The Top 5 Landlord Mistakes

The Top 5 Landlord Mistakes

Joshua D.Pro Member
BiggerPockets Founder · HI · Member since 2008 · 16k+ posts · 5k+ votes

I'm looking to see if we could compile a list of the top 5 mistakes made by landlords. I'll throw out a few and hopefully we can come to some kind of consensus.

Note - to all who participate, we're going to give you all a plug in an upcoming blog post on the subject. Thanks in advance!

My Short List:
- Overpaying up front - paying too much for the property, resulting in diminished cash-flow
- Failure to understand financial management of a property
- Leniency - not going after late paying tenants immediately
- Failure to address problems with your rental units ASAP. Small problems often explode into huge ones when ignored.
- Overcharging / undercharging rent

Add your own or expand upon this list and we'll start to narrow things down to a list of 5 (10 if we must).

26Reply
652 views

Most Popular Reply

Indianapolis, IN · Member since 2008 · 759 posts · 185 votes
17y

1. Not Putting a Dollar Value on Your TIme

One example is this: If you have over 4 properties, my advice is to hire a good management company. One of the biggest mistakes I see investors make is that they try and do everything for themselves. Spending hours marketing, showing properties and doing handy work to save a few hundred dollars. Your time is worth money, and you need to figure out that equation for yourself. I would rather play with my kids on Saturday than snake a toilet to save $200.

2. Not being in Touch with Reality

We see too many Investors trying to sell properties based on false rent rates and/or showing higher cash flow than what will really happen. In return, we see too many buyers fall for it over and over again. I know, as folks come to me often to clean up their mess!!!!

I can show investors cheap properties in sub par neighborhoods with $500 a month cash flow too, on paper! However, collecting the rent in the real world is a different story!!!

Our focus is to buy and sell in neighborhoods where we have the odds of collecting rent in our favor. We might only cash flow $150 to $200 a property, but we actually get the rent every month! The other folks might hit for a couple of months, but the vacancy and repairs will only out them in a negative situation.

3. Not Realizing that here is more to cash flow then the money that you physically put in your pocket each month.

As most of you know, I do not live and die by the 50% and 2% rules that are so often discussed in this forum. I have been beaten up pretty good over disagreeing by folks in here, but hey, if I followed the rules of others, I would probably be working for someone else right now. :wink:

While i am not going to give accounting advice here, there is so much more to this than the money you put in your pocket at the beginning of each month. There are no simple rules, or easy paths in real estate.

Make sure you find a solid accountant and understand pre and post tax cash flow, depreciation, how to deal with expenses, equity, ect......

4. Not Understanding Risk

Real estate investing involves risk. Period! No way around it folks. You need to keep some reserves, and plan ahead.

Also, plan your exit strategies. If you get in trouble, can you sell that inner city dupex or quad quickly? Will a lender approve a loan on the property? Do you have enough equity?

Keep these things in mind. The reason why my company puts a focus on single family homes in solid blue collar neighborhoods is all based on exit strategy. We have enough equity to sell them to investors for cash flow, and enough reserves to try and sell them on the traditional market while vacant for 60-90 days for showings.

5. Not Having a Business Plan

This should probably be #1, as this is the most common of all mistakes. However, my experience is that folks usually remember the last thing they read, so I put it here since it is so crucial to your success.

If you own rental properties, you own a business. Please treat it as such. Create a business plan and evaluate it as necessary. This is not a hobby, hobbies cost you money, they do not make you money.

These are just a few issues to think about.....there are many more.....but look at these concepts, plan ahead, and it will give you a good foundation to get started, or back on track.

Good Luck!

See this reply in the discussion

211 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Denver, CO · Member since 2012 · 9 posts · 0 votes
    14y

    Overpaying and ignoring the real world expenses.

  • Real Estate Investor, CA · Member since 2012 · 93 posts · 20 votes
    14y

    This was a great thread to read.

