Insuring SW Florida Rentals: What Is The Best Move?

Insuring SW Florida Rentals: What Is The Best Move?

Real Estate Broker · Naples, FL · Member since 2013 · 9k+ posts · 6k+ votes

Anyone that lives on the coast knows the issues with insurance. In many cases it can be expensive. My current insurance carrier is proposing the following deductibles with pricing.

 $5000 Deductible & 5% Hurricane Deductible $1011.00
 $2500 Deductible & 10% Hurricane Deductible $920.00
 $5000 Deductible & 10% Hurricane Deductible $900.00

The house is 1413 SF built in 1988. CBS. Will need a new roof in probably 5 years. Not located in a flood zone. 

Which would you choose and why?

0Reply
20 views

2 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Pawleys Island, SC · Member since 2015 · 324 posts · 385 votes
    11y

    Disclaimer: my opinion only.

    A or B.  

    I would not choose C as you can cut your deductible (liability) in half for only $20 more per year.

    A or B would depend on a lot. I would ask myself. Can I afford to pay an additional 5% of damages in case of a hurricane?  How likely is it that the home could be destroyed by hurricane?

    I know how you feel. I purchased property insurance yesterday. I went through the same debates exception I live too far inland to worry about hurricanes.  

  • Real Estate Investor · Lake Worth, FL · Member since 2009 · 263 posts · 92 votes
    11y

    I would need some additional information.
    You posted in the Landlord/Rental section and you didn't mention the liability coverage amount.  Have you had a recent Windstorm mitigation survey performed?  In general the insurer wants a recent survey to consider it for a deduction on your insurance.
    Do you have wind mitigation devices for the dwelling?
    Lastly are there any potential hazards that could increase the impact of windstorm damage to the property?

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.