Section 8 issues

Section 8 issues

Inspector · asheville, NC · Member since 2008 · 43 posts · 8 votes

I've had a single family home that I've rented for approx 4 years. First renter was a section 8. She was in for a few years and everything was going nicely until she becomes responsible for part of the rent, about a hundred bucks. She seems to have a hard time coming up with it every month. After about four months of this I get a letter from the power company reference meter tampering.
So, I go for a visit (I lived two hours away and only got over there maybe once every two months) and find the house is vacant. Section 8 case worker knows nothing.
Turns out, I still had to go through the eviction process for CYA purposes.
She trashed the place, stole the washer and dryer, etc..
So, I spent thousands on new windows, carpet, drywayll, etc. and got another section 8 renter in.
This time, I had a property management company that was recommended by two different people manage the property.
After the first year, Section 8 cuts their part by 130 bucks, meaning the tenant now has to pay a portion.
Tenant is not paying.

My question is this.
Isnt it impossible for a person to get section 8 vouchers ever again if they are evicted?
This is what the sec 8 caseworker told me, and it is a federal program, so they cannot go out of state for one.
If this is so, then why are so many of these single mom's willing to lose their vouchers?
I had always heard this was a big incentive for them to pay up, but now I'm having my doubts.

And sec 8 doesnt guarantee any of the damage to the house, so I would need to go back in and fix it up...again...before I could get another sec 8 renter.
I'm thinking of giving up on sec 8

0Reply
32 views

10 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Mercer Island, WA · Member since 2008 · 22k+ posts · 14k+ votes
    17y

    Well, non-section 8 tenants may be just as troublesome. Around here, section 8 rents are higher than market, so even knocking $100 off will get you more than you would get for a non-section 8 rental.

    Are you carefully screening these tenants?

  • Real Estate Investor · OH · Member since 2008 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    17y


    Because many of them have the IQ of a rock and the ability to only think about 5 minutes in the future. You definitely need to ensure that this person's Section 8 is terminated, so be sure to see what documentation your local Section 8 requires from you.

    Section 8 tenants are no different than any other low income tenants. They are low income tenants because they consistently make very poor decisions and don't think about the consequences of their actions. This is just a NORMAL part of the business of dealing with low income tenants.

    However, as Jon said, you'll get better tenants if you thoroughly screen them.

    Good Luck,

    Mike
  • Inspector · asheville, NC · Member since 2008 · 43 posts · 8 votes
    17y

    thanks for the info.
    The property management company I'm using might be part of the problem. I'm still looking into it.
    They just sent out their handyman to snake the drains as the City apparently notified them that they were backed up?
    So, the handyman goes out, pulls the toilet, snakes it, then goes outside and snakes the cleanout we have on the house, puts the toilet back on, and charges me 575.00. Which, just so happens to be what we get for rent for the property.
    Maybe it's just me, but this seems a little high.
    Anyways, that is onto another topic of "How to find a good property manager".
    I will know more here in a few days, but need to start considering eviction. Last time I checked over a year ago there were a whole bunch of sec 8 renters looking for homes. Not sure how the supply is now though.

    And yes, thorough screening is at the very top of my priority list for the next tenant. You can count on it.

    thanks again,
    matt

  • Real Estate Investor · OH · Member since 2008 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    17y
    So, the handyman goes out, pulls the toilet, snakes it, then goes outside and snakes the cleanout we have on the house, puts the toilet back on, and charges me 575.00. Which, just so happens to be what we get for rent for the property.
    Maybe it's just me, but this seems a little high.

    Please call me the next time you need the drains snaked. I'll be happy to do it for $550!!! LOL!

    Seriously, when I have a drain that requires a professional to snake it, I pay $160 and that includes them either using a water jet machine or a industrial size snake with a 3/4 inch diameter cable.

    I'd say that they ripped you off.

    Mike

  • Real Estate Investor · Arlington, TX · Member since 2009 · 10 posts · 6 votes
    17y

    I agree. You may have been better off searching the yellow pages for a plumber. Also, all section 8 people are not bad. Some people lost jobs to which made them section 8 eligible. There really are decent section 8 renters. A major GOODIE would be to print up flyers about your property and then visit your local section 8 offices and put your flyers there. Tons of section 8 people are wanting to rent houses instead of apartments but if your houses are never seen, then you put yourself at a great disadvantage. Also, be sure to state on the ad that you are looking for a nice family to provide tender loving care to your loving rental home and that you will thoroughly screen tenants for the best section 8 victor. This statement alone will make others automatically weed themselves out being their conscious won't let them go further if they are a trasher. Just be sure to include a picture on each flyer. It doesn't have to be in color but it needs to be attractive. If you can do this for each state that you have properties, then they'd be great. Best wishes on your pursuit. Take care.

  • Rental Property Investor · Mercer Island, WA · Member since 2008 · 22k+ posts · 14k+ votes
    17y


    That will also get you a very unfriendly call or visit from a fair housing enforcement official. Saying in your ad that you're looking for a "family" is a DIRECT violation of fair housing laws.
  • Ridgeland, MS · Member since 2009 · 106 posts · 0 votes
    17y

    One other thing I always recommend to "absentee" owners is compare apples to apples with your PMs to each other when pricing rates.
    One huge thing that sets our PM company apart from others is that every 45 days we go into the proeprty to change air filters. While there we do a 20 point inspection that takes about 15 minutes but saves thousands of $$s when you consider all the little problems before they become big ones.
    Might cost you an extra 2% or so a month but it is well worth it. (of course with us, it's standard so there is no extra charge! ;))

  • Real Estate Investor · Newport beach, CA · Member since 2008 · 37 posts · 1 vote
    17y

    thanks so much to everyone for all the great comments and suggestions. I currently have two vacant single family home rentals in the Marietta, Georgia area. I am trying to get my PM co to get interested in Section 8 rentals. I have spent thousands on these houses with all of the problems discussed: vacancies, trash the house, etc.-- I have had several property managers that have just been terrible. I'm almost ready to go out there myself and see what I can do!! (I live in CA) so hoping to turn things around. enjoyed hearing everyone's responses

  • Real Estate Investor · OH · Member since 2008 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    17y

    Many tenants have no conscious, so I certainly wouldn't count on that for anything! The thing that WILL do some good is to actually do a thorough screening.

    Mike

  • Real Estate Investor · Harrisburg, PA · Member since 2008 · 716 posts · 41 votes
    17y
    Originally posted by MikeOH:
    So, the handyman goes out, pulls the toilet, snakes it, then goes outside and snakes the cleanout we have on the house, puts the toilet back on, and charges me 575.00. Which, just so happens to be what we get for rent for the property.
    Maybe it's just me, but this seems a little high.


    Please call me the next time you need the drains snaked. I'll be happy to do it for $550!!! LOL!

    Seriously, when I have a drain that requires a professional to snake it, I pay $160 and that includes them either using a water jet machine or a industrial size snake with a 3/4 inch diameter cable.

    I'd say that they ripped you off.

    Mike


    OR, just go to Home Depot and buy the machine that they used for $350. For less money than you paid, you will then own the machine for future issues.
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.