    My give mistakes were (not in any particular order)
    - Not allowing enough money for repair expenses when analyzing annual cash flow. Rental properties need repairs but it always amazes me how a pro form never has real, if any, repair expenses.
    - Being nice and extending time to tenants when they are late on rent and keep giving them more time and chances. The cell company shuts off their phone, the car lender reposseses their car. Who do you think they will pay last if they can? Us!
    - Take the first tenant who comes by to get it rented instead of waiting for a tenant that will be better.
    - Keeping bad property managment companies. Cut them loose at the first sign of trouble.
    - Installing new carpet over and over again. Tile, laminate or vinyl planking are so much better.

  • Chico, CA · Member since 2012 · 9 posts · 1 vote
    14y

    Thanks for this thread. I've learned a lot!

  • Residential Landlord · Western, NY · Member since 2012 · 5 posts · 0 votes
    14y

    All excellent tips. Especially like "subpar rentals attract subpar tenants." My personal favorite is "purchasing a rental with borrowed money." Each of my properties are paid for and that has solved a lot of problems -- It increases my NOI, I've gotten better bargains by keeping my offers clean with short escrows, and best of all, I never hear the ticking sound of the next mortgage payment pressuring me to take the wrong tenant b/c I'm "desperate to fill a vacancy."

  • Landlord · San Diego, CA · Member since 2012 · 129 posts · 49 votes
    13y

    Great tips that I've already taken to heart. I do have one thing to add that I haven't seen anyone address. The mistake that I see my fellow landlords make all the time is to treat their rental units as "it's only a rental" and then just put in cheap everything and make the property as bland as possible. Finding good tenants is much like finding good home buyers - you want them to fall in love with the place.

    If all a landlord does is put in the bare minimum without any thought to aesthetics, he or she is going to get the bare minimum tenant - and the problems that result. It doesn't cost much more to do more either. Paint is the same cost no matter what color it is. Instead of bombing the whole house with Navajo white, try different (neutral) colors in the rooms. Don't be afraid that you won't appeal to every tenant because ultimately you want tenants who appreciate a higher level of detail.

    Too many landlords treat the business from purely a spreadsheet keep-costs-low perspective. But creating an inviting experience for the tenant ultimately adds to the bottom line because you can charge more in rent and get more stable tenants. The next time you catch yourself saying "it's only a rental," think again.

  • Rental Property Investor · Knoxville, TN · Member since 2011 · 701 posts · 531 votes
    13y

    I completely agree with John Mireles. I purchased my first rental almost 3yrs ago and really embraced the "a good rental will attract good tenants" mantra. I spent time searching for good deals on attractive light fixtures, fridges and dishwashers, flooring, bath/ kitchen fixtures, door handles, built-in bookcase, etc that would give my units a unique and quality feel to them. The last thing I wanted was a property that wreaked of home depot.

    It works as well. I've had 3 tenants (first stayed for 16 months before buying a home of their own, the 2nd lost his job so moved back home, and the 3rd will likely be there for 2-3yrs if not longer) and 2/3 have been what I would call "model tenants." All of them stated that the attention to detail and quality of the unit were the reasons for choosing to rent from me.

    Sure, I spent a little bit more on the remodel, but it's a home a would personally live-in and it has attracted quality tenants for me. I've never had to chase rent, never had to complete any repairs due to my tenants, and overall have had no problems. In fact, one tenant actually refused their deposit when I tried to return it! How many landlords can say that?

    At the end of the day, don't take any shat from people and provide a high-quality product with excellent customer service. If not your results will suffer.

  • Rental Property Investor · West Lafayette, IN · Member since 2012 · 40 posts · 10 votes
    13y

    Make sure you have "landlord" insurance coverage...not personal property insurance.

