How to determine if there's demand for your prospective rental?

How to determine if there's demand for your prospective rental?

Dallas, TX · Member since 2014 · 650 posts · 53 votes

I'm looking at acquiring my first rental property.  Is there a typical way one goes about determining if there's demand for your rental?

The numbers on this single family property look to be pretty good if I can just get a good tenant in it.

How does one go about determining demand?  Should I post a craigslist ad?  Is that illegal if I don't own the property?

I could talk to a realtor, but I'm also looking for something more empirical than a realtor's opinion.

Any suggestions?

0Reply
13 views

3 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Patrick LiskaPro Member
    Investor · Verona, NJ · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 832 votes
    10y

    Check on line on the real estate sites or a rental site and see if there are a lot of available properties for rent like you want to purchase, if not then you know that it is in demand. try this site: https://www.rentjungle.com/

  • Steve RozenbergPro Member
    Specialist · Houston, TX · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    10y

    I would suggest calling agents in the area, letting them know your investor looking to buy and you want rental comps for the area.. then ask them for days on market... if things last under 30 days you know its a good market for rentals. If it is on the market for 400 days then that will be good indication if it is slow.

    Either way it is information, that information is how you base your acquisition plan of the property and it should support your purchase price.. you may have to have longer holding costs for a certain property.. again as long as you know this going in and plan accordingly then its good. If you do not and think it will rent in 1 week and you hold it for 6 months vacant. That will affect your out of pocket expenses and projected cash on cash return on your investment 

  • Real Estate Investor · Williamson County, TX · Member since 2011 · 1k+ posts · 961 votes
    10y
    Hotpads lists rentals as does realtor.com and may other sites. Rentometer is dated but possibly useful. Rentals posted at market price will rent in a months time or so in normal markets...my experience. Just as any property will sell...at a price, I would think any property will rent...at a price. And to a tenant pool. What tenant pool do you want to work with? That is the question.
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.