How to spot a freak...

How to spot a freak...

Real Estate Investor · OH · Member since 2008 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes

I've had two potential freaks apply for my rentals in just the past week. One was a guy that wanted to rent a place "immediately" (always a red flag) because he discovered "black mold" in a house he was buying and is planning to sue the previous owner. I don't know about everyone else, but if I discovered mold in my house (or one of my rentals), I WOULD (DO) CLEAN IT UP!

The other potential freak was a woman who looked at one of my one-bedroom houses. After walking through the house, she said that it wasn't acceptable to her because she needed more natural light. This house has at least two 36 X 72 inch windows in EVERY ROOM! She wanted to know if I had anything with more light. My reply: "like a fishbowl"? Are you kidding me?

Needless to say, I wouldn't rent to either of these people. The last thing I need is some wacko living in my rentals that see "black mold" everywhere or needs more light.

I also won't rent to people with words tattooed on their fingers (one guy had K I L L tattooed on his fingers) or people with tattooes on their face.

What kind of freaks show up at YOUR rentals?

Mike

0Reply
91 views

28 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Member since 2008 · 77 posts · 0 votes
    18y

    Hmm, if you guys saw me you'd probably think I was a freak - I have tatoos / piercings, etc. Although I don't normally go out with them all visible to meet my new landlord / employer, etc :)

    The gang comments are pretty scary. Not far from here a young couple was murdered by some new chinese gang - we don't have much gang activity round here compared to the USA, but now it does seem they're everywhere :(

  • Property Manager · Passaic, NJ · Member since 2008 · 369 posts · 83 votes
    18y

    Yrs back I rented to a single woman, mid-fifties. She seemed nice - came with her daughter - they loved the apt - ground floor unit - perfect for mom suffering from emphyzema.

    Took only a few months to learn that she was a drunk and a former go-go dancer. She decided one day to hang out in the courtyard in a drunk stupor and let the teenagers admire her fake boobs!!! I never heard the end of that one. I even had the police haul her off. She was so well known to everyone except ME that the cops drove her around for about an hour and then dropped her off a block from the apt. Even the cops knew her well. Go figure.

    Once I did actually lock her out the woman came back in a drunk stupor again and busted all my windows. I had to board up the place for a while until she thankfully disappeared for good.

  • Real Estate Investor · Tulsa, OK · Member since 2008 · 37 posts · 0 votes
    18y
    Originally posted by Michael Rossi:
    I've had two potential freaks apply for my rentals in just the past week. One was a guy that wanted to rent a place "immediately" (always a red flag) because he discovered "black mold" in a house he was buying and is planning to sue the previous owner. I don't know about everyone else, but if I discovered mold in my house (or one of my rentals), I WOULD (DO) CLEAN IT UP!

    The other potential freak was a woman who looked at one of my one-bedroom houses. After walking through the house, she said that it wasn't acceptable to her because she needed more natural light. This house has at least two 36 X 72 inch windows in EVERY ROOM! She wanted to know if I had anything with more light. My reply: "like a fishbowl"? Are you kidding me?

    Needless to say, I wouldn't rent to either of these people. The last thing I need is some wacko living in my rentals that see "black mold" everywhere or needs more light.

    I also won't rent to people with words tattooed on their fingers (one guy had K I L L tattooed on his fingers) or people with tattooes on their face.

    What kind of freaks show up at YOUR rentals?

    Mike

    Wow, I'm glad to see someone with my temperment doing well in this business.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.