Late Rent from tenant

Late Rent from tenant

Brooklyn, NY · Member since 2015 · 10 posts · 0 votes

Hello BP world,

One of my tenants ask to pay her rent late because of a death in her family. How can I sympathize with her and also be stern about paying on time. How should I say it without coming off inconsiderate? Please advise.

Thanks,

Brian

0Reply
127 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Denver, CO · Member since 2015 · 570 posts · 521 votes
10y

I base everything on past history. How long has she been a tenant and how long has she been making payments on time, how many times has she been late. If she's a long term tenant with a long track record of on time payments I'd make a one time exception. If she's only been renting a short time or has been spotty meaning been late once or twice per year then I'd not give her any accord at all.

See this reply in the discussion

26 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • San Jose, CA · Member since 2015 · 4k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Cynthia Nina-Soto:
    Originally posted by @Cynthia Nina-Soto:
    Originally posted by @Brian Simmonds:

    This would make sense.  If your tenant is getting paid bi-weekly this would fall in place with being her 2nd paycheck this month.  Tragedy always happens when you least expect it.  Make it a point to keep notes in your tenant folder and include any late payments and the reason for each situation.  Review this when it comes time to renew your lease.  This could very well be a one time thing and nothing to worry about, but still make it a point to notate it and refer to it when needed.  Out of curiosity, when you purchased the home did you have an opportunity to review each tenant file? notice any patterns?

    Forgot one thing.  If I where you I would send her a letter confirming that June rent is due to you no later than the agreed upon date of June 20 AND that July rent is due no later than July 1st. In your letter refer to the reason for your leniency and explain the late rent policy you have in place.  This will come in handy if you are ever in front of judge trying to evict her for non-payment of rent.  In other words - its ok to feel empathy for her situation but at the same time you are making it clear that you are no dope. :-)

     Excellent advice.  Put it in writing.  When you allow a tenant to pay late, it can legally waive your right to get it on time again.  Your behavior changes the lease terms.  And putting the agreement in writing, and that July rent must be paid on time should help to let her know this is a one-time thing.

    Been there.  I learned it all the hard way, too :-)

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.