Advise...Replace old carpet with new carpet, or something else?

Advise...Replace old carpet with new carpet, or something else?

Rental Property Investor · St Peterburg FL and Omaha, NE · Member since 2015 · 37 posts · 12 votes

I will be closing on my first rental property in a couple weeks.  It is a single family home.  About half of the house has carpet, in the living room, hallways and bedrooms, which is trashed and needs to be replaced. 

Would you recommend replacing the carpet with new carpet, or going with a hard surface, such as laminate or wood of  some type?  

0Reply
106 views

Most Popular Reply

Chris SeveneyBusiness Member
Moderator
Investor · VA · Member since 2015 · 21k+ posts · 19k+ votes
10y
Tile in baths and kitchens and I go with a thick vinyl plank floor (looks like wood). The vinyl is a little under $2 for a decent thickness that is also waterproof. I like it better than wood because it is more durable and less maintenance
7e investments53 Reviews
See this reply in the discussion

28 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Appraiser · Chambersburg, PA · Member since 2015 · 22 posts · 4 votes
    10y

    Home depot has it.

    http://www.homedepot.com/p/Home-Decorators-Collection-Strand-Woven-Harvest-3-8-in-Thick-x-4-92-in-Wide-x-36-1-4-in-Length-Solid-Bamboo-Flooring-24-76-sq-ft-case-HL271S/205124730?storeId=10051&langId=-1&catalogId=10053

  • Cumming, GA · Member since 2014 · 218 posts · 71 votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Andrey Y.:
    Originally posted by @Galen Bricker:

    I installed 3/8" bamboo flooring in a townhouse I renovated from HD for $2/ft.  It is VERY hard and scratch resistant which is great when tenants move furniture around.  I took off the baseboard, installed it and replaced the same baseboard.  Looks great, fairly cheap and long lasting!

     Where did you find the flooring?

     Home Depot will sell some of those by the pallet. just search for bamboo flooring on HD website.

  • Interior Decorator · Canton, MI · Member since 2015 · 129 posts · 100 votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Steve Hannibal:

    I will be closing on my first rental property in a couple weeks.  It is a single family home.  About half of the house has carpet, in the living room, hallways and bedrooms, which is trashed and needs to be replaced. 

    Would you recommend replacing the carpet with new carpet, or going with a hard surface, such as laminate or wood of  some type?  

     Since you said it was a rental property then maintenance is the biggest issue. I would recommend LVT on the main floor as it can be easier to repair and not replace and has a longer life. Naturally ceramic in the bathroom is preferred but if you're looking to keep the price down then a groutable LVT is cheaper overall when you look at material and labor. I agree with the carpet on the stairs and landing as it keeps the noise down.  Master bedroom could be a nice textured piece though if you are renting to people with kids I'd again put LVT in the other bedroom that the children might have because of staining.

    Laminate tends to have issue with water which can cause peaking. If you going to have harwood just dont go to a cheap 5/16 engineered  that won't last. Personally I ouwld only do wood if you're flipping it.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.