months trying to reduce the noise. I even fasten the sub floor with screws and changed the floor in bathroom to reduce the noise. But this guy keeps complaining the squeaky sound from the bathroom area.

Some background about the building and the rental: it is a thirty-year old four story building with wood frames. The previous owner is a pair of old folks living there for last twenty years and I bought it last year and two sisters in their 30-40s moved in. My guess the old owners don't walk lightly due to their illness and the new tenants are more active. And it is a old building and squeaky sound from the joists are expected.

Now I received a letter from HOA about the noise. To make things worse, the downstairs neighbor also sits on the board. Any suggestions what I should do here to work with the board and also protect my tenants and my rights? Thanks!

0Reply
22 views

3 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Joel OwensBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Canton, GA · Member since 2010 · 15k+ posts · 11k+ votes
    11y

    When a building gets that age it loses a lot of it's  sound deadening properties. The insulation tends to get thinner and thinner.

    Have you heard this noise for yourself the neighbor is talking about??

    Have you replaced the insulation in the ceiling with more dense sound deadening material??

    It's hard to comment without knowing the noise and it's decibel level.

    At this point before spending anymore money on the unit you might want to just drop a few hundred on a litigation attorney familiar with HOA's to get counsel.

    No legal advice given.

  • Real Estate Broker · Gibsonia, PA · Member since 2013 · 828 posts · 260 votes
    11y

    WOW! 

     I have similar situation, but my complaining Tenants is in MIXED used bldg..

    so, apt with kids, and restaurant downstairs.  Both complain about noise.

    But they are in mixed used situation, and apt pays lower rent... so we verbally figured it out. No more running around and blasting music (teenagers),

  • Redwood City, CA · Member since 2014 · 2 posts · 0 votes
    11y

    the unit I have is on top floor. I replaced the floor with thicker materials (hardiebacker between tile and underneath sub floors. there are two layers of plywood so I used screw to fasten them again). The noise is the squeaky sound which I believe coming from the joists which I cannot really do much. I did hear the squeaky sound. I noticed the similar sound when people walking in  condo hallways. It is a old building and I guess it is expected.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.