    Send monthly reminders to tenements reminding them to replace furnace filters. Etc. ( I paid an HVAC CO. 90 dollars to replace a furnace filter because the AC wasn't working)

  • Rental Property Investor · West Lafayette, IN · Member since 2012 · 40 posts · 10 votes
    13y
    Originally posted by Koel Gaylord:
    Make sure you have "landlord" insurance coverage...not personal property insurance.

    Send monthly reminders to tennents reminding them to replace furnace filters. Etc. ( I paid an HVAC CO. 90 dollars to replace a furnace filter because the AC wasn't working)

  • Investor · Santa Clara, CA · Member since 2012 · 42 posts · 10 votes
    13y

    Some notables from experience:

    1. Relying on property management to ensure credit worthiness of tenant.
    2. Being lenient on tenant instead of enforcing lease.
    3. Enforcing - eviction notices sent much later that allowed tenant to squeeze in more free months of rent.

    Cheers
    GS

  • Rental Property Investor · Upstate, NY · Member since 2012 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    13y

    Buying properties that do not have separate utilities INCLUDING water.
    We have made a lot of money buying duplexes that we upgrade & convert to sep utilities.
    I then resell them for a grood profit because the operating costs are more predictable & manageable.
    Around here a second water meter is $283 installed by the city, & you can recoup that cost in < 3 months of water bills.
    Admittedly the water bills stay with the property owner but unpaid water bills can be recovered via the security deposit. We have taken over duplexes with $1500-$2000 in unpaid water bills.

  • vancouver, bc · Member since 2013 · 9 posts · 2 votes
    13y

    I would say the biggest one for me is allowing your management company to do the rehab and the pursuing repairs/maintenance. Its best to find a Handyman and pay him by the hour. Save lots of money this way...

  • Bakersfield, CA · Member since 2013 · 128 posts · 7 votes
    13y
    Originally posted by Richard Warren:
    Having unrealistic expectations about cash flow. Believing the realtor or seller when he says that the property has positive cash flow. To them it is positive as long as it covers PITI, which totally ignores all of the other expenses.

    What are those other expenses besides PITI and maintenance costs ?

  • Investor · Salt Lake City, UT · Member since 2012 · 38 posts · 8 votes
    13y

    I've learned a lot from reading this! Thank you to all the experienced landlords who have shared.

  • Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2013 · 52 posts · 4 votes
    13y

    Great post. I am sure all of this advise will come in handy as I prepare to purchase my first rental property. Thank you.

  • Real Estate Investor · New York, NY · Member since 2012 · 210 posts · 15 votes
    13y

    (1) Trusting or not verifying an assumption, even if its from someone I respect/trust. Example, "this house will rent for $2,500" -- upon inspection, its really $2,000. Example, "plumbing is a worst case $8K on this job based on XYZ" -- upon getting bids its $12K. Example, "assume $20/ft rehab" -- upon getting bids its really $40/ft.

    (2) Being too optimistic on rents. I figured one proeprty would rent for $2,000-$2,150. I listed for $2,250 and ultimately am cutting to $1,900. Another was going for $900, I did a good quality make-ready and thought could get $950-975... am cutting back to $900 because I realize I want better quality tenants.

  • Upper Darby, PA · Member since 2013 · 146 posts · 7 votes
    13y

    I'm just starting out in the real estate world. I'm looking into multifamily units and am reading a lot of books and other materials. This thread was phenomenal! It had a lot of information but it didn't seem overwhelming, just very informative.

  • Investor · Midwest · Member since 2013 · 253 posts · 34 votes
    12y

    Thanks for the great tips!

    I'm also making the rent a little lower to have better quality tenants. Property manager said can rent from $900-$1k, I am putting it for rent at $850. (plus will be closing in the middle of Nov in a snowy area)

  • Investor · Rochester, NY · Member since 2012 · 13 posts · 1 vote
    12y

    Not taking the tenant screening process seriously. I've been guilty of getting lazy and just taking the first reasonable applicant without doing any verifying...I paid...

  • Investor · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2013 · 205 posts · 44 votes
    12y

    Letting the tenants dictate your business. Once they know they can run you they wont stop.

