• Investor
  • Northbrook, IL
Votes |
How much should i fix on a rental property

Jon Swift
  • Investor
  • Northbrook, IL
Posted Mar 8 2015, 08:08

I'm planning to buy a new house to live in and rent out my current house. My current house is in pretty good shape but does need some stuff repaired and i'm wondering what needs to be fixed before i rent and what can wait until later. 

Here's a list of some of the stuff i'm thinking needs to be fixed before i rent but i'd like the forums opinion. 

-Windows. Currently most of the windows in the house are ok but 2 windows are rotted and wont open. The windows are in two different bedrooms, one in each bedroom, and each bedroom still has a window that opens. 

-Circuit breaker box. When we remodeled our kitchen the placement of the breaker box put it on the side of where the fridge goes, so whenever we blow a breaker we have to pull the fridge out get to the box. The box needs to be flipped so it would be on the other side of the wall. 

-Small crack in tub liner. I dont know if i need a new tub liner or if i cut just use epoxy to fix the crack. 

-Gutter. We have pvc gutters that are horrible and clog all the time so they over flow. Can i have the tenant clean them regularly or would it be better to just get gutter guards or new gutters?

I know it's not a huge list and there's probably a bunch of small stuff i could add but these are the main things. I'm pretty sure i have to move the breaker box but can the other stuff wait or should it all be fixed first?

Loading replies...