How to spot a freak...

How to spot a freak...

Real Estate Investor · OH · Member since 2008 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes

I've had two potential freaks apply for my rentals in just the past week. One was a guy that wanted to rent a place "immediately" (always a red flag) because he discovered "black mold" in a house he was buying and is planning to sue the previous owner. I don't know about everyone else, but if I discovered mold in my house (or one of my rentals), I WOULD (DO) CLEAN IT UP!

The other potential freak was a woman who looked at one of my one-bedroom houses. After walking through the house, she said that it wasn't acceptable to her because she needed more natural light. This house has at least two 36 X 72 inch windows in EVERY ROOM! She wanted to know if I had anything with more light. My reply: "like a fishbowl"? Are you kidding me?

Needless to say, I wouldn't rent to either of these people. The last thing I need is some wacko living in my rentals that see "black mold" everywhere or needs more light.

I also won't rent to people with words tattooed on their fingers (one guy had K I L L tattooed on his fingers) or people with tattooes on their face.

What kind of freaks show up at YOUR rentals?

Mike

0Reply
90 views

28 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Investor · OH · Member since 2008 · 1k+ posts · 86 votes
    18y

    "Fishbowl" I love it.

    Recently I had a nice woman show up. She looked around, love the place. She was leaving a 15 yr relationship and needed a place. After a few questions about her monthly income, she told me that she does home day care, 2 shifts, 8 kids per shift. I told her, I could not rent to her and most likely she would have a very hard time finding any place to rent.

    I also had a nice old man come through with his wife. They understood that the rent was $550 a month + utilities. They wanted to fill out an application. After they filled it out, I noticed their monthly income was $630 a month from SSI. I asked how he thought he was going to be able to pay the rent on top of everything else and he said not to worry, he would find the money.

    Had a nice couple contact me and had to see the house right away. They showed up in a new SUV, as I talked to them outside, I found out that he worked at a factory making $17 per hr and she worked right up the road at the hospital as a nurse making $21 dollars an hr. As they both walk in the house, she curled up her nose and folded her arms. I could tell this was not the place for them. They both had a major attitude from the start. Maybe the fact that I was in my work clothes and all sweaty. Not sure what they were expecting for $550 a month, but it is actually a very nice home.

    Had another couple come in extremely friendly. As soon as I saw the women, I knew we were going to have a problem. She was around 400lbs. The house has a small full bath up stairs and a shower and toilet in the basement. As soon as she saw the upstairs bath, I could tell it was a no go. I don't believe she could have sat on the toilet without her butt scraping the vanity. I didn't think of that when I put the vanity in.. I'll have to remember that during the next rehab.

    Not really any freaks, just some space cadets. I usually get the freaks during rehab, stopping by wanting to tell me their life story.

  • Investor · Middletown, NJ · Member since 2008 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    18y

    Sounds like she was looking to grow something in that house :wink:

  • Rental Property Investor · Mercer Island, WA · Member since 2008 · 22k+ posts · 14k+ votes
    18y

    Those guys use lights.

    I had one batch of people show up, and more and more just kept coming. I though they were separate groups, but turned out they were all together. They took six applications, and it wasn't clear that was all the adults. Not to mention the kids. This was a 3BR, 900 sq.ft. house.

  • Real Estate Coach · Oakton, VA · Member since 2008 · 695 posts · 43 votes
    18y

    I've had high maintenance folks that made comments about every little thing about the house (and this was a good looking rental). The last person I ever want in my property is someone that is going to be high maintenance and call me all the the time....my motto is no high maintenance girlfriends or tenants.

  • Real Estate Investor · North Carolina · Member since 2008 · 1k+ posts · 483 votes
    18y

    So the three of them come into my house, two guys and a gal. She's nice, he's nice, but the one other guy kinda scuttles around against the walls, trying to stay in the shadows.

    They love my place! Absolutely love it! Want to move in right now! This gal whips out a fistfull of hundreds and volunteers to pay six months rent right now in cash!!!

    I explain my application process, including criminal background check. Geeeee, she says. Me and my boyfriend are good for it, but my brother just got out for second degree murder. But he was innocent!!! And we'll pay you six months CASH!!!!!

    You have never seen a more polite feller than me, as I (wondering where Mr. Murderer was lurking in the shadows) as I babbled something to the effect that my insurance company probably wouldn't approve, or some such nonsense.

    BuhBye!

