Funny Tenant Screening

Funny Tenant Screening

Missy H.Pro Member
Investor · Bloomfield, NJ · Member since 2015 · 207 posts · 121 votes

So, I am currently seeking a tenant for one of my units.  I posted an ad on Craigslist and waited for people to respond.  I received several responses, and I am still screening, but let me tell you about one call I had.

I get a call from, let's call her Tammy, as I am driving home from work.  I give her the speech to tell her about the unit but then I get a call from work - my 9-5.  I ask her if she could hold on for a moment while I take the call.  She agrees.  (I did not put my phone call on mute.)  I answer my work phone and begin talking to one of my Supervisors.  It is about an employee who witnessed an incident and had to testify on what she observed.  

Keep in mind that I do not work for law enforcement, nor am I an attorney.  But Tammy only hears my end of the conversation, where I say "...she has to testify", "...Yes, he was arrested.", "....I spoke with the prosecutor." and "....we are legally obligated." - you get the picture.

Now, I am not sure what she was thinking, but when I hung up and got back to her, I and said, "I am so sorry for keeping on on hold."  She replies, "That's OK."  

But then she hangs up.  At first I thought that we got disconnected, but I called her back - no answer.  I called back a minute later - no answer.  I called back 20 minutes later - no answer.

I don't know where she thought I worked, but she wanted no part of it.  I guess I found a new tenant pre-screening process.  LOL!!

2Reply
10 views

2 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Realtor · Houston, TX · Member since 2011 · 916 posts · 296 votes
    10y

    You dodged a bullet. Consider yourself lucky, but then again she probably wouldn't have made it past your screening process.

  • Toledo, OH · Member since 2015 · 63 posts · 27 votes
    10y

    Maybe it was her boyfriend LOL who knows

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.