Investor · Middletown, NJ · Member since 2008 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
I've been telling prospective applicants the street and cross street of my rental house, so they can check out the area and then call back if they want an appointment.
Two callers today got belligerent when I wouldn't give them the actual address. The house is vacant (no rental sign in the window either). I can only show it on the weekends and am trying to cut down on no shows by telling them to drive through the area first.
Do you give all callers the address right away, or only if they call back to say they still want an appointment?
Investor · Middletown, NJ · Member since 2008 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
18y
My Craigslist ad has the street and cross street, with a link to Google maps. I also have an ad in the local newspaper which has generated a lot of calls. Plus a few rental assistance sites where I list the street.
I've scheduled all previous appointments within the same hour on a day when I'll be there anyway. Confirmed with them the day before, and still have only had no-shows.
Eudora, KS · Member since 2008 · 45 posts · 5 votes
18y
I gave up on Craigslist, way too many no-shows. I have found putting a "INFO TUBE" on the "For Rent" sign works much better. That way I don't have to describe the property and explain the screening process to every caller. They're only $10 at homedepot and you can make copy's of your info sheet at most grocery stores for 5-10 cents a piece. You'll waste that much in gas with just 2 no-shows.
Real Estate Investor · AZ · Member since 2008 · 58 posts · 1 vote
18y
When a prospective tenant calls you can chat for a few minutes to determine if it is a good fit for you and them.Once you describe the property, the rent & deposit requirements and any qualifications that need to be met (credit, pets, lease term) be sure and ask if all this meets their needs (and yours).
If yes, absolutely give them the full address so they can drive by or go ahead and schedule an appointment to show it.
If they say it doesn't meet their needs then no need for them to have the address.
Be sure you have their phone number and call to confirm before you head out.
I have had success with Craigs List, sign drive bys, newspaper, MLS.
Communication is the key!
Investor · Middletown, NJ · Member since 2008 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
18y
Thanks everyone. I do the phone screening with a list of questions for prospective applicants. I also confirm with them the day before the appointment. All have confirmed...yet only 1 called the next day to cancel. The rest were no shows.
I've had far more qualified-sounding leads from my ad in the local paper than from Craigslist.
Because the house is vacant, I'm hesitant to use For Rent signs or the Info Tubes, which do sound like a great idea by the way.
Rental Property Investor · Mercer Island, WA · Member since 2008 · 22k+ posts · 14k+ votes
18y
I'd have to say most houses with for-rent signs in front of them are vacant. I think the infotubes are a great idea. Most callers just want to know the basic facts, rent, deposit, beds, baths, etc. If you've had the ads in place for more than a week, I'd really recommend getting a sign out there. My call volume tripled when I put a sign up.
Real Estate Investor · San Jose, CA · Member since 2008 · 228 posts · 13 votes
18y
I use Craigslist and put actual address. I always ask if they driven by the property first. I noticed, ever since adding curb appeal to the property, this can be as simple as having green grass and nicely manicure, I been getting less no shows.
Investor · Middletown, NJ · Member since 2008 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
18y
Ok, I'm convinced. I'll put a sign and Info Tube up this weekend. The house does have curb appeal, with a newly painted front door, new mailbox, new carriage lamp, and when I'm there, 2 petunias on the porch :D
Asheville, NC · Member since 2008 · 107 posts · 10 votes
18y
Bartstop-
Thanks for sharing your flyer, very helpful! :D
Originally posted by "Bartstop":
I gave up on Craigslist, way too many no-shows. I have found putting a "INFO TUBE" on the "For Rent" sign works much better. That way I don't have to describe the property and explain the screening process to every caller. They're only $10 at homedepot and you can make copy's of your info sheet at most grocery stores for 5-10 cents a piece. You'll waste that much in gas with just 2 no-shows.