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Garner, NC · Member since 2011 · 42 posts · 15 votes
    12y

    I would reccomend wholesaling at least 3 deals before buying your first rental property. The skills that are necessary for wholesaling are highly relevant to buying your first property correctly. The biggest mistake I made when I bought my first "buy-and-hold" rental house was going to the bank for a loan. The first "flip" I did was a subject-to deal and it was beautiful. Had I followed the same strategy when buying my first rental I could have cut my loses a lot sooner!

  • Investor · Delaware, OH · Member since 2013 · 224 posts · 64 votes
    12y

    These aren't the biggest mistakes a landlord can make, but even these little ones add up:

    1. Don't refund the deposit until the utilities are completely finalized. I had a tenant move out with 3 weeks left, turned off their electric, so it got switched to our name. (She was going to clean during daylight, and had been a great tenant for 3 years until I got that electric notice). Well, we settled the electric bill from her deposit when I got what I thought was the final bill...and then I got a $50 bill post-mortem.

    2. Failure to set up a program with the utility company to notify you if the utility is being shut off for failure to pay. You definitely want to know if someone isn't paying their utilities.

    3. Not including an item in the lease to regularly inspect the premises. Our clause: we can come in monthly (with notice) to inspect the smoke detectors. This is way better than the furnace filter clause some people use - because that only gets you in the basement. For smoke detectors, we get to the bedrooms.

    4. Not utilizing the smoke inspector clause frequently enough to make sure the house is in good order. We would have found the cat and pet rodents earlier.

    5. Not interviewing/researching potential tenants before meeting them. After our first few no-show viewings, we now interview all potential tenants when they call. Extensively. And then go to the Internet and research them - court records, Facebook, Twitter. And only if they pass that vetting do they get an appointment to see the place.

  • Inspector · San Joaquin County, CA · Member since 2013 · 60 posts · 10 votes
    12y

    Well, I've seen so many mistakes Landlords (and tenants) make, that I would probably need an entire day to write them all here.

    In my opinion, here's the most important mistake a landlord makes "before" renting out their property to their prospect tenants.

    Mistake / Tip

    So you have 2 prospect tenants for your rental property and you need to make a decision as to who to rent it to. They both have good credit, salary, etc.

    What I would do as a landlord, I would visit both tenants homes first to see how they live, see how their current home is maintained and yards, I'd ask questions to the neighbors and then make an educated decision based on my findings.

  • Residential Real Estate Broker · Mesa Arizona · Member since 2012 · 4 posts · 2 votes
    12y

    #1 Mistake -Becoming a landlord without fully understanding all the duties and time involved to properly manage a home. Rentals can be difficult if you are not prepared with the right tools.

    - Have a list of trusted vendors on hand (HVAC, plumbing, general maintenance etc.)

    - Know the law, check your rentals' local Landlord Tenant law and familiarize yourself with both your responsibilities and your tenants.

    - Understand all aspects of an eviction process. Timeframe, documents and cost.

    - Screen the tenant and don't cut corners just to get it rented. Verify ALL information provided. Make sure you are checking ID, credit, criminal, income and rental history.

    - Keep current with market rents, a simple search of the area your rental is located will show market rents. Searching similar rentals is the key. Square footage, # of bedrooms, pool or no pool, year it was built, appliances included and upgrades.

  • Lender · Chicago, IL · Member since 2013 · 5 posts · 2 votes
    12y

    Not taking the neccessary time and dilligence to qualify your tenant(s).

  • Baltimore, MD · Member since 2014 · 1 post · 2 votes
    12y

    1) Moving in bad tenants

    2) Not making repairs and proper maintenance of property

    3) Challenging Tenants ( you are a bad landlord if you think you will win a fight with one who has nothing to lose)

    4) Procrastination

    5) Not making the trip to the court house. ( Failing to begin an eveiction process early)

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.