Wood floors in rental?

Wood floors in rental?

Huntington Beach, CA · Member since 2014 · 105 posts · 23 votes

Does it make sense to put in wood flooring in a rental?

When my current tenant moves out, I know the carpet will need to be replaced. 

Normally, I wouldn't even consider installing wood flooring to replace the carpet because of their vulnerability to damage by the tenants. But, I noticed that a number of the comps are using wood floors which is making me reconsider my stance. 

There's tile in the most trafficked areas in the kitchen and adjoining dining room which is where you enter. And, there's carpeting in the upstairs bedrooms, stairs, and for a living room downstairs.

If I put wood flooring in those areas where the carpet is right now, would I still need to worry about damages to the wood floors since those are the less trafficked areas? 

And, how much wood flooring would I need to put in to to increase the marketing and appeal of the property? If I put in wood flooring in just that downstairs living room and kept the carpeting upstairs, I wouldn't be able to still market it as wood floors? Just saying that it only has wood floor sounds awkward. 

0Reply
162 views

Most Popular Reply

Professional · Noblesville, IN · Member since 2014 · 222 posts · 66 votes
11y

I'd recommend laminate in lower end and hardwood if higher end.  Carpet is a thing of the past in my book.  Tired of filling landfills!

See this reply in the discussion

28 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Saint Johns, FL · Member since 2015 · 141 posts · 100 votes
    11y

    I think it depends what type of wood flooring you're considering. I think hardwood floor is not a great option since it can get damaged/dented/scratched easily and also pretty expensive. It also depends on what type of clientele you're renting your house. 

    I had carpet in all my rentals (bedrooms, living rooms) and simply got tired of people trashing them. I decided to put in laminate flooring in all of them and so far so good. I bought the flooring in Home Depot and installed the least expensive underlayment. Laminate is pretty durable in general, as long as it is not exposed to moisture. Note that my rentals are in the CA Central Valley, so my clientele is working class people with less income.

  • Professional · Noblesville, IN · Member since 2014 · 222 posts · 66 votes
    11y

    I'd recommend laminate in lower end and hardwood if higher end.  Carpet is a thing of the past in my book.  Tired of filling landfills!

  • Herndon, VA · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 324 votes
    11y

    If it matches the competition hardwood in the dining room is a good option.  I wouldn't redo carpet in the dining room, I would do laminate if hardwood is too pricey.  Tile with a wood appearance might be another option.

    How long does your carpet typically last in the bedrooms?  I would consider replacing carpet in bedrooms if it lasts long enough.  If it is getting trashed all the time, then hardwood/laminate depending on price point probably is the way to go.  If you can't go all hardwood, the dining room and master bedroom would be my priorities.

  • Real Estate Agent · Southington, CT · Member since 2008 · 5k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    11y

    It would be easier to answer this question if we knew the type of area you are looking to fill the rental in.

    Will prospective tenants think it is strange if you have a mid-grade laminate instead of real hardwood?  If not, I would say go with the cleanest looking option that makes sense cost wise.  You do not want to over improve for the area your home is in.

  • Investor/Realtor · Hoover, AL · Member since 2010 · 1k+ posts · 459 votes
    11y

    Laminate works in mid range rental.  I upgraded in living/dining.  Most older homes in my area include hardwood so, I always redo when feasible...light sand/stain/poly..

  • Investor · Watertown, MA · Member since 2015 · 19 posts · 2 votes
    11y

    I agree that laminate is a good alternative to hardwood and depending on what quality you get it can be more durable.  I highly recommend either laminate or hardwood over carpet particularly if comps in the area are going in that direction.  You can also potentially get more for rental income and can potentially increase the value of your property. 

    Of course I don't know the size of the space you'd be looking to cover with the HW/Laminate, but if you decide to go the pro installation route, you should be able to find someone that will charge you on a per SF basis for the install, and then additional for the thresholds (room dividers like between the tile and laminate).  At least in Boston I can find these types of pros. For a ballpark sense of cost I pay about $1.75/SF for installation and another $45-75 per threshold depending on the size.  They will also charge separately for carpet removal and disposal.  I buy the laminate and sub-floor/padding myself and drop it at the site and he goes to work.  You can get a decent laminate (there are sales all of the time at big box stores and smaller mom and pops) for $2/SF and sometimes even less.  Your market might differ from the Boston area but just to get grounded in what is possible from a cost stand point, Boston is usually at or near the top of the market from a cost stand point.

    Additionally, if you are thinking of DIY, it's doable.  I have done one installation solo and another with someone else.  It's a lot easier to have two people, one cutting and one laying the floor.  I would recommend going with a better quality laminate particularly if you are DIY'ing with a click and lock type of product, it will make your life a lot easier.

    Let me know if you have any other questions.

