Wood floors in rental?

Wood floors in rental?

Huntington Beach, CA · Member since 2014 · 105 posts · 23 votes

Does it make sense to put in wood flooring in a rental?

When my current tenant moves out, I know the carpet will need to be replaced. 

Normally, I wouldn't even consider installing wood flooring to replace the carpet because of their vulnerability to damage by the tenants. But, I noticed that a number of the comps are using wood floors which is making me reconsider my stance. 

There's tile in the most trafficked areas in the kitchen and adjoining dining room which is where you enter. And, there's carpeting in the upstairs bedrooms, stairs, and for a living room downstairs.

If I put wood flooring in those areas where the carpet is right now, would I still need to worry about damages to the wood floors since those are the less trafficked areas? 

And, how much wood flooring would I need to put in to to increase the marketing and appeal of the property? If I put in wood flooring in just that downstairs living room and kept the carpeting upstairs, I wouldn't be able to still market it as wood floors? Just saying that it only has wood floor sounds awkward. 

0Reply
174 views

Most Popular Reply

Professional · Noblesville, IN · Member since 2014 · 222 posts · 66 votes
11y

I'd recommend laminate in lower end and hardwood if higher end.  Carpet is a thing of the past in my book.  Tired of filling landfills!

See this reply in the discussion

28 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Tx, GA · Member since 2019 · 313 posts · 337 votes
    6y

    A level rentals in Texas... What say you about hardwood? I so want to do higher grade LVT on top of the existing floors (top of the line Shaw or Porcelanosa, which are $4-6 sq ft) but agent is saying engineered wood or hardwood is timeless. But this is for a rental, albeit high end, and I have seen how engineered looks after 10 years in RENTALS.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.