Do you provide HVAC filters for your tenants?

Do you provide HVAC filters for your tenants?

Investor · Fleming Island, FL · Member since 2015 · 34 posts · 8 votes

I have a rental home with 3 HVAC units. I am thinking about providing the air filters for the tenants. I figure if they have them on hand, they will be more likely to change them. This home is more of an executive rental so not sure if it is necessary. I look forward to your input. 

0Reply
10 views

Most Popular Reply

Linda WeygantPro Member
Investor and CPA · Arvada, CO · Member since 2015 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
11y

I not only provide them, I change them out every 3 months.  To me, it's an issue of doing this small task in order to save myself lots of furnace repairs later.  

See this reply in the discussion

9 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • JD MartinBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Rock Star Extraordinaire · Northeast, TN · Member since 2015 · 10k+ posts · 16k+ votes
    11y

    I provide starter filters, usually a 3 pack. After that it is the tenant's responsibility.

    Skyline Properties
    View Page
  • Real Estate Investor · Saint Petersburg, FL · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 951 votes
    11y

     I provide the cheap Home Depot/Lowes ones that come in a 3 pack.   I'd rather pay for the cheap filters than deal with bigger issues like coil cleaning.  If the filters are there then there's a lot better chance that they will change them.   If they have to buy the filters expect them to run the unit on a dirty filter for 6-12 months, substantially reducing the life of your HVAC system. 

  • Greensboro, NC · Member since 2014 · 212 posts · 143 votes
    11y

    When you do a periodic inspection, check to make sure they are actually changing the filters. Otherwise, you'll find all of the new filters unused in a closet when they move out in 2 years. Ask me how I know.

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Allentown, PA · Member since 2011 · 1k+ posts · 701 votes
    11y

    @Joy Hardin

    Sounds like it's a higher end rental. I personally wouldn't expect those types of tenants to be changing the filter. If it is close by, perhaps offer to stop by once and awhile and change the filter. Would probably get you high marks and referrals. 

  • Linda WeygantPro Member
    Investor and CPA · Arvada, CO · Member since 2015 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    11y

    I not only provide them, I change them out every 3 months.  To me, it's an issue of doing this small task in order to save myself lots of furnace repairs later.  

  • Visalia-Fresno, CA · Member since 2009 · 1k+ posts · 863 votes
    11y
    Joy Hardin Personally a property like that I would put on a maint. agreement quarterly. Frank
  • Investor · Franklin, TN · Member since 2015 · 70 posts · 33 votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @Linda Weygant:

    I not only provide them, I change them out every 3 months.  To me, it's an issue of doing this small task in order to save myself lots of furnace repairs later.  

     This is what I do, and the more expensive pleated ones too. I learned the hard way on this, don't do the same. Good quality filters changed regularly, (you cannot count on a renter to do this), will save you thousands on HVAC repair.

  • Rental Property Investor · Durham, NC · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @Linda Weygant:

    I not only provide them, I change them out every 3 months.  To me, it's an issue of doing this small task in order to save myself lots of furnace repairs later.  

     Me too.  I buy them, and I usually install them.  No big deal for me, and it gives me a chance to briefly inspect the houses.

    I look at this as more of looking out for my best interests, rather than "doing something the tenant should do."

  • Real Estate Investor · Tempe, AZ · Member since 2012 · 874 posts · 648 votes
    11y

    I buy them and deliver them to the house. For our first tenant, I was coming in to install them every three months. It was a good way to check on the condition of the house and do some needed maintenance. After a while he said, "don't worry about installing them,we'll take care of it."  There was enough trust at that point that I was fine with it, and they did take care of it. In other units, I continued to deliver and install them. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.