    Steve

  • Specialist · Toronto, Ontario · Member since 2012 · 2k+ posts · 891 votes
    11y

    If Class A I would go for engineered hardwood. Good bang for buck.. any other class laminate is very affordable and is better than carpet. replacing carpet all the time is pricey. Laminate can absorb a lot of scratchs and cost just as much as carpet but a bit more labor to install. I have been using laminate with my rentals and when someone moves out it is still good for the next tenant.. a few dings but you can replace by the piece..

  • Huntington Beach, CA · Member since 2014 · 105 posts · 23 votes
    11y

    Its Class A-ish. Good location with views and some updates to the bathroom, although the kitchen needs work. 

    When the carpet goes, I know that I'll go either with  engineered hardwood or laminate. 

    But, I'm just concerned about the tenant damaging or scratching the hardwood floors. 

    The carpet in the living room downstairs needs to be replaced, but I don't know about the condition of the carpet upstairs. They still might be fine. 

    I know laminate or hardwood is popular for the common spaces, but what's popular for the bedrooms- hardwood/laminate or carpet?

  • Rental Property Investor · Johnstown, CO · Member since 2015 · 119 posts · 78 votes
    11y

    Same as most others on this... tile and laminate in my rentals. Tired of replacing carpet.

  • Real Estate Agent · Buford, GA · Member since 2014 · 21 posts · 9 votes
    11y

    If you absolutely are against hard wood floors but hate having to replace carpet , you could always consider using carpet tiles. An ingenious way to repair heavy traffic areas with out having to do the entire space. 

  • Bedford, NH · Member since 2012 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    11y

    I use real, nailed-in-place, 3/4" hardwood in my 3 SFRs, that most people would probably consider B/B+.

    Hardwood floors can last, under reasonably hard wear, for decades.  If you keep up with them (periodic screen and recoat) they are very much price-competitive with any other option, and are a higher quality option that does get houses filled faster.

    If your comps are going to hardwood, they are no longer comps if you are using one of the lower-end alternatives.

    I wouldn't think twice, for an 'A' level rental.

  • Rental Property Investor · Golden, CO · Member since 2014 · 136 posts · 65 votes
    11y

    Something I'd consider, but haven't done, is to install a cabin grade wood and face nail the boards.  This only works if you can accept a very rustic look, but I always thought that cabin grade is cheap (but requires extra labor for install and cutting tongues off) and to replace boards for damage would be easier than traditional wood.

    Just a thought.. With the look of older floors being in demand these days, it could be a selling point for your buyers and minimize your maintenance in the future.

  • Investor · New York, NY · Member since 2008 · 169 posts · 73 votes
    11y

    For A areas, I would go hardwood.

    They last for a long time and can be re-finished multiple times. With engineered, they can only be re-finished a few times before you will have to replace them because they are just layers and not solid wood.

    Hardwoods are a longer term investment - better for allergy sufferers and definitely elevates the property, adds value.

    In our own apartment (built in the 1930s) we still have the original oak hardwoods. We re-finished them and they are still solid and beautiful.

    You can be more cost effective with hardwood if you get the narrower red oak, then finish them yourself or have a sub do it.

    For bedrooms - I see a lot of carpet (invest in the pad). But when the time comes to replace the carpet in our properties, I will opt for hardwood instead.

  • Huntington Beach, CA · Member since 2014 · 105 posts · 23 votes
    11y

    I went to various flooring places, and they all recommended against using hardwood floors. 

    I was testing some of those hardwoods with my key, and they scratch pretty easily whereas I couldn't do that to the laminates. 

    Even if you have a class A, nicer property, how do you deal with hardwood floors when they're easily scratched? Do you just accept those scratches?

    Yes, you can re-finish wood floors but if you did that after each tenant, you wouldn't have any wood left to refinish after a couple of tenants. 

  • Investor · Rosebud, AR · Member since 2014 · 133 posts · 49 votes
    11y

    laminate is out for me.  I just had a laminate floor trashed by a lady and a wet mop.  have went to ceramic tile everyplace but bedrooms and carpet in bedrooms. will see how this works.  I now have printed out "care for laminate flooring instructions "for renters and we go over it when they move in.

     Also just purchased another rehab tearing out the laminate damaged with water looks like they kept dogs in the bedroom.  I feel like they can buy and take there area rugs with them when they leave.  

    I am considering the new wood looking ceramics showing up in my area. 

  • Investor · New York, NY · Member since 2008 · 169 posts · 73 votes
    11y

    @Josh L.

    If scratched, you (or a wood flooring expert) can buff it out, no need to re-finish due to a few scratches. 

    If the property is A and the comps have wood floors and you want to stay competitive, you really might want to consider hardwoods. Again, you can get the more affordable ones that you stain yourself. 

    Costs for replacing carpet and pad every few years add up...with hardwoods, they will cost more upfront, but will last for a long, long time.

