Screening Tenants with no SS# or email address

Screening Tenants with no SS# or email address

Investor · Arlington, TN · Member since 2014 · 26 posts · 10 votes

I signed up here on BP to do the tenant screening through TransUnion Smart Move. However, the application asks for the applicant's email address.  Since the tenant didn't provide one, I put my own in the blank, thinking that I could forward it to them when they gave it to me... but cancelled the screening prior to doing anything, (this is the first time I've used this).  Basically the link that came to me wanted me (actually the applicant) to create an account.  My prospective tenant gave me their SS# so I was just going to fill out the form, etc. to get the screen done.  

So, is there another way to do the screening since the applicant doesn't do email or internet? Something perhaps other than Smart Move? 

0Reply
22 views

3 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Michele FischerPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Seattle, WA · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    11y

    Janne, the e-mail screening services have not worked for us, we do it old school.  We found a cheap option with our state real estate group where they have a standard application and we scan it in to them.  You might want to explore this option.  Before we found that, we were using www.aaacredit.net and were pleased with them.  We were able to use our own application with them.

  • Urbana, IL · Member since 2012 · 1k+ posts · 425 votes
    11y

    There should be plenty of services out there that don't require an email. The system that BP is part of is a different type of service. Most rental applications require a fee of $25-$50. Some tenants don't trust that you're aren't charging more than the actual application and you're pocketing the profit. Some applicants also might not feel comfortable with you seeing their backround entirely. I may be wrong, but I believe the service on BP circumvents these concerns. Instead, the applicant creates an account, they pay the fee that goes to the website knowing there isn't any pocketed profit, and they see their report but the landlord doesn't. Instead, the landlord receives a 'yes they fit your criteria' or 'no they don't match your criteria'

  • San Jose, CA · Member since 2015 · 4k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    11y

    Depending on your tenant pool, you might want to tell applicants that they must have an email address.  I had a couple of old tenants who didn't have text or email, and it was a pain, honestly.  I inherited them, but if I was to ever manage again, and unless there were no tenants in my area who could text or email, I'd just say it was a requirement.  There would be no fair housing issue, and it's just so much easier to deal with tech savvy tenants.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.