Does anybody know what type of exterior siding this is?

Does anybody know what type of exterior siding this is?

Rental Property Investor · Wake Forest, NC · Member since 2016 · 186 posts · 78 votes

Unfortunately, I do not have any pictures of it as I have only passed by 3 places that has had this. When dealing with exterior materials I am aware of brick, stone, veneers, vinyl, stucco etc. But....I have been amazed at this material I saw that looks like wallpaper on a house. There are different colors, designs etc. It caught my eye because it looks different and unique. I am clueless to what it is and hoping someone on here would know. Again, it does not look like any material I have seen. From a distance it looks just like wallpaper.

0Reply
65 views

Most Popular Reply

Property Manager · Livonia, MI · Member since 2011 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
10y

ok.

See this reply in the discussion

18 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Property Manager · Livonia, MI · Member since 2011 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    10y

    ok.

  • Rental Property Investor · Wake Forest, NC · Member since 2016 · 186 posts · 78 votes
    10y

    @George P. Do you have an answer?

  • Property Manager · Livonia, MI · Member since 2011 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Nikki Grizzle:

    @George P. Do you have an answer?

     no. i was just amazed that you are asking us to identify a material by verbal explanation. 

    do u have a smart phone? if so, it should have a camera that takes pictures.

  • Baltimore, MD · Member since 2014 · 91 posts · 49 votes
    10y

    Lol

    I think his point is you cannot ask us what something looks like, if we don't know what that something looks like. Even a simple google search on different exterior siding may have been able to help, but we can't see what we can't see ;)

  • Investor · PA · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 602 votes
    10y

    Maybe it is wallpaper. I purchased wallpaper recently that feels like vinyl and I would imagine it would protect a structure from the elements fairly well.  Also if you google outdoor or exterior wallpaper, you get a few hits:

    http://design-milk.com/get-out-wall-and-deco-outdo...

    http://www.menards.com/main/home-decor/wallpaper-a...

  • Rental Property Investor · Wake Forest, NC · Member since 2016 · 186 posts · 78 votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @George P.:
    Originally posted by @Nikki Grizzle:

    @George P. Do you have an answer?

     no. i was just amazed that you are asking us to identify a material by verbal explanation. 

    do u have a smart phone? if so, it should have a camera that takes pictures.

     I would have taken a picture had there been a way for me to pull over on a busy hwy. Also not a fan of just pulling up in strangers driveways. I havent seen it anywhere around my own area as of yet. I was hoping someone whose experienced with sidings/exterior materials would be able to help or someone who has actually used it. Ive searched online and all Ive found was people asking the same exact question.

  • Rental Property Investor · Wake Forest, NC · Member since 2016 · 186 posts · 78 votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Jassem A.:

    Maybe it is wallpaper. I purchased wallpaper recently that feels like vinyl and I would imagine it would protect a structure from the elements fairly well.  Also if you google outdoor or exterior wallpaper, you get a few hits:

    http://design-milk.com/get-out-wall-and-deco-outdo...

    http://www.menards.com/main/home-decor/wallpaper-a...

     I saw those online but that is not what I saw. Again, cant get pictures driving 55 on a busy hwy. I even googled the hwy to get a street view and ended up with an old image. Im hoping I can spot one somewhere in my area. Seems like I only find them out in the middle of nowhere or off a random hwy. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Wake Forest, NC · Member since 2016 · 186 posts · 78 votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Devin Morgan:

    Lol

    I think his point is you cannot ask us what something looks like, if we don't know what that something looks like. Even a simple google search on different exterior siding may have been able to help, but we can't see what we can't see ;)

     No. I completely understand which is why I was hoping a more experienced person would be able to tell me. There are some people, like builders etc. that are aware of every material out there. 

  • Barnegat, NJ · Member since 2015 · 35 posts · 4 votes
    10y

    can u take a pic. or go ask the owner of the house

  • Baltimore, MD · Member since 2014 · 91 posts · 49 votes
    10y

    But the only thing you said is it looks like wallpaper. Unfortunately there's thousands of different wallpapers. What kind of wallpaper? Do you have a picture of wallpaper it looks similar to? Is it textured? Is it smooth? Does it take multiple pieces like vinyl siding? Is it a pattern? What material does it look similar to? Is it multicolored? Atleast if you could answer those questions maybe the more experienced person can chime in. Goodluck

  • JD MartinBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Rock Star Extraordinaire · Northeast, TN · Member since 2015 · 10k+ posts · 16k+ votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Nikki Grizzle:
    Originally posted by @Devin Morgan:

    Lol

    I think his point is you cannot ask us what something looks like, if we don't know what that something looks like. Even a simple google search on different exterior siding may have been able to help, but we can't see what we can't see ;)

     No. I completely understand which is why I was hoping a more experienced person would be able to tell me. There are some people, like builders etc. that are aware of every material out there. 

     Actually, I seriously doubt there are people that are aware of every material out there. I have been working on houses for 25 years and I still run into materials I never knew existed. I would guess someone could help you if you found a picture. Maybe you should search google for a picture and post it up here. 

    Skyline Properties
    View Page
  • Rental Property Investor · Wake Forest, NC · Member since 2016 · 186 posts · 78 votes
    10y

    Just had a builder whose worked overseas and in the States enlighten me a little and knew exactly what it was. Fiber cement. Instead of the traditional looks most go for and have to choose from, there are some creative people out there making all types of designs which from a distance can resemble actual wallpaper. The work I was seeing is not as popular here in the States and possibly just not popular in my area. In some cases he said you will not be able to tell if it is wallpaper or fiber cement unless you are up close. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Wake Forest, NC · Member since 2016 · 186 posts · 78 votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Henry Winn:

    can u take a pic. or go ask the owner of the house

     2 homes were gated. They other I would if they were outside but I dont trespass and is about 4 hours away.

  • Ormond Beach , FL · Member since 2015 · 345 posts · 223 votes
    10y

    I was going to suggest possibly Hardy board siding. This is a fiber cement product that comes in different textures and colors.

  • HVAC Tech · Fort Wayne, IN · Member since 2015 · 423 posts · 223 votes
    10y

    Everyone is stupider for reading this thread. Time is precious, I want my 30 seconds back

  • Rental Property Investor · Wake Forest, NC · Member since 2016 · 186 posts · 78 votes
    10y

    @Eugene Kemp Thank you. I know absolutely nothing about siding and different materials but the basics. Do you find it to be better than vinyl? I understand it costs a little more but is it worth the extra money?

  • Rental Property Investor · Wake Forest, NC · Member since 2016 · 186 posts · 78 votes
    10y

    @Kevin Manz No one on here is stupid. They were just trying to understand what I was talking about. The whole point of BP is to help one another and that is exactly what they tried to do. I just started investing less than 6 months ago and never had a reason to inquire or learn about different materials. Now, Im constantly trying to learn about different materials that can be an alternative to what I already use. So the first place I turn to, if I do not have someone who will know the answer, is BP. And, at the end of the day, someone was able to answer my question. Instead of being negative, you could have just went on to another discussion. If your time was that precious, you would have not wasted it on this post. Just saying. 

  • Ormond Beach , FL · Member since 2015 · 345 posts · 223 votes
    10y

    it will last forever. Is that what you need? I live in Florida, so wood siding makes no sense here, but people use it. Vinyl will last too, but is also much easier to damage. Go to Home depot and look at Hardy board and decide for yourself if it will make sense for you.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.