Rent to someone with an eviction - crazy?

Rent to someone with an eviction - crazy?

Investor · Oak Park, MI · Member since 2014 · 299 posts · 47 votes

Hi guys,

I put up my current home up for rent and as a twist I decided I'll give it a shot and also offer the house furnished and bump up the price (around $350/month extra) since the house is nicely decorated and has everything a renter would need and it's updated. Well, one guy responded, he's the only one that responded and I know it's because the furnished and high rent b/c the area is hot for renters. He seems perfect as a renter, professional, good income job, no pets, low key, willing to give first, last, and deposit. BUT... he went thru a divorce a couple of years ago and you know how that goes, lost job, bad credit AND the biggie, an EVICTION, checking him saw "FORCIBLE ENTRY/DETAINER", if I'm incorrect on this one let me know but from checking the net seems like he was evicted and he wouldn't leave.  Monday I'll call up the lady/place and double check.  

My options: just let him go (which is probably what I will do) but I was thinking, he's not going thru the financial problems he was going thru before, if I can have him put into escrow 2 months rent that would go toward unpaid rent (assuming it's legal, kind of the time it would take me to evict him if somehow it got that point), apart from the first,last,deposit, would you guys ever consider that? 

0Reply
29 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Investor · Grand Junction, IA · Member since 2014 · 81 posts · 51 votes
11y

If his income and everything else checks out, he's had a steady job, What does his credit say about how he handles his financials.  Are his credit cards maxed out?  find out the details you can about the eviction, also find out his end of the story.  

  See if they match up or if he lies.  Test his character, find out if he blames everyone else or if he accepts responsibility and feels he made a mistake, If your state allows get a larger deposit and first/last months rent.

Or just pass. :) 

See this reply in the discussion

28 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Principal · Charlotte, NC · Member since 2010 · 200 posts · 89 votes
    11y

    I agree... if you dont have other options.. take big deposit. 

    Honestly i have never evicted a tenant that had a double deposit on file. Once that big deposit goes in they are motivated to make it work and give proper notice if they are leaving.   

  • FL · Member since 2009 · 2k+ posts · 357 votes
    11y

    @Roy Gutierrez,

    I'll summon @Aly W. for you.

    Also:

    To Make the @ work do the following:

    Hold down the shift key and type the following: @?

    Look below this Window, and you will see a list of list of names of people who have posted in this thread.

    Click on the name of the person that you want notified via an email that you responded to them.

    If you are a Colleague with anyone that has not posted in this thread, and you want them to see your post, hold down the shift key, and type the @ and the first 4 letters of the first or last name.

    Look below this Window, and click on your Colleague's name.

    They will be notified via an email about your post in this thread.

    Raymond

  • Investor · Middletown, NJ · Member since 2008 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    11y

    Thanks @Raymond B. , got it! @Roy Gutierrez yes we are :)

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.