Do you clean out the gutters for your tenants?

Do you clean out the gutters for your tenants?

Evans, GA · Member since 2015 · 35 posts · 3 votes

I have a buy and hold, and my tenants mentioned the gutters needed to be cleaned.  I know it's going to be different for everyone, but is this something you provide for your tenants?  

1Reply
46 views

Most Popular Reply

Buy & Hold Owner · Redlands, CA · Member since 2015 · 5k+ posts · 2k+ votes
10y

NO - - it's something I do for MY PROPERTY.

See this reply in the discussion

12 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Buy & Hold Owner · Redlands, CA · Member since 2015 · 5k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    10y

    NO - - it's something I do for MY PROPERTY.

  • Evans, GA · Member since 2015 · 35 posts · 3 votes
    10y

    Well it is my property...i'm assuming you mean the property you occupy?  

    Keep in mind, these are VERY good tenants.  I have had zero issues with them, and rent is always on time.  

    And yes, they do maintain the yard themselves

  • Levi T.Pro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Tucson AZ / Nice FR / Washington DC · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    10y
    With our leases for SFH; cleaning gutters or cutting grass falls to the tenant, just because they rented from you does not mean it's a full service rental where you cut their grass, clean gutter, or change lightbulbs. We operate in the realm of its their responsibility, but we are happy to do it for them, at a price. We charge $35 to call vendors and book the service. We will pay the bill the apply the amount to the tenants account along with our fee.
  • Rental Property Investor · Beaver County Pa. · Member since 2016 · 25 posts · 5 votes
    10y
    As a property manager u would hire a contractor that is insured : #1 so if you go on the latter a fall you won't be hurt ! It shouldn't be that much to hire a contractor to clean out gutters !! Have a great day! Happy investing!
  • Real Estate Professional · California, MD · Member since 2016 · 35 posts · 8 votes
    10y

    I pay someone to do it.  I don't want untrained people doing anything to my property.

  • Real Estate Consultant · Denver, CO · Member since 2013 · 27 posts · 28 votes
    10y

    100% Yes, this is something we do for our tenants.  Functioning gutters are so important to the maintenance of your home that we pay for it to ensure it's done regularly, thoroughly and correctly.  The cost to keep them clean and functional is minuscule compared to the potential cost of repairs related to poor drainage (damaged foundation, water seepage, mold) all which occur over time and are hard to spot until it's too late.

    As a landlord, you'll always want to look the long term value of your property versus what is easiest and cheapest right now.

  • Principal · Charlotte, NC · Member since 2010 · 200 posts · 89 votes
    10y

    We clean gutters and a few other things to make sure the condition of the property maintains.  Often our residents wont call for an ongoing maintenance issue in their home that is causing damage and we dont find out until our annual inspection or when they move out.    It is great you have tenants alerting you of things that could cause damage to your property so you can handle before it really costs money. 

  • Investor · Portland, OR · Member since 2016 · 47 posts · 36 votes
    10y

    I clean the gutters, Its only once or twice a year and doesn't take that much time.  The last thing I want is a tenant up on a ladder on my property.  They are in charge of the rest of the yard maintenance. But once each spring, we swing by and do a full yard tune up.  Now I don't have a lot of properties so I can do this, if (when)  I get over 10, I might start to hire this out, and it would be with a licensed and insured worker. 

    One other thing to keep in mind, doing it yourself also give you a good reason to look around and see how well your property is being maintained.

  • Investor · Hamilton, OH · Member since 2013 · 139 posts · 27 votes
    10y

    I do clean the gutters on my units.  Mostly to protect the assets from damage.  My lease does say the tenant is responsible for upkeep.  But I would rather spend the time to ensure the gutters function then try to fight with the tenant to do it, or pay for damages later on.  

  • Investor · Century, FL · Member since 2015 · 950 posts · 603 votes
    10y

    In answer to the original question, yes, no, maybe, depends.

    Some tenants are great, they look after the home like it's their own, and stupid jobs like this they actually enjoy. Some (many) tenants won't do jobs like that. It really depends on the tenant.

  • Queens, NY · Member since 2015 · 130 posts · 34 votes
    10y

    I'm surprised to see all the maintenance issues landlords will pass on to their tenants. As someone who's a tenant, I would laugh at any landlord that tried to have me clean his gutters. Aren't there liability issues when you have your tenant getting up on a ladder to perform tasks like this? Also, I'd rather make sure it's done right to protect my asset (if I had one) rather than trust a tenant to do it. 

  • Investor · Hunker, PA · Member since 2015 · 40 posts · 17 votes
    10y
    I have a duplex that the gutter gets clogged up if you don't clean it once or twice a year. I've always cleaned it myself and it never occurred to me to have the tenant do it. At any rate I would rather do it myself anyway. Too much risk having my tenant fall off a ladder and me being sued or having my roof damaged by the tenant.
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.