Pay for Mulch or Leave It up to the tenants

Pay for Mulch or Leave It up to the tenants

Rental Property Investor · Carlisle, PA · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 543 votes
My tenants in a sfh get mulch every year for the house. It is in an A neighborhood and does make the yard look nice. It costs $100-125 once a year. Should I pay it or have them pay for it if they want it? As an aside, they have been late on two payments this year but they are 3 years into their second 5 year lease. What do you all think?
0Reply
66 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · Charlotte, NC · Member since 2015 · 58 posts · 19 votes
10y

I'm of the opinion that I like my properties to look great and stand out from the competition.  If it were me I would be paying for the expense.  It's another write off for you.

See this reply in the discussion

8 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Charlotte, NC · Member since 2015 · 58 posts · 19 votes
    10y

    I'm of the opinion that I like my properties to look great and stand out from the competition.  If it were me I would be paying for the expense.  It's another write off for you.

  • Residential Real Estate Broker · San Antonio, TX · Member since 2016 · 506 posts · 311 votes
    10y

    Capitalize on it as a thank you and let them know you appreciate what they do.

  • Buy & Hold Owner · Redlands, CA · Member since 2015 · 5k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    10y

    It's your investment and curb appeal - - don't nickel and & dime this decision!

  • De Pere, WI · Member since 2016 · 83 posts · 39 votes
    10y

    Did they place it initially or did it come with the property already?  If it is a regular maintenance that came with the property then it is appropriate for you to pay for the cost of upkeeping the mulch. If it is something "extra" they added in hopes of improving the property, then I feel it is up to you.  If it actually does improve the property and they maintain things well, I would highly suggest paying for it; but if it is just an extra cost that they just want something because of personal preference then they should maintain the cost.  Good luck!

  • San Jose, CA · Member since 2015 · 4k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    10y

    Well, they've been there 8 years?  What has been the deal so far? 

    Sounds like you have great tenants.  Why would you want to nickel and dime them now?  What am I missing?

  • Rental Property Investor · Carlisle, PA · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 543 votes
    10y

    @Deb Jones, @Robert Melcher, @ J Beard.  Thanks for the replies.  You are right!!

    @Ashley Schroeder

    @Account Closed

    I had the house built and they immediately moved in.  I have bought the mulch every year for them.  I am getting frustrated with their late payments recently and just wanted to gauge if I was doing to much for them.  You are all correct though, I think I will continue to pay for it and use it as a write off.....

  • De Pere, WI · Member since 2016 · 83 posts · 39 votes
    10y

    @Kevin Hunter have you tried talking to them about the late payments?  It seems that they've been relatively happy with you as a landlord and vice versa.  Maybe it just takes some communication.  Maybe they changed jobs or had an illness; maybe they need a different schedule now with a possible change in their life.  Even saying something like "I noticed you were late recently on your payments and I know you guys are normally pay on time.  Is there anything we can do to make sure this doesn't turn into a larger problem?"  Show them you are willing to work with them.  We have found keeping an open line of communication with our tenants really seems to help.  It's allowed for us to plan ahead when a tenant states they were going to be late, even if they were great tenants (ex. our last tenants worked on commission and then all of a sudden her pay schedule changed; it allowed for us to put a new schedule in place).  Definitely keep paying if you always have been though and it "came" with the house

  • Rental Property Investor · Carlisle, PA · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 543 votes
    10y

    @Ashley Schroeder, thanks.  I'll keep that in mind.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.