  • Real Estate Investor · OH · Member since 2008 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    18y

    That's why I never work without my handgun!

    Mike

  • Lender · Phoenix, AZ · Member since 2008 · 351 posts · 40 votes
    18y

    Do a lot of landlords carry guns? I would obviously want to protect myself to be safe, but is a gun a common weapon for a landlord? I figured a knife would be good enough... haha (I am a newbie)

  • Jeff TumbarelloPro Member
    Real Estate Broker · Fort Myers, FL · Member since 2008 · 1k+ posts · 323 votes
    18y
    Originally posted by Matt Du Sold:
    Do a lot of landlords carry guns? I would obviously want to protect myself to be safe, but is a gun a common weapon for a landlord? I figured a knife would be good enough... haha (I am a newbie)



    Dont bring a knife to a gunfight :idea:
  • Member since 2008 · 26 posts · 0 votes
    18y

    I had one guy come in 10 minutes late......flies up in a late model benz (wanting to rent a 2B/1B at $775/mo). The guy looks like hell, like he just got out of bed at 9 AM. First thing I see is a cigar, which he quickly places under his windshield wiper. Immediately I know it is a no go, but I have to be nice. Show him around quickly and take his app $$ and he tells me that he only smokes outside. Sure. C-Ya. At least I got a few bux for gas on that one.

    Luckily I held out and found a great tenant a few weeks later.

  • Real Estate Investor · North Carolina · Member since 2008 · 1k+ posts · 483 votes
    18y
    Originally posted by Matt Du Sold:
    Do a lot of landlords carry guns? I would obviously want to protect myself to be safe, but is a gun a common weapon for a landlord? I figured a knife would be good enough... haha (I am a newbie)


    There's a thread on that subject here. If I do any more low-income rehabs I'll be getting my concealed carry permit. Or if I have to go collect cash rent in those areas. Thankfully, my current low-income tenants are trained to get money orders and mail the rent to my PO box.

    But truth to tell I'll probably be getting my concealed carry anyway. If enough law-abiding citizens carried concealed firearms one of either two things would happen: 1) the criminals would go find easier targets (probably not, though, they're stupid), or 2) the criminals would become a 'dying' breed.

    As someone wiser than me said: "Better judged by 12 than carried by 6."

  • Investor · Bellefonte, PA · Member since 2008 · 1k+ posts · 88 votes
    18y

    I had a freak I screened on the phone. A current tenant had a friend who's brother was looking for an apartment and she asked if I could give him our number. I told her sure and gave her an app. Well he called and got our voice mail so I returned his call and got his voice mail.

    Now I love getting someone's voice mail. His message was "Hey thanks for calling, I might call you back, I might not, I don't know, who gives a f*#$, what's it matter any f(*&in way."

    I didn't leave a message.

    -Michael

  • Investor · Bellefonte, PA · Member since 2008 · 1k+ posts · 88 votes
    18y
    Originally posted by Jason Hanson :
    I've had high maintenance folks that made comments about every little thing about the house


    This is something I pay attention to now too. If they are nit picking everything as they walk around it's not a good thing.
  • Minneapolis, MN · Member since 2008 · 691 posts · 12 votes
    18y

    Jason mentioned high maintenance girlfriends. I have had several tenants who started out as single women, nice, good credit, decent job. Then a few days or weeks later a gangsta boyfriend show up and the parties and complaints started. Nothing but problems. Since then I really try to scrutinize those single gals - especially the ones with "colors" on their knuckles or elsewhere.

  • OR · Member since 2008 · 1k+ posts · 845 votes
    18y

    I rejected a couple who gave a false landlord. I got the real landlord's name and was told he'd shoot them on sight and taking them would be the worst mistake I ever make.

    So I reject for bad landlord reference, and get a very rude call back from his mother because I made the "kids" cry by rejecting him, and it wasn't his fault that he is a registered sex offender. The little girl just had vindictive parents. (Yikes!)

    This week, I see him on the news. He's wanted for assault with a deadly weapon and burglary. The police lost him in a high speed chase complete with a crash through someone's lving room.

    And here comes his mom, onto TV, to claim that he is a good person and just got a little bad advice. She sure hoped the police wouldn't hurt her son because he is a good person.

    And I am getting that "dodged a bullet" feeling.

  • Real Estate Investor · OH · Member since 2008 · 1k+ posts · 86 votes
    18y

    I had a very attractive female stop by when I was rehabbing. She was so nice and sweet, but the MS13 tat on her neck made me think otherwise.

