• Reston, VA
Votes |
Tenant late on rent and refuses late fees

Ron Smith
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Reston, VA
Posted Jan 8 2016, 14:24

Hi

I am a new land lord and facing a menacing tenant. This guys history checked out OK but his lies started from the time he said he will move in. Finally when I told him to confirm and pay the rent by 5th or I will rent the place to another applicant, he sent the payments. He did not pay rent on time one single time. Second month he said his payroll got messed up and he is drawing money from 401k ( yeah right !!!) and finally paid around 20 th but included the $100 late fees and promised to pay before 1st every month. 

3rd month, paid 3 days late and when asked about the late fees, gave me a lecture about how to run " my business". He changed his stance time and officially said he can pay any time before the month end and it will cost me to go to a court.

My real estate agent is the one who screened this tenant who says I need to deal with guy with kid gloves. He says not to send any more email reminders or late fee notices but just record all the corrospondence with him and not renew his lease which expires end of June.

This month he sends a " hey you can expect rent this Friday" Mail on 5th when he rent is due and no rent today as well.

I am worried if this guy will make more mess and not leave the property.

Pls advise.

Loading replies...