• Real Estate Agent
  • Mechanicsburg, PA
Votes |
Declining a tenant's application

Christian Bors
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Mechanicsburg, PA
Posted Dec 18 2015, 08:12

I have a prospective tenant that filled out our application.  Originally, her fiancée and her 3 kids were going to move in.  I told them our process and standards we require for our rental units.  First, they must fill out a preliminary application.  If they pass, we then require a criminal and credit check from smartmove. Anyways, I get both applications back (His and her).  On his application he states he was evicted last year. Easy turndown.

I spoke with her on the phone and said unfortunately he does not meet our standards.  The application has been turned down.  She then says well I've decided I don't want him to live with me and kids (lies! I know he's going to move in with you).  I was planning on leaving him because we have been fighting.  She would still like the apartment.  Her income, Social security $1500 (by the way she's 30 years old and looks perfectly healthy) and child support $1000 does meet our requirement.  Does child support count as income?  I requested both the reward letter from SS and the child support payment agreement along with birth certificates for each child.  I also told her our strict lease agreement that specifically prohibits anyone staying at the property for longer the 10 days.  The point is, there are many red flags.  This application is getting turned down.  I'm pretty sure her credit score is crap.  She told me she has some delinquencies with credit cards etc.  She won't qualify, however she still persists on filling out the smartmove app.  I am trying to save her the $30 dollar fee.  What should I do?  I told her I recommend not filling on the smart move because of these concerns, but I cannot make a true decision without the application being fully completed (smart move report).  I don't understand why she doesn't get the hint.  Should I run the report? I just want to be compliant and make sure I am not discriminating etc...

Loading replies...