  • Investor · Ashland, KY · Member since 2014 · 77 posts · 12 votes
    11y

    I have put down 3 1/4in x 3/4in natural color Hickory in a SFR. Love it. I've beat it with a hammer when I was installing it and couldn't dent or mar it. They have two English Bulldogs, not a scratch anywhere. I think I paid $2.25 a sqft for cabin grade. Worth every penny no matter the market in my opinion. DIY friendly, good price, can be refinished, adds value, cleans up easily.

  • Huntington Beach, CA · Member since 2014 · 105 posts · 23 votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @Account Closed:

    @Josh L.

    If scratched, you (or a wood flooring expert) can buff it out, no need to re-finish due to a few scratches. 

    If the property is A and the comps have wood floors and you want to stay competitive, you really might want to consider hardwoods. Again, you can get the more affordable ones that you stain yourself. 

    Costs for replacing carpet and pad every few years add up...with hardwoods, they will cost more upfront, but will last for a long, long time.

     Do you have any pictures of how effective buffing out the scratches would be?

    How much would it cost a wood flooring expert to do it?

    Could you buff out scratches for both engineered and hardwood flooring?

  • Investor · New York, NY · Member since 2008 · 169 posts · 73 votes
    11y

    @Josh L.

    Do you have any pictures of how effective buffing out the scratches would be?

    Good question, I don't have any personal pictures, but I should take more after pics from now on.

    How much would it cost a wood flooring expert to do it?

    This would depend on who you hire and what labor costs are in your location. Call a few places and ask around. In CA, maybe budget for around $2/sq ft, to be safe?

    Could you buff out scratches for both engineered and hardwood flooring?

    Yes

  • Real Estate Investor · Audubon, PA · Member since 2009 · 13k+ posts · 8k+ votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @Josh L.:

    ...

    When the carpet goes, I know that I'll go either with  engineered hardwood or laminate. 

    But, I'm just concerned about the tenant damaging or scratching the hardwood floors. 

    ...

    I know laminate or hardwood is popular for the common spaces, but what's popular for the bedrooms- hardwood/laminate or carpet?

    Well, if they are doing things that will scratch or ding hardwood, then those same things will scratch or ding engineered wood and laminates too. Hardwood can be refinished if it gets serious damage, whereas refinishing engineered wood and laminate is not really feasible; those would require either replacement of the damaged sections or complete replacement, and if you just replace a section it will be hard to get a perfect match even if from the same batch since exposure to sun will lead to some fading over time. So hardwood can be more cost effective over time based on what you posted as your concern. 

    For bedrooms, I have done both hardwood and carpet. Sometimes carpet is done due to limits on initial budget. Sometimes carpet is what the rentals nearby are offering, so it is a match to the comps. Figure out budget and comps, and let those guide your choice on bedroom flooring. 

  • Huntington Beach, CA · Member since 2014 · 105 posts · 23 votes
    11y

    I'm looking at pics of current comps, and it looks like some have hardwood flooring or something that looks like it. But, in their ads, they don't mention hardwood.

    In those cases, do I assume its not really hardwood? If I had hardwoods, I'd emphatically market that in my advertising. 

  • Bedford, NH · Member since 2012 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    11y

    Go see them and find out.

    But I think you might "emphatically market that in your advertising" because you think it is rarer or less expected than it actually is.

    Floor covering preferences vary significantly by region.  I'd love to get away with tile everywhere like you see in parts of the South and West.  But that would never fly here.  

    I'm not going to try to talk you into hardwood, it's your rental.  But I would caution you that if the comps you are using to determine your rent price have hardwood and you have carpet or laminate, you had better cut your price to below those comps, because they are not truly comps.

    People are strange.  They won't pay any sort of premium for amenities above the standard of the neighborhood, but absolutely expect and demand a discount for anything below the standard of the neighborhood.  Because they can.  That is why people always say to see what the comps look like.

    As discussed above, for an A level rental in coastal California, I wouldn't even hesitate to install real wood flooring.

  • Property Manager · Rochester, NY · Member since 2015 · 243 posts · 62 votes
    11y

    depends on situations I generally have the floors re stained if their already hardwoods

  • Involved In Real Estate · Brookline, MA · Member since 2015 · 75 posts · 11 votes
    11y

    Carpet sucks. Just write into the addendum that they have to have area rugs/runner carpets over 75% of the floor area.

  • Investor · New Midway, MD · Member since 2015 · 36 posts · 20 votes
    11y

    I noticed in one of your earlier posts, you  mentioned using engineered hardwood, I have those in my home and I would never use it in a rental as from my experience they scratch and chip much easier as the wood is a lot thinner and you cannot refinish them when needed. I would go with a good thick hardwood or a high quality laminate, depending on what your comps are showing.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.