In contract on first rental in Columbus, Ohio. Any wise words?

In contract on first rental in Columbus, Ohio. Any wise words?

Columbus, OH · Member since 2016 · 1 post · 1 vote
The house is on the Hilltop, west side. The neighborhoods over there are a bit spotty but I live close by and the street that the property is on is a good one. Will have to do some rehabbing and I aim to be done and looking for a tenant by August. School me....
1Reply
15 views

3 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Grove City, OH · Member since 2015 · 27 posts · 4 votes
    10y

    Credit, criminal and eviction check for sure. I have properties very close there - and currently have my eye on a few more actually on the Hilltop (and will buy them if I can get the deal I want). 

    Good luck and feel free to reach out to me if you have more questions.

  • Investor · Jackson, OH · Member since 2014 · 64 posts · 20 votes
    10y

    Congratulations @James McCain! Be diligent in appropriating money each month for maintenance and be sure to utilize a written lease with clear terms. I have learned so much here on BP Forums and podcasts. Read. Read. Read. All the best!

  • Investor / Landlord · Columbus, OH · Member since 2015 · 276 posts · 174 votes
    10y

    @James McCain In addition to the great educational opportunities on BP, there are 2 helpful groups in Columbus Metro:

    1. COREE (they have a website but I believe they meet the first Tuesday of each month).

    2. If you want to connect with other investors, there is a FREE landlording meeting this Thursday, May 26th, at Tommy's Pizza on Dublin-Granville (between Sawmill and Riverside) that features education (a Q&A session geared to newbies for general real estate investing and landlording as well as a featured speaker) and networking and has a good mix of newbies and experienced investors. It starts at 6:00 PM (though you can arrive later) and ends around 9:00 PM or later. Attendance is usually 35-50.This month the scheduled speaker is a Battalion Chief from the City of Columbus, Division of Fire who will be discussing fire safety in rentals.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.