Property Management Fees

Property Management Fees

Tampa, FL · Member since 2015 · 46 posts · 21 votes

Hi, 

I just bought my first rental property  last month.  I live in NY and my property is in FL so the property will be run by a property manager.  

I just received the property management agreement and the cost of property management is a little higher then I expected.  Could somebody  please tell me if the fees of this deal are reasonable.

Property location: Ocala FL

Expected Rent rate: $900

Fee for managing tenant relations: %10 of gross lease value

Fee for managing  property: $100 per month.

First  months rent goes to property manager.  Also, 1st month rent of renewal's goes to property manager.

So then this would mean $190 every month goes to my property manager for a property that rents for $900.  Is it normally that high for Ocala FL?  

Thanks

0Reply
187 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Central America, Panama · Member since 2010 · 423 posts · 293 votes
10y

These property management fees are ridiculous.

You should contact Michael Bielon.  He does Master Leasing in that area and does not  charge any property managment fees.  Hi web site is OnTimeRents dot com

or contact DavidTilney dot com for other recommendations in that area.  David trains people to do Master Leasing and has been doing it for more than 30 years. 

PM fees are another good reason to not buy outside your own market.  Those initial fees are just the beginning.  If you need an air conditioner repaired or a roof replaced, a PM will tack on 10-20% of the cost of the repair .. just for making the phone call.  Beware of additional fees for sending you accounting every month, etc 

Someone who does master leasing does not play those games.  

See this reply in the discussion

54 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Sierra Madre, CA · Member since 2015 · 12 posts · 4 votes
    10y

    Wow, after reading this I am note sure how much I would trust her. First impressions kind of thing. I am hoping they will not try to nickel and dime you throughout the year to make up the fee's that they agreed to reduce.

    I have properties in 4 different states, here are the average numbers for my PM.

    Monthly fee 7-8 % of rents (when occupied)

    1/2 of 1st months rent to place a new tenant

    Split late payment fee's

    $100 for lease renewals

    Best of luck !!

  • Derreck WellsPro Member
    Specialist · Pelham, NH · Member since 2013 · 544 posts · 269 votes
    10y

    This may have been mentioned, I didnt read all the posts. On the second document, the lease agreement, 3B needs either owner or broker checked off and 6A says first months rent to be split between broker and tenants broker but #7 says they also get $225 to 3 different brokers. So that agreement says you're paying $1575 when they find a tenant. I wouldn't edit and sign this document, I'd require new agreements to be written up. Never leave any doubt in a Judge's mind. 

  • Tampa, FL · Member since 2015 · 46 posts · 21 votes
    10y

    @Derreck WellsThanks Derreck.  Unfortunately I already edited and signed the document.    I didn't realize it at the time but now that I'm comparing 6a to 7, I think my edits to 6a(changed full months rent to half) are now going to conflict with #7.

  • Investor · Westminster, CO · Member since 2009 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    10y

    We own property in six different states and will be adding number seven shortly.  PM fees are always negotiable.  If I have multiple properties with one manager, I get 7% monthly fee.  Finding a new tenant costs me ZERO in CA and CO.  And between 50% and 70% in TX, OK, AZ, TN.  Most have a small lease renewal fee, between 5-10%.  Only one company charges me a commission for repairs and I believe that is a total RIP OFF.  As a matter of fact, most PM's gouge a lot!  Finding a good PM is like finding a Gold Mine.  Be ready to FIRE a PM if you are not happy with them.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.