  • Real Estate Investor · OH · Member since 2008 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    18y

    Now that's a little scary! Do you have a lot of gang problems in your area?

    Mike

  • Joshua D.Pro Member
    BiggerPockets Founder · HI · Member since 2008 · 16k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    18y

    YEOWWWWCH - SCARY!

  • Real Estate Investor · OH · Member since 2008 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    18y

    I guess we just have to hope that the gang initiation isn't to kill a landlord!

    Mike

  • Real Estate Investor · OH · Member since 2008 · 1k+ posts · 86 votes
    18y

    Actually no, we don't have much in the way of gang activity and we certainly don't have MS13 in the area, so she must have been from out of town. I guess it could have been from her younger days, but she looked to be in her early 20's, so....

  • Real Estate Investor · North Carolina · Member since 2008 · 1k+ posts · 483 votes
    18y

    The college town I live in has around 85,000 population.

    And the police have told me that _every_ major gang in the U.S. has a presence here.

  • Real Estate Agent · Circleville, OH · Member since 2008 · 633 posts · 488 votes
    18y

    MikeOH - It sounds like we have some of the same prospects for tennants!

    I rented to a couple for a YEAR that had required a window in every room for the home (surprisingly enough, I do have a rental with a window in every room).

  • Real Estate Professional · seattle, WA · Member since 2008 · 43 posts · 1 vote
    18y

    I just had a freakish weekend showing a house--the first applicant was a very attractive woman who worked for a cosmetic Surgery clinic -- she had obviously taken advantage of the employee discount--she had a very nice look and way about her- & her children were nice too--she was evasive about her credit -she said it wasn't "too good"----upon getting the screening back,the records showed she had undisclosed bankruptcy, recent eviction--she said that was her sister's eviction-- it was" just in her name", the LL name she gave me was not the property owner listed on the county records--"she said that was because of a divorce and he was hiding from his wife", the child support financial records to support her income I asked her to provide "couldn't be faxed because something was wrong with the fax machine at the clinic", and she had 30 recent collections as well as 4 new court judgements-- these were" just loans and things, so how does that affect me renting your house?" this was a financial freak--why do they even bother applying and paying the fee? Sometimes the worst freaks are the best looking ones .--no tattoos, but what a nightmare she would have been!

  • Investor · Bellefonte, PA · Member since 2008 · 1k+ posts · 88 votes
    18y

    That's the kind of stuff that should scare every landlord into doing a thorough background check. Just imagine if you didn't check her background out.

    YIKES!!!

    -Michael

  • Investor · Middletown, NJ · Member since 2008 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    18y

    I had a family recently call to see my rental. 7 people showed up and only 1 spoke English. They spent 20 minutes going through the house and then said the house was beautiful but the bedrooms were too small. Ok, fine.
    They stood around for another 5 minutes and repeated that they loved the house but the rooms were too small, then thanked me for my time and left.

    On my way home, they called to offer $100 less rent than what I was asking and they'd give me the deposit the next day. I told them no. They called back 10 minutes later and agreed to the full rent. I went back the next day to have them fill out applications. Again, 7 people showed up. Only 4 were going to be living there, 3 of whom were in the group. The 4th was MIA. Of those 3, only 2 had pay stubs and ID. The 3rd was disabled and couldn't work. Only the one who spoke English could fill out the 4 applications, although they were in Spanish. After an hour of translating, most of the apps were still incomplete. They said they would fax the remaining info the next day.

    2 days later, I called to see if they were still interested...and they said no! So maybe not freaks, but a freaky experience.

    Then there were the 2 other families that wanted to rent the property, but their previous landlords gave me horror stories about them. After I declined the app, one of them called me about 50 times in 2 days until I called her caseworker and then had her number blocked. THOSE were freaks!

  • Investor · Morgantown, WV · Member since 2008 · 207 posts · 33 votes
    18y

    funny story, I was renting a one bedroom a few years back and I was several hours away in school trying to find renters over the phone. I agreed to rent to a guy who seemed real nice and had a good job. Several weeks later after the guy paid me and moved in I drove by my old place and noticed an old Lincoln Continental in the drive with a personalized plate that said "freakshow" and A guy got out of the car who looked like a professional wrestler with long hair and tattoos, pretty intimidating....this was my new renter. He was actually a real soft hearted guy but only staid a